Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2014, 02:01 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Possible Liveview Glitch

My K-5 may have a possible glitch when shooting in liveview.
(Note: I have the latest Ver. 1.15 frmware installed correctly.)

As you are aware, when shooting in liveview you have three options when it comes to focusing method - face detection, contrast AF, and phase difference AF. Since I don't use liveview for portraits, I have my camera set to use phase AF.

However, the other night as I was reviewing the shooting data on the LCD of photos that were taken in liveview, I noticed that the camera indicated that it used face detection for the focusing method. I double checked my settings, took some more test shots with the method intentionally set to phase or contrast, and for each shot the camera indicated it still used face detection anyways.

Is this a glitch anyone else has noticed?

01-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zekewhipper Quote
My K-5 may have a possible glitch when shooting in liveview.
(Note: I have the latest Ver. 1.15 frmware installed correctly.)

As you are aware, when shooting in liveview you have three options when it comes to focusing method - face detection, contrast AF, and phase difference AF. Since I don't use liveview for portraits, I have my camera set to use phase AF.

However, the other night as I was reviewing the shooting data on the LCD of photos that were taken in liveview, I noticed that the camera indicated that it used face detection for the focusing method. I double checked my settings, took some more test shots with the method intentionally set to phase or contrast, and for each shot the camera indicated it still used face detection anyways.

Is this a glitch anyone else has noticed?
Perhaps that field just shows the CDAF mode selected, and not whether CDAF of PDAF was used?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-12-2014, 04:24 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Phase difference AF is not available in live view.
01-12-2014, 06:36 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Phase difference AF is not available in live view.
Yes, it is, check your camera and manual.

01-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Yes, it is, check your camera and manual.
I suspect you could be mis-reading the manual. Can you post what the manual is saying that led you to believe phase difference focusing is available in Live View?
01-12-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

If the K-5 is anything like the K-7 then you can set the camera to use PDAF while in live view but what happens is the live view is shut off momentarily as focus is acquired then is switched back to LV. For the K-7 this is much faster than using CDAF in Live view with long lenses.
01-14-2014, 04:58 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I suspect you could be mis-reading the manual. Can you post what the manual is saying that led you to believe phase difference focusing is available in Live View?
On Page 166 of the manual -
Setting Live View
You can set the display and autofocus mode for Live View.

Face Detection AF: "Gives autofocus priority to detected faces and performs contrast autofocus."
Contrast AF: "Displays Live View and performs autofocus based on information obtained from the image sensor."
Phase Difference AF: "Cancels Live View and performs autofocus with the AF sensor."

I am not mis-reading anything. Read it for yourself.
01-14-2014, 05:08 PM   #8
Site Supporter

On Page 166 of the manual -
Setting Live View
You can set the display and autofocus mode for Live View.

Face Detection AF: "Gives autofocus priority to detected faces and performs contrast autofocus."
Contrast AF: "Displays Live View and performs autofocus based on information obtained from the image sensor."
Phase Difference AF: "Cancels Live View and performs autofocus with the AF sensor."

I am not mis-reading anything. Read it for yourself.
This means you can't do PDAF and LV (CDAF) together. It's one or the other that you choose.

01-14-2014, 05:14 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
This means you can't do PDAF and LV (CDAF) together. It's one or the other that you choose.
As soon as it focuses it goes back into liveview. So as far as users are concerned, it is the same thing.