Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #1
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why I Won't Be Buying A K5IIs

Last Friday I decided to finally get a K5IIs. B&H had them for $699. I also was going to buy the battery grip and a battery.

I called B&H only to find they close early on Fridays, something about the Sabbath. I thought Sunday was the Sabbath, but I guess I was wrong.

So now I gotta start going to church on Friday afternoons.

Anyway, I fired up the computer and went to the B&H web page.

Another issue. As I tried to sign into my account it told me my user name and password were incorrect. I double ans triple checked and sure enough, I had it right. Well I couldn't call B&H customer service, as they were at church.

Next I clicked on the link or them to send me my password and waited.

And waited.

And waited.

And waited.

After a couple hours I figured the computer program that send me my password must have gone to church too, so I tried to make the purchase as a guest.

I filled out all the info, double checked it, and clicked submit.

Guess what?

The online store closed at 5 and it was 5:01.

So I composed and sent a complaint to B&H customer service.

I got a response today that said:

QuoteQuote:
Please check your junkmail, both in outlook, if applicable, and online, for the reset link.

Please first contact the Sales department before ordering - only they can answer you as to the pricing at payment. B&H is not responsible for errors coming from PayPal's end.

A copy of our communication is available to them, if needed, for your and their convenience,
I am not new to the electronic age. I checked and rechecked the junk mail folder.

And the problem had nothing to do with PayPal.

The password e-mail finally came, about 6 hours after I requested it. It did not land in my junk mail folder either.

I called B&H today to try and place the order again. After drilling through the myriad menus and then waiting on hold for a bit a guy comes on the line. I politely explain the circumstances from last Friday, he puts me on a "brief hold" that lasts about 15 minutes, the says he can "give" it to me or $799.

Wait a minute.

This guy is trying to make me feel like he is giving me a deal, for the price that the camera is listed for today!

I insist that they honor the price from last Friday and he says no.

Guess they have enough customers and don't need my business anymore.

02-03-2014, 05:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Completely unrelated to the camera, but for Jewish people the Sabbath is sunset Friday through Sunset Saturday.

That does suck about the pricing though, I would be contacting them again and asking to speak to a supervisor or whoever they have.
Just keep the records of all the Friday afternoon ordeal.
02-03-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

That really sucks. I would have just completed the transaction as an anonymous user and kissed the "points" goodbye.

Steve
02-03-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
Completely unrelated to the camera, but for Jewish people the Sabbath is sunset Friday through Sunset Saturday.

That does suck about the pricing though, I would be contacting them again and asking to speak to a supervisor or whoever they have.
Just keep the records of all the Friday afternoon ordeal.
Completely agree

02-03-2014, 05:56 PM   #5
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That really sucks. I would have just completed the transaction as an anonymous user and kissed the "points" goodbye.

Steve
That was my last action Friday, and it booted me at 5:01.
02-03-2014, 06:11 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

B&H and Adorama have always had this policy and very clearly state on their websites on Fridays that they will be closed from dusk to dusk.

Contact HenryP on the B&H thread here at PF - document everything - and see what happens.

I'd bet the price refusal comes at least partly from Denver and MAP pricing as much as it comes from B&H, since January 31 also expired during your blackout period.
02-03-2014, 06:11 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why don't you post the question to the B&H area here on the Forum?

02-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Sorry for your bad experience.

I think that B&H's online site used to stop accepting orders from anyone, whether or not you had an established account, at the start of the Sabbath (which varies every week but is announced via a pop-up). I believe the rationale was that even if the owners/staff were not working, it would be inconsistent to allow their site to accept orders during that time. So you might not have been able to complete the order as a visitor either.

They may have changed their policy so that the site accepts orders after sundown, I'm not sure.

Looks like once again, I've been of no help whatsoever to another forum member.
02-03-2014, 06:16 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Maybe take your tale of woe to Adorama (or another store) and see if they'll sell you one for that price. They'd be mad not to 'steal' a customer off the competition.
02-03-2014, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Its insane that in this day and age websites are halted. I can understand B&M stores need to be shut and employees have to leave - but why should it affect websites??? Its beyond me....
02-03-2014, 06:16 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Kinda a *not cool* thread.

