Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #1
Site Supporter

K5IIs Occasional freeze or crash

Hi all,

Periodically my K5iis goes into crash/freeze mode - all screens are frozen and nothing works. Switching on/off has no effect. I had the same problem with a K10 and eventually discovered that if I released the battery then put it in again everything came back to life. After around a year of this intermittent problem it seemed to disappear on the K10 (after two years ownership the K10 was stolen in a burglary, so I don't know if it was along term problem). I don't recall this ever happening with my K20 which replaced the K10.

After about two months ownership of my brand new K5iis the same problem occurred (I've had the camera about 9 months). Its intermittent - usually out of doors but not always, doesn't matter what lens I have mounted. It doesn't seem to be affected by what settings I'm using, or the charge in the battery. Fortunately its not happening very frequently (I'd guess maybe once every 10 or so outings, I've not been keeping a record), which is the reason I haven't raised it yet with the shop I purchased the camera from (200 mile round trip to take it into the shop), particularly since I have my own 'fix' to get the camera working again. However it's random appearance can be a real nuisance, causing me to miss shots on one or two occasions. I'm also a bit concerned it may be an indication of a serious underlying problem.

Any body else having this problem or have suggestions as to cause or remedy?

Clive G

PS Great camera otherwise

02-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Firmware update? They usually fix some stability glitches in each one.
02-17-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Things that are usually associated with fixing occasional hiccups are:
- firmware update
- making sure batteries are charged
- maybe getting another battery

Other things you can try is to make sure the camera mount is free of grime, and that the SD card's contacts are clean.
02-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

And perhaps cleaning the battery chamber contacts as well.

02-17-2014, 12:45 PM   #5
Pentaxian

My K5 has a similar problem. Mirror goes up, shutter opens and then everything freezes. Only way to get the camera going is by pulling the battery out.

A few things I noticed:
- It happens more often when using a SDM lens
- It happens mostly when shooting a high speed burst
- It happens when the battery is nearly depleted (amber or red display)

Switching the AF.C to FPS-priority and AF.S to Release-priority seemed to help quite a bit, although it is not a solution. Changing the battery as soon as the display gets amber also helps.
04-03-2014, 07:00 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, this also happens to my K7, K5, as well as my current K30. Taking out the battery and replacing it with a fresh one works.
04-06-2014, 04:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Yes I confirm, sometimes it just randomly freezes. It is not an annoyance though.

Proud owner of Pentax K-5 II.

I consider it like my wife, who is always - always angry and keep working (all the time) but when she is happy or relaxed she just sits and watches TV

Both are unfixable.
04-08-2014, 05:49 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

My K5 did this when it was pretty new, but hasn't since. Even the new battery I bought doesn't seem to cause any problems now. I don't know whether Pentax ever commented on the phenomenon.