Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2014, 05:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Query: Pentax K-5 II AF

Hi

Well! I did not take the advise of some of the senior members of this forum and just like a blonde got my makeup kit which I don't know how to use well. (Makes me look like a drag queen - Every now and then). - Such an advanced camera and a cheap kit lens. I should have listened to veterans telling me to spend on Lens. But well!

So I understand the camera quiet well now. Took about 4000 pictures from it. I am still using the poor man's 18-55 mm Kit lens.

I have a few questions related to AF.

1. How do I get everything into focus (What is the best technique - Landscape)? I see distant objects (Near Horizon - In Pixel peeping - Really as blurred or Burned out) - Is it my cheap lens (18-55 kit lens)?
(P.S. I have tested between F8 and F11. My F8 produces sharper results - No seriously It does. Better than F13 - Day light shooting that is). I keep the AF to Center Focussed and sometimes when putting my subject in focus along with SEL. The Auto AF chooses whatever is in the front and is stupid.

ALSO - Basically the idea - The best way to get my girl friend and the beautiful hill in the background all in focus.

2. Is there a way to group those AF points? Like in Canon 7D? (If not I hope future Firmware by Ricoh does it).

Cheers!

01-16-2014, 05:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Simple. Use the hyperfocal distance. What is this? If you put the subject at half of this hyperfocal distance, everything is behind it will be in focus. How can you find out this distance? There are on net a number of hyperfocal calculator. Anyway, this distance depends, of course, by the focal distance of your lens, the smaller, the closer the distance, by the aperture, (I think you know this), and by the size of the sensor.

Later I will try to find a good HF calculator.
01-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Deedee Quote
2. Is there a way to group those AF points? Like in Canon 7D? (If not I hope future Firmware by Ricoh does it).
You mean use more than one at a time? There's an auto area (11-point or 5-point) mode on the K-5, but not much more than that.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-16-2014, 09:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

How do I get everything into focus (What is the best technique - Landscape)?
Read up on depth-of-field. Hyperfocal distance was already mentioned, here is an online calculator: Online Depth of Field Calculator

Select camera, select focal length and aperture. For 18mm and f/9.5, the hyperfocal distance is approximately 2 meters. So focus on something 2 meters away and everything from 1 meter to infinity will be in focus. If you have a non-L version of the kit lens, it has a distance scale; use manual focus, set the lens to two meters and you're ready to go.

You can also fill in a subjet distance and it will tell you what will be in (perceived) focus.

I see distant objects (Near Horizon - In Pixel peeping - Really as blurred or Burned out
The leaf on a tree a mile away might only be one pixel; so you will not be able to see detail in the background. If you expect that kind of detail, you will be disappointed. Your eye will also not see it, by the way

Burned out is a matter of exposure; you will always have to compromise somewhere. If the subject is properly exposed, a background might be over or under exposed. In your example, you might get the best results by using matrix metering and/or using exposure compensation.

Better than F13
I don't know much about the subject of diffraction, but at f/13 you will probably run into it. As a result photo will be less sharp at f/13 (compared e.g. to f/8).

Is there a way to group those AF points?
Not familiar with a 7D so can't really tell you. But if you expect that to help you, be aware that the camera can only focus at one (and one only) distance.

I hope this helps a little.

01-17-2014, 04:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Use the hyperfocal distance.
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I hope this helps a little.
Gentlemen, Thank you, this forum indeed is a great place for people like us - Pentaxians specially. Atleast we can enjoy film era photographers and digital alike. I would read about it more. I just wanted to leave a note of thanks.

It really means a lot to me, when someone takes their time in explaining these bits and pieces. Thank you so much.

Cheers!