It borders on anti-Semitism.

Antisemitism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jewish folks don't call their religious place of worship a church.

To continually call it that is definitely uncool.

Any chance we can get the OP to change some of the wording in his post?

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Last Friday I decided to finally get a K5IIs. B&H had them for $699. I also was going to buy the battery grip and a battery.

I called B&H only to find they close early on Fridays, something about the Sabbath. I thought Sunday was the Sabbath, but I guess I was wrong.

So now I gotta start going to church on Friday afternoons.

Anyway, I fired up the computer and went to the B&H web page.

Another issue. As I tried to sign into my account it told me my user name and password were incorrect. I double ans triple checked and sure enough, I had it right. Well I couldn't call B&H customer service, as they were at church.

Next I clicked on the link or them to send me my password and waited.

And waited.

And waited.

And waited.

After a couple hours I figured the computer program that send me my password must have gone to church too, so I tried to make the purchase as a guest.

I filled out all the info, double checked it, and clicked submit.

Guess what?

The online store closed at 5 and it was 5:01.

So I composed and sent a complaint to B&H customer service.

I got a response today that said:

I am not new to the electronic age. I checked and rechecked the junk mail folder.

And the problem had nothing to do with PayPal.

The password e-mail finally came, about 6 hours after I requested it. It did not land in my junk mail folder either.

I called B&H today to try and place the order again. After drilling through the myriad menus and then waiting on hold for a bit a guy comes on the line. I politely explain the circumstances from last Friday, he puts me on a "brief hold" that lasts about 15 minutes, the says he can "give" it to me or $799.

Wait a minute.

This guy is trying to make me feel like he is giving me a deal, for the price that the camera is listed for today!

I insist that they honor the price from last Friday and he says no.

Guess they have enough customers and don't need my business anymore.
02-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #12
Pentaxian

My issue was far less painful but similar. Last Saturday I waited a few hours before b&h would process my used lens order that was sitting in my cart, only to notice later that someone had posted a better deal in the Marketplace!

Lousy timing can strike us all; I hope this is resolved in your favor.
02-03-2014, 06:24 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Maybe take your tale of woe to Adorama (or another store) and see if they'll sell you one for that price. They'd be mad not to 'steal' a customer off the competition.
QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
Its insane that in this day and age websites are halted. I can understand B&M stores need to be shut and employees have to leave - but why should it affect websites??? Its beyond me....
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote

Neither B&H nor Adorama 'work' on the Sabbath. In their belief, accepting orders over the Internet on the Sabbath constitutes work. Who do we think we are to tell them how to run their businesses and how to interpret and apply their religious beliefs? It is their business, not ours.

I grew up in a Hasidic community. On the 'Jewish Holidays' there were four little Christians in my elementary school classes. We were invited to Seder by friends every year and their grandfathers were every bit as hard on us for our mispronunciation of the text as they were on their own grandchildren, but over time we learned our parts and understood.

I can't imagine someone complaining because I choose to read from the Book of Common Prayer at 10:00am every Sunday rather than answering the telephone at my office or responding to emails from my corporate website.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-03-2014 at 06:31 PM.
02-03-2014, 06:26 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I thought Sunday was the Sabbath, but I guess I was wrong.
Nice........
02-03-2014, 06:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote

I read it as the OP not knowing that they were Jewish (even now we don't I'm just making an assumption since the Jewish sabbath lines up with the time they said they weren't working)

I very, very, much doubt it's anything close to antisemitism, and much more likely that RacerX just doesn't know all teh Jewish traditions/rules/whatever.

I work for a Jewish firm, and until I started here I didn't realise the Jewish sabbath was a saturday. I had never given it any thought (just as I have no idea what day the sabbath is for Hindus, Muslims, Bhuddists, or even if they have a sabbath?)

As for the word "church" isn't it just a descriptive term for any religious place of worship rather than denomination specific?
Closed Thread