Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2014, 02:49 PM   #1

K5 battery depletion message/shutter will not fire

I'm new to the forum and need help. The shutter count on my K5 is approx 200,000. No problems until lately. The 1st time, the shutter would not fire and I got no message. Changed batteries and camera worked. A few days later, same thing but got the "batter depletion" message on LCD. Changed to 3 different batteries fully charged (2 Pentax, 1 bootleg), changed 3 different reformatted SD cards, changed 2 different lenses. Then the camera just locked up and I could not take photo. The 1st time it happened, I was NOT shooting in cold weather. The other times the temp was around 32 degrees. My camera had been in the warm hotel and then out with me in the day time in the cold, but not a sudden warm-up or cool-down. My backup camera (Pentax K10D) had no problems. After the K5 "rested" for 2 days, it now functions properly as far as I can tell. I know it has not "fixed" itself. When the lockup happens, the LCD screen shows images on the storage card, the LCD shows camera settings, etc, the LCD on top of the camera shows settings and can be changed, battery indicator is on full, shooting modes can be changed, auto focus works. Everything appears to be perfect until I fire the shutter off and then the lockup happens.

I have not updated the firmware on this camera (not sure I know how to do it and don't want to really screw it up, haha). I have never had the camera cleaned. I am very meticulous with my equipment. I am aware that my sensor needs to be cleaned.

Can anyone help with suggestions? Thanks so much.

01-25-2014, 03:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Scenesaver Quote
snip... The shutter count on my K5 is approx 200,000. snip...
Wow, that is a pretty high shutter count that most people couldn't even get anything close to that number.... I guess it is time to get a new camera..
01-25-2014, 04:35 PM   #3

Original Poster
Not the reply I wanted. Hopefully someone can give me direction. Thanks so much.
01-25-2014, 04:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, it is rated for 100 000 actuation's. Short of getting a new camera, you could get the shutter box replaced, if that is the actual cause of the problem. I believe it is around USD 400.00 or so, not sure of the exact amount.

01-25-2014, 05:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Not the reply I wanted. Hopefully someone can give me direction. Thanks so much.
Sorry, not intended to tease or anything.. however, I am thinking that the default setting of the k-5 for AF-S setting is that the shutter would trip only when there is focus confirmation. Perhaps, you could try to use AF-C setting if it behaves the same?
01-25-2014, 05:34 PM   #6

I had very similar symptoms on my K-5. Mine only had about 20000 actuations though, and it was still on warranty. I got it fixed for free so I don't know the actual cost.The spec from the workshop says:
Parts: 774300A101 FRONT HOUSING ASSY
Work: "Changed mirror housing switches"
01-25-2014, 07:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A few days later, same thing but got the "batter depletion" message on LCD.
This is not common, but not unknown either. Several threads about it going back awhile. Happened to me on my k-5 just prior to a Yellowstone trip. Started happening occasionally then more often until I could not trust the camera. Sent it in under the two year USA warranty and was fixed eventually. At that time there was a serious parts issue and it took quite awhile to get back to me.

It is my understanding that the mirror or mirror motor gets stuck part way through the cycle, the motor keeps trying to move and pulls the voltage below the 'depleted' level thus the message. AFAIK it has nothing to do with the battery, just the voltage sensor gets fooled because the motor is drawing at full amperage but nothing is happening.

I discovered that a good sharp smack on the butt of the camera with the heel of my hand would shake things free and allow me to continue, at least for awhile. I'm not recommending you try that though.

At any rate, it needs repaired and it will gradually get worse until it is fixed. I had about 40,000 shutter actuations on mine so you are well past that point. I think the k-5 is only rated for 100,000 anyway so it's time to send it in for service. Or consider a replacement, if you shoot that much then a nice k-3 will make you very happy.

01-25-2014, 08:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm new to the forum and need help. The shutter count on my K5 is approx 200,000. No problems until lately. The 1st time, the shutter would not fire and I got no message. Changed batteries and camera worked. A few days later, same thing but got the "batter depletion" message on LCD. Changed to 3 different batteries fully charged (2 Pentax, 1 bootleg), changed 3 different reformatted SD cards, changed 2 different lenses. Then the camera just locked up and I could not take photo. The 1st time it happened, I was NOT shooting in cold weather. The other times the temp was around 32 degrees. My camera had been in the warm hotel and then out with me in the day time in the cold, but not a sudden warm-up or cool-down. My backup camera (Pentax K10D) had no problems. After the K5 "rested" for 2 days, it now functions properly as far as I can tell. I know it has not "fixed" itself. When the lockup happens, the LCD screen shows images on the storage card, the LCD shows camera settings, etc, the LCD on top of the camera shows settings and can be changed, battery indicator is on full, shooting modes can be changed, auto focus works. Everything appears to be perfect until I fire the shutter off and then the lockup happens.

I have not updated the firmware on this camera (not sure I know how to do it and don't want to really screw it up, haha). I have never had the camera cleaned. I am very meticulous with my equipment. I am aware that my sensor needs to be cleaned.

Can anyone help with suggestions? Thanks so much.

Check this out: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/219183-autofocus-probem-de...-error-k5.html
and this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/120-general-technical-troubleshooting/197...re-things.html
I had the same problem with my K5 and it needed to be sent for repair.

JP
01-26-2014, 08:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have similar experience as jatrax woth my k5. It was around 40000 shots also. Did send it to maintenance but i have not heard anything more than month now and my k5 had not come back yet.