Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Rugged? Yes. K5II

I just wanted to take a minute and just restate how awesome these cameras are. I have had my K5II since November of 2012 and since then, have taking thousands of shots. It still works like it did the first day I got it. I tend to "baby" my gear, but a month after I got it, I was attempting to take a picture of my family with the 40 mm 2.8 limited attached and had an accident. It being a prime lens, I could only back up so far, so I thought I'd go inside and try to shoot through a raised window. Of course, I only need an extra foot for perfect composition and to avoid getting the window frame in the shot. I was leaning on the window sill and resting my knees on an ottoman when I must have forgotten about gravity for a split second. I fell through the window, dropping my camera from about 3 feet up. It bounced around and barely had a scratch. I think the Pancake lens saved the mount that day.

In another clumsy adventure, I did a photoshoot, just days ago. I arrived at the location a few mins before just to scout out some ideal scenery. I found the perfect spot a few steps down from a fountain and began climbing back up the steps. I'm not sure if it was the skinny jeans or my lack of hurdling skills, but I found myself tripping over the last step and falling towards the pavement. My K5II was in my hand and I wasn't throwing it this time. I fell, catching myself with my left hand and then my camera absorbing the right side of my body's weight. It's a good thing these guys are made of metal.

A few scratches and a few tears, but this camera keeps on kicking. Thanks Pentax(Ricoh)!

02-03-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My II recently pivoted on its shoulder strap (carelessly my arm was not through the strap) and encountered a garden brick at speed. No issues other than emotional scars.
Strong proof that a rugged camera must remain part of my kit!
02-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K5's screen protector is cracked from a drop. I've also had it fall on its lens hood, the lens eventually broke but the camera's great.
I do try to be a LOT more careful now, though...that drop was scary.
02-03-2014, 02:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Karen's K7 went flying on cobblestones in 2011 and only had a few scrapes. Tough cameras.

David