Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2014, 03:42 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
filter for overexposed skies

As the sun light in Greece, where I"m living and shooting, is usually very strong, I'm constantly getting overexposed skies with my K-5. When using the highlight correction option in Menu - C, the ISO is locked to 200, which I'm not sure is a help for this issue. Maybe I could get a filter for the kit lens. Any suggestions?

02-02-2014, 03:56 AM   #2

For bright blue skies, you can try a circular polarizer filter, in effect, it will reduce light by 1/2, while darkening the sky by even more than that. You may want to read up on how it works. The effect is strongest when shooting at a 90-degree angle from the sun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CircularPolarizer.jpg is the effect you are probably looking for.
02-02-2014, 04:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian

There are split ND filters
02-02-2014, 04:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I doubt a polariser will help, they usually reduce reflections/glare rather than overexposure.

Best option (filter wise) would be a Neutral Density filter, or even better a graduated ND filter. Basically an ND filter that's dark at the top and gradually less dark until it's just glass at the bottom.
Here's a pic of one from Tiffen:
http://www.tiffen.com/hi-res/color-grad_nd.6.jpg

There's different kinds of them, how many stops of light, how gradual the cutoff is, etc.

The other option, which is a lot easier these days, and allows a fair bit more flexibility, is to bracket the shots. Take a few metered for the sky, a few metered for the ground, and a few average metered.
Then just combine them in software neatly for a properly exposed image.

02-02-2014, 05:19 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chrisss Quote
As the sun light in Greece, where I"m living and shooting, is usually very strong, I'm constantly getting overexposed skies with my K-5. When using the highlight correction option in Menu - C, the ISO is locked to 200, which I'm not sure is a help for this issue. Maybe I could get a filter for the kit lens. Any suggestions?
A Neutral Density filter, or a Graduated Neutral Density filter (which has only half the lens darkened - and you put the line over the horizon).

However, another approach - either by itself or coupled with the ND, would be to lower your ISO on the K5 to 80. You would loose the highlight correction - but its not doing that much for you right now. This would cut the light (from the sky) by a bit more than half - but the K5's sensor is so good, you could recover the bottom half of the scene in post processing. With the sun so bright, the higher ISOs really do not help. You can also reduce your aperture (f8 - f11) if you are not doing so anyway - maybe even more f22.

I also like the bracketing idea a lot from hks_kansei. That works very well for me here in Arizona (we get a lot of sunlight here too)

02-02-2014, 05:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 3 stop square graduated ND filter is probably your best (non-software) option. Circular grad ND are similar but they give you fewer composition options.
02-02-2014, 06:45 AM   #7

Setup your exposure on the birght (not the brightest) part, shoot RAW and fill shadows in LR/ACR.
02-02-2014, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

+1 for shooting in RAW and fixing it in LR. I often use the gradient tool with a -0.5 exposure for the skies just to give it a bit more pop. I also use the Luminance slider on the blue channel to deepen the blues.

Before LR:

After:

Last edited by Kozlok; 02-02-2014 at 08:52 AM.
02-02-2014, 09:16 AM   #9
Site Supporter

This is a good question and relevant to issues I have occasionally, but I'm gonna jump in and add the question: Any opinion on colored filters? It's winter in Missouri and that means skies are Gray with a capital G, bright and cold. I've looked at graduated color filters to fill this in with some vibrancy and to tone down the brightness. So has anyone used graduated color filters to tone down (tone up?) a bland bright sky?
02-02-2014, 09:30 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
I doubt a polariser will help, they usually reduce reflections/glare rather than overexposure..
The polarizer can work to selectively darken the sky on a sunny blue sky day. Light coming through the sky is slightly polarized, allowing that portion of light in addition to the usual 50% of randomly aligned light to be blocked. That extra difference will cause the sky to selectively become darker with respect to the rest of the scene.

Given, this method has some specific conditions (blue sky, looking 90-deg from sunlight) in order to work maximally, so it will not be a catch-all solution. One thing to note about the second condition is that the FOV of wide angle lenses (e.g. 18mm) tend to extend beyond the "sweet spot" so you will have a weird anti-vignetting effect in the sky, where the lateral edges are overexposed.
02-02-2014, 09:50 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Given a properly exposed RAW file why not just wait till later and deal with it in PP?

Last edited by wildman; 02-17-2014 at 02:19 AM.
02-02-2014, 10:07 AM   #12

Actually, I forgot to ask, chrisss, do you have any example shots that show the overexposed sky?
02-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chrisss Quote
I'm constantly getting overexposed skies
Shoot raw. Meter the scene so the sky is not overexposed. Lift shadows in PP.

or

Change camera position and shoot sidelit rather than backlit.
02-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I"m looking into the various filter suggestions and the same time evaluating my work up to now. I realize some mistakes I"ve made with respect to ISO and the pentax highlight correction which was not leading me right.I"ve turned if off. I'm now trying as narrow aperture as possible without falling under 100 shutter speed on the kit lens and 300 shutter speed on the tamron 70 - 300mm zoom whilst keeping ISO around 100, if not 80. Sprint113- instead of troubling the forum with my former images I'll be back with experience about the new ones. Thanks again.
02-03-2014, 08:53 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Like others have mentioned there are graduated ND filters but I dont recommend you get a circular one because they are very inflexible. A better solution are the square ones that you can slide around in the holder so that the split can be oriented however you want. Of course the drawback is that its cumbersome.

Edit: I see abacus said the same thing before.