Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2014, 11:06 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 AF "focus priority" revisiting with questions !

Well, I have been my K5 for quite some time and I am still puzzled with the fact that even if I set the AF to be triggered with "focus prority", (in AF-S, burst mode) it seems that it fires continously anyway even if the subject is out of focus range.

I checked this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/177437-af-s-vs-af-c-intere...servation.html among a few others, but I am somewhat clueless of why this is happening.

Maybe I am not setting the camera properly?
Can anyone shed some "light" on this?

Thanks!

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 02-12-2014 at 11:13 AM.
02-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I ran into this a while back. I seem to remember having to turn the camera off and on AFTER setting it in the menu for it to work for me.
02-12-2014, 12:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
I ran into this a while back. I seem to remember having to turn the camera off and on AFTER setting it in the menu for it to work for me.
Really ?

I had no idea that this could actually help.
I'll give it a go when I am back from work tonight. (Imeant ... when it's not dark !)

Thanks.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 02-12-2014 at 12:21 PM.
02-12-2014, 03:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Well, I have been my K5 for quite some time and I am still puzzled with the fact that even if I set the AF to be triggered with "focus prority", (in AF-S, burst mode) it seems that it fires continously anyway even if the subject is out of focus range.

I checked this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/177437-af-s-vs-af-c-intere...servation.html among a few others, but I am somewhat clueless of why this is happening.

Maybe I am not setting the camera properly?
Can anyone shed some "light" on this?

Thanks!

JP
I noticed the same. What I figured out that once ANY part of the scene I am shooting is in focus it will just fire away.
In other words if I am shooting sports and I have a blurred subject, chances are it locked focus on something other than the subject....most times the background. The focus priority doesn't care what part of the scene is in focus as long as SOMETHING is in focus.
Hope this makes sense

Thanks

Randy

02-13-2014, 08:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
I noticed the same. What I figured out that once ANY part of the scene I am shooting is in focus it will just fire away.
In other words if I am shooting sports and I have a blurred subject, chances are it locked focus on something other than the subject....most times the background. The focus priority doesn't care what part of the scene is in focus as long as SOMETHING is in focus.
Hope this makes sense

Thanks

Randy
Yes, it does make sense !
That would explain why the AF will keep firing on "something" that is not the intended target.

In that case, one might as well use Manual focus with CIF (catch-in-focus).

Thanks for the info.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 02-13-2014 at 08:39 AM. Reason: added info