Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-13-2014, 11:56 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
New K-5iis seems sluggish following one jpeg..

This is my first post here and I appreciate any help.
I have a new K-5iis and am surprised how slowly it moves to show images for review. Following even one jpeg I get the hourglass symbol for about 1 second after pressing the review button. I think I've reset all menu items, all corrections off, 3-star jpg, firmware is 1.06. (Was also "slow" with firmware 1.00, so I upgraded.) The SD card is a non brand name class 6 that I reformatted. Deleting photos also seems slow. Seems strange to me... my k10D is more responsive in same circumstance. Should I expect to see that hourglass after taking one jpeg? I guess I would expect this after a burst not a single photo.
Thanks much~

02-14-2014, 02:06 AM   #2

Your problem might be the card, I suggest you try a better one.
02-14-2014, 02:07 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try a class 10 card and it will feel faster. You'll still get the hourglass, unfortunately, but only for a moment following the capture if instant review is turned off.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-14-2014, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

I feel your pain. All of my old SD cards were class 4!! I even had some that are measured in *mega*bytes! For real! Can we say pack rat? Anyway, you can get some good class 10 cards for around $20-40, depending on size & speed.

02-14-2014, 04:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Future proof yourself and invest in the Sandisk extreme pro cards - whenever you go to a newer camera the cards will be still be competive or at least reasonably fast, as well as the fastest the K5II will allow.

David
02-14-2014, 04:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Typically I would advise to:
-Disable all corrections (shadow, CA, distortion).
-Disable guide screen, preview.
-Make sure you don't have things like timer or bracketing enabled.
-Copy all the photos from your SD card to your computer, and then format the SD card in-camera ("Format", not "delete all").
But I guess you already did these.

You can also try buying a faster card, but make sure its a good brand, like Sandisk. A class 10 from a good brand beats a class 10 from another brand. I avoid Sony cards. Lexar and Transcend might also be okay, from what I read.
02-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll push the SanDisk Extreme cards as well. I'm still using a pair of 4 Gb I bought with my camera in 2007 with no problems at all.

I never, never, never delete from the card, and always format the card with the camera when I put it in. I have heard that the addressing system on the SD cards is not the same as on a computer, but I don't take any chances. It doesn't take any more time to format than to delete all.

02-14-2014, 10:58 PM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hello - I've been hoping that the card is the weak link. After reading your responses I looked up more info on SD cards, finding more than I could imagine... Multiple classifications applying to same card... It's still odd to me that customers like us have to learn that Class 6 or 10 of one brand may be different from same class of another brand. I found info suggesting that there are even differences within brands.
Anyhow, glad I posted the question and really appreciate everyone taking time to help!
02-15-2014, 05:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blueberrybob Quote
It's still odd to me that customers like us have to learn that Class 6 or 10 of one brand may be different from same class of another brand. I found info suggesting that there are even differences within brands.
Yes, SD cards are messy business. Hope you get something that suits your needs
02-15-2014, 11:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have a class 10 and still get this. If there are a lot of photos on the card, it seems to take longer. If it's pretty fresh, it's fast enough for my tastes. The location of the file on the card may matter, as the K-5 II/s probably doesn't have the best file seeking performance.
02-15-2014, 04:56 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
I have a class 10 and still get this. If there are a lot of photos on the card, it seems to take longer. If it's pretty fresh, it's fast enough for my tastes. The location of the file on the card may matter, as the K-5 II/s probably doesn't have the best file seeking performance.
There's a wide variance in class 10 cards. Some are slower than others.
02-21-2014, 08:49 AM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
There's a wide variance in class 10 cards. Some are slower than others.
Class ratings are merely minimum read and write speed that the card must exceed. For Class 10, that is 10MB/s, and since that is the fastest spec around, all the faster cards simply list Class 10.

Also, is this lag when you want to review a picture immediately after shooting? If so, this could be the result of shooting at high ISO. If I recall correctly, at ISO3200 and above, the camera will perform some noise reduction regardless of your NR settings, which will take some additional processing time before the image is ready for review.