Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2014, 10:57 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good stuff. Glad you had fun.
How close to the ground were you on pic 11?
Did you have a chance to make it out to Red Rocks or Lake Mead?
Both of those places have red rocks and rock formations like Valley of Fire. Beautiful stuff.
Maybe because I live in Vegas and make it out to Red Rocks, Mead, or Valley of Fire on a near weekly basis, I get "used to" the beauty and it becomes normal. It's always good for visitors such as yourself to give me some perspective on how special and beautiful these these wonders of nature actually are.

03-04-2014, 11:01 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
How close to the ground were you on pic 11?
Did you have a chance to make it out to Red Rocks or Lake Mead?
For 11 I was flat on my stomach, face in the sand

I did not have a chance to make it to Red Rocks or Lake Mead, unfortunately. I was only there for five days. So much to see and do.\

Full set is here if anyone wants to see it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fk7photo/sets/72157641891290155/

Last edited by FrancisK7; 03-05-2014 at 01:12 AM.
03-05-2014, 06:57 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Awesome shots there, maybe I will post a few that I took, glad you enjoyed Vegas and at least experienced things here other then just gambling. This whole area is a treasure trove of good shots, I am so glad I moved back here in Vegas.
if I get tired of shots of this place I can always head for the coast.

PS: tell me more about how you can get a shot printed on metal, sounds interesting
03-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I use Black River Imaging for my metal prints. They print on aluminium sheets, which makes the colors really pop. You can add a laser cut acrylic panel on top, and either use a gator block to create a floating off the wall effect, or use four brushed metal standoffs, which is what I prefer.

It's expensive. A 16x20 will cost around 200$ with shipping, but there's no substitute in my book. While in Vegas I visited Peter Lik's galleries, and he also prints on metal.

For those photos you want to proudly display on your wall, a gallery wrap is my go-to option for a cheap print, but metal is the way to go for best results.

Here's the link: Black River Imaging | Metal Prints

03-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #35

Great shots. I knew you'd love that bag. I love, LOVE mine.
03-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Indeed it is great and I really think it made my trip more enjoyable because I never felt worried about damaging my gear since its so well padded nor did I fear having it stolen because it doesn't scream "HEY I AM A CAMERA BAG STEAL ME"

I won't hesitate to recommend it to others, so thank you for pointing me in its direction!
03-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

I will pack sigma 10-20 or alike, and a 50/1.4 or a like.
03-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #38

FrancisK7, Wow! Great photos! I'm going to Vegas next month and was wondering what to photograph besides the strip. Valley of Fire just went to the top of the list. I've been wondering what lenses to take and it looks like the wider the better. Critique wise, I don't see anything to comment on - just hope I can get some shots as good as these.

BirdDude007, we are also going for a car related event - it is the 50th anniversary of the Mustang. Don't own a Mustang - just going there for a half marathon with friends but every participant has a chance to win a new Shelby so with luck I'll be able to drive one home LOL.

03-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #39
Veteran Member

FrancisK7 - really nice photos! May I ask which lens(es) that you used for most of these? The rocks and sky really put on a nice show, which you captured well. You will have a difficult time determining which becomes the featured photo for your big print. Thanks for sharing.
03-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Glenn, DA12-24 for everything

Thanks for looking!
03-06-2014, 09:29 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I ended up choosing this one.

03-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #42
Site Supporter

Nice series, and thanks for posting. I did not make a lens recommendation in the pre-trip thread as you were already shying away from it...the 12-24 :-)
03-07-2014, 12:13 AM   #43
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FrancisK7 Quote
I ended up choosing this one.
I really like this composition. Your shots are agitating my LBA; getting me all riled up for a super wide lens.
I may be off base here but the sky looks a little unnaturally blue.
03-07-2014, 12:24 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I`ve gotten blue skies like this in the past with a simple graduated polarizing filter and no PP. Or HDR. But I'm too lazy to bother these days In fact, many of the shots I showed here, I also took a HDR version of with 5 bracketed exposures. I had a lot of success at Chichen Itza with HDR, and two of those prints are on my wall in acrylic prints right now. But when I compared the HDR versions (processed in Photomatix) to the simple LR5 version, I immediately hated the HDR. I don't know why. I just immediately knew I preferred my non-HDR shots. It reminded me more of what I had seen that day.

My PP is typically vibrant and constrasty and edges on over-saturation, but it's part of my brand now and it would be difficult to undo the habit. I see different PP styles all the time that are so different but work so beautifully as well. For instance, many wedding photogs I admire use a desaturared look, either to mimic film or because they like it. I'm not necessarily a fan of VSCO and even though I did try to imitate the style plenty of times, it never worked as well for me.

I'm curious if your monitor is calibrated, though? My workstation monitors are but my laptop isn't, and when I first did my PP on the laptop, I had to re-do it completely once I got home. Just a thought.
03-07-2014, 12:31 AM   #45
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FrancisK7 Quote
I`ve gotten blue skies like this in the past with a simple graduated polarizing filter and no PP. Or HDR. But I'm too lazy to bother these days In fact, many of the shots I showed here, I also took a HDR version of with 5 bracketed exposures. I had a lot of success at Chichen Itza with HDR, and two of those prints are on my wall in acrylic prints right now. But when I compared the HDR versions (processed in Photomatix) to the simple LR5 version, I immediately hated the HDR. I don't know why. I just immediately knew I preferred my non-HDR shots. It reminded me more of what I had seen that day.

My PP is typically vibrant and constrasty and edges on over-saturation, but it's part of my brand now and it would be difficult to undo the habit. I see different PP styles all the time that are so different but work so beautifully as well. For instance, many wedding photogs I admire use a desaturared look, either to mimic film or because they like it. I'm not necessarily a fan of VSCO and even though I did try to imitate the style plenty of times, it never worked as well for me.

I'm curious if your monitor is calibrated, though? My workstation monitors are but my laptop isn't, and when I first did my PP on the laptop, I had to re-do it completely once I got home. Just a thought.
And I thought my LBA was dead! Is that just one frame from the DA12-24 or a pano stitch?