Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2014, 10:41 PM   #1

Stiffness when mount lens on K-5

So, I have had my K-5 for about 8 months, I just picked it up after a week of no use and have noticed that when I mount my Pentax 18-55, it sounds if the screwdrive mechanism is being moved. Also, the motion to put the lens on the camera a quite stiff. Any solutions to this problem?

Thanks in Advance!

01-28-2014, 12:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Joshua A Quote
So, I have had my K-5 for about 8 months, I just picked it up after a week of no use and have noticed that when I mount my Pentax 18-55, it sounds if the screwdrive mechanism is being moved. Also, the motion to put the lens on the camera a quite stiff. Any solutions to this problem?

Thanks in Advance!
Only with that lens?
01-28-2014, 01:00 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe you turned the focusing ring on the lens and autofocus was engaged on the camera body? Flip the AF switch and try it and see if it does the same thing. The focus ring should be free to turn when the AF lever on the body is moved to MF. If it happened before the lens was mounted, then that's genuinely weird.
01-28-2014, 03:14 AM   #4

Original Poster
Yes Mark Jerling, I have only noticed this while mounting the Pentax 18-55 WR, so I assume it has something to do with the lens mount on the particular mount.
And Aquadome, I tried using the AF switch and turning it to MF, but it seems to have no noticeable affect. The sound coming from the camera is like when you try to turn the focus ring of a lens while in AF mode (once lacking a Quick Shift function).

01-28-2014, 12:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
my 18-55 WR is naturally stiffer then my other non-WR lenses, mostly due to the rubber o-ring on the lens that seals it to the camera

for the focus thing, i have no idea
01-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #6

Original Poster
Well, regardless of the outcome, I really appreciate all of the help and advice you guys have given me, so thank you a lot.
01-29-2014, 02:38 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joshua A Quote
Yes Mark Jerling, I have only noticed this while mounting the Pentax 18-55 WR, so I assume it has something to do with the lens mount on the particular mount.
And Aquadome, I tried using the AF switch and turning it to MF, but it seems to have no noticeable affect. The sound coming from the camera is like when you try to turn the focus ring of a lens while in AF mode (once lacking a Quick Shift function).
Hi Joshua
Can you inspect the contact and check if there's any dirt visible? Other than that, does the o-ring seal appear to be in the correct location? Lastly, do you have the ability to check this lens on another Pentax body? As you have established the problem exists only with this lens on this camera body, I'd be interested to hear if it can be duplicated with another body.
Hope that helps!
Regards,
Mark