Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2014, 02:00 PM   #1

K-5 IIs and Firmware and SDXC Speeds

Quick question you guys. I am eyeballing the 64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC card. Now as I understand it, SDXC cards can be a little goofy with operating speeds, firmware versions and all that and I am just wondering if there are any issues I should be made aware of. Any issues? Does the 32GB SDHC version of the same card work faster with this particular body? Give me the scoop!

Thanks.

01-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kryscendo Quote
Quick question you guys. I am eyeballing the 64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC card. Now as I understand it, SDXC cards can be a little goofy with operating speeds, firmware versions and all that and I am just wondering if there are any issues I should be made aware of. Any issues? Does the 32GB SDHC version of the same card work faster with this particular body? Give me the scoop!

Thanks.
The K-5 can't write faster than around 30Mb/s regardless of card type. Haven't had any issues with my sandisk SDXC cards personally.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-5 can't write faster than around 30Mb/s regardless of card type. Haven't had any issues with my sandisk SDXC cards personally.
The K-5 II and IIs are still locked at those speeds, even with firmware updates?
01-28-2014, 02:08 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-5 II and IIs are still locked at those speeds, even with firmware updates?
Yup, because the K-5, K-5 II and K-5 IIs all have the same hardware (except for the AF module). The K-3 can go much higher however- it would be bad if it couldn't because of those big files

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-28-2014, 05:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

still locked at those speeds
Its a hardware limitation. I use Sony 94mbps 32GB SDHC - No problems at all. Never felt any lag.