Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Focus confirm

My new k5iis only shows the center focus confirmation red light indication even when I have 5 or 11 focus points selected. Is that normal?
My k7 would 'choose' the appropriate point and indicate as such. Some of additional points occasionally lightly flicker but only the center 'indicates' on the k5iis. I mostly used the center focus point only until recently, but I'm getting fuzzier pictures with my k5 compared to the k7. Same lenses (16-50, 50-135, 35 Limited). I know the focus is good because the fuzziness happens even when I manually focus. I have High ISO NR disabled below ISO 6400 so I know that's not the problem.

What am I doing wrong? Any ideas? Anyone else have these issues going from k7 to k5?

Thanks,

Bill

01-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The central red indicator is not a focus confirm but an indicator showing which focus detector is determining focus.

There is no selection for 5 or 11 focus indicators AFAIK only single, (user selectable) or automatic, or center.
01-15-2014, 05:04 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Lowell. Yes I understand the red light is an indicator, but my k5iis seems to only use the center indicator even when I have auto 5 or auto 11 selected. I should probably check my k7 again but I thought for sure if I had auto selected and the camera chose the far right focus point to use then it would flash red to show you where you focused. Am I wrong about that? I know my old Sony's indicated which focus point was used. Like I said before I mostly used the center, but the fuzzy photos have me concerned so my first attempt at troubleshooting was the focus system.
01-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In auto 5 or auto 11, you will only see the red focus indicators light up if you have Expanded Area AF enabled in AF settings.

Jack

01-16-2014, 12:00 PM   #5

Original Poster
Jack I'm not sure what that is. I looked in the menu's but didn't see that nomenclature anywhere. Is that a term in the manual to describe the 5/11 points spread?
01-16-2014, 02:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The expanded area AF only applies if using continuous focus (AF-C).

I just tried my K-5IIs. With the switch on the camera set to Auto AF, the red focus indicators will light in different areas as they should when putting a prominent object off center in the viewfinder. It works properly with either 5 or 11 point set in the menu.

In AF-S mode in which I tested, having the AF expanded area enabled or disabled makes no difference as it only works in AF-C mode.

Just curious if you have the AF switch on the rear of the camera set to auto or not.

Myself, I use the AF SEL mode all the time now. This way I choose the focus point rather than the camera. I have also found the center focus then recompose doesn't always work for me either. I now leave the SEL mode active all the time with a default on center point - then it is so easy to click the point to where you want it if needed.
01-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
The expanded area AF only applies if using continuous focus (AF-C).

I just tried my K-5IIs. With the switch on the camera set to Auto AF, the red focus indicators will light in different areas as they should when putting a prominent object off center in the viewfinder. It works properly with either 5 or 11 point set in the menu.

In AF-S mode in which I tested, having the AF expanded area enabled or disabled makes no difference as it only works in AF-C mode.

Just curious if you have the AF switch on the rear of the camera set to auto or not.
When you say 'expanded area AF' you are referring to 5 or 11 AF points, right? I'm confused because I can't find any menu addressing 'expanded area AF'.

Yes my k5iis AF switch on the back of the camera is all the way down in 'Auto'.

Even in AF-S the camera should use all of its AF points. When it finds the one it wants to use it should indicate as such in the VF with a red indicator, right?

While writing this I tested it again in AF-S and AF-C and now the non-center red indicators are working like my k7. Oddly it began working properly after I switched through AF-S to AF-C to M and back to AF-S. just before I did the switching I only got the center red indicator.
01-16-2014, 02:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi

Snydly P.115 of the manual for your reference. (You can just search expanded in the pdf file) - For more it - It is the first page when you press Menu - Under - AF Settings. I am using Firmware 1.4, I am not sure may be that is the reason you are using a different version.

Snydly if you move the AF switch to SEL and then choose a focus point in the view finder with the above options enabled - You will see that additional Red dots blink up.

Cheers!

01-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Snydly Quote
When you say 'expanded area AF' you are referring to 5 or 11 AF points, right? I'm confused because I can't find any menu addressing 'expanded area AF'.

Yes my k5iis AF switch on the back of the camera is all the way down in 'Auto'.

Even in AF-S the camera should use all of its AF points. When it finds the one it wants to use it should indicate as such in the VF with a red indicator, right?

While writing this I tested it again in AF-S and AF-C and now the non-center red indicators are working like my k7. Oddly it began working properly after I switched through AF-S to AF-C to M and back to AF-S. just before I did the switching I only got the center red indicator.
Deedee explained where to find the expanded area AF.

Yes, even in AF-S you should see the different focus points light up.

Also as Deedee suggested - switch to SEL and move the focus point around just to see that they are in fact there when moving them around manually.

Maybe - just maybe - the AF-S/AF-C/M switch was part way in between settings.........
01-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks Deedee and Stormtech I'll look it up.
01-16-2014, 08:52 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
@stormtech - Good call. I had it in SEL mode rather than AUTO mode. Flipped it to AUTO select, turned off Expanded Area AF and the red auto select indicator light up in the VF as they should. I never use this mode which is why I screwed it up.

Jack
01-16-2014, 09:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
@stormtech - Good call. I had it in SEL mode rather than AUTO mode. Flipped it to AUTO select, turned off Expanded Area AF and the red auto select indicator light up in the VF as they should. I never use this mode which is why I screwed it up.

Jack
Good deal - glad you got it sorted.

When I was testing this, I found that you can leave the expanded area focus turned on as it doesn't affect anything in AF-S mode. I very rarely use AF-C mode, but if I do I want the expanded area focus to be on anyway so I just leave it enabled in the menu.