Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2014, 08:00 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Slow reading card.

Hi, I have the K5, and I am very happy with it.

Lately I have noticed that it takes a long time for the camera to read a picture (2sec + -). I have a Scandisk 8G class 10 card, and I have the feeling that it (camera/card combo) was faster at the beginning, when it was new.

Is it I that have become more inpatient, or is the card getting tired or something else. What can be done to boost my beloved K5.

I shoot in RAW without any correction. MF most of the time.

Thanks

01-07-2014, 08:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How old is the card, just out of curiosity?
01-07-2014, 08:06 AM   #3

Original Poster
When I bought the camera, late 2011.
01-07-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
Pentaxian

When did you last reformat your card?

A lot of SD cards are designed with media usage in mind. This means writing out and reading data in a sequential order. They may have a large block write size, for example.

Let's say you have a freshly formatted SD card. You fill it up with pictures. But before transferring, in your camera you delete all the bad photos. Now there are a bunch of "holes" in the SD card's underlying file system. These holes can span blocks. To write a data on flash media, you generally have to erase the entire block, even if you want to change a single bit! This is very likely to happen if you've deleted photos without reformatting, since the empty space can be strung out across these blocks, requiring multiple erase/write cycles when only one was needed when the card was empty. Some times the quick format system in the camera does not clear all of the blocks and they build up over time which slows down the write time for the camera. some cameras have the option to do a low level format which Pentax to my knowledge doesn't have.

Try using this software made for formatting SD cards. Sometimes doing a "low level" instead of a "quick" format will clear it

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 01-07-2014 at 09:29 AM.
01-07-2014, 09:50 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks Old Bayrunner, I have formatted the card in the camera a while ago, but there was no difference. Maybe I should try the Software you suggest.
01-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Try the software but be sure to Use the FULL (erase) function. That will low level format it. Your camera may ask to format it but that's ok, reformat in camera it if it does. You should use camera format whenever you have deleted pics on your card while it's in the camera and that should keep it clear for a long time. If this doesn't help it then it may be time for a new card.
01-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you for your input, great info.
01-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #8

I always format my card in camera 4 times. There is an explanation on The internet somewhere as to why.

JD