Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2014, 04:00 AM   #1

K 5 II metering accuracy?

Hey guys I'm a little new to the Pentax system, and have been experimenting with my K 5 II a little, and I find the metering mode in multi-segment/ Matrix/Evaulative metering is a little off; as in I always find I need to overexpose 1.7EV-2EV to get the "correct exposure".

This seems to be the case in centred weighted metering mode too, haven't tested spot metering so can't say on this.

So is this normal to K 5 II? And which metering mode on Pentax is the most "accurate"?

Thanks

02-02-2014, 06:47 AM   #2

I think 'spot', because it is a small area, so it needs less calculations. I think the smaller the area the better. I always use center weighted (K-5 and K-5II).
02-03-2014, 05:46 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Serpiente Quote
I think 'spot', because it is a small area, so it needs less calculations. I think the smaller the area the better. I always use center weighted (K-5 and K-5II).
Right, I assume spot too, just like you have motioned. However is the 1.7-2EV overexposure normal?
02-03-2014, 07:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What are you taking pictures of? If your shooting mostly white (snow, walls, etc), your meter won't be able to meter correctly. I know if I'm shooting in snow, +1.5 to +2.0 is normal for any make & model of camera.

02-04-2014, 06:43 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
What are you taking pictures of? If your shooting mostly white (snow, walls, etc), your meter won't be able to meter correctly. I know if I'm shooting in snow, +1.5 to +2.0 is normal for any make & model of camera.
Yes for snow it would be, any camera metering system would not give accurate meter. I'm talking about metering in general, I find the inaccuracy more so in backlit situations, in general situations there is tendency to underexpose too.
02-04-2014, 11:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ColiNiloK Quote
And which metering mode on Pentax is the most "accurate"?
It depends on the lighting, the scene - and the lens.

Some older lenses (or even newer non-Pentax brand lenses, perhaps) may only work in centre-weighted average metering mode.

If I am using telephoto and shooting for example small birds I will usually choose centre-weighted because all the subject is going to be in the centre. If I am shooting a landscape scene or cityscape with a wide angle lens I will choose matrix metering. If I am shooting a band in very low-light with say a lens like the FA50 1.4, I will usually switch to centre-weighted because I don't need to have all the dark background clutter on stage metered, just a single performer, and because of this centre-weighted will also let me use lower ISOs or faster shutter speeds.

You may also like to check that you don't have 'link AE to AF point' checked on your camera. That could be skewing your AE in unexpected ways.