Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #16
Emperor and Senpai

I do my K5 and my full spectrum K-01.

02-17-2014, 04:46 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
Just curious, I know a lot of us have multiple bodies or systems for different purposes. And I know why professionals have multiple bodies. But I find for myself I never seem to pick up the older model after talking myself into a 2nd body and end up selling it and going with the newer of the two. So what are you carrying and why?

JJ
Depends on what I'm doing, but I like having 2 bodies at times. It's almost always to have two types of lenses (long/short, wide/ fast, zoom/ macro), but sometimes I'll have an IR cam and a normal one or sometimes I'll bring the Q for times where I want to be a bit more discreet. There are other times when I plan on using manual lenses, so if I have space, I'll bring the k30 with me for focus peaking. Of course when I'm on vacation, I'll bring a backup body (so my thailand trip, I had a k7 ir converted, k5iis, k30, and a Q). It made my photography quicker which the wife appreciates.
02-17-2014, 04:48 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Two (or more) bodies at all times!
With photo and video going on with me at the same time, there is no question that I need more cameras!

Long gone are the days where one camera would be enough.

(Not to mention having several zooms - the sound kind - and my new favorite H6 with me!)

02-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #19
Forum Member

Just curious, I know a lot of us have multiple bodies or systems for different purposes. And I know why professionals have multiple bodies. But I find for myself I never seem to pick up the older model after talking myself into a 2nd body and end up selling it and going with the newer of the two. So what are you carrying and why?

JJ
Pentax issues FF and I buy it for portraits, indoors, sky@night and landscapes. I still leave my trusty 5IIs half frame for long tele work and APS-C optimised glass. This is the only scenario I could have two bodies in my photography enthusiast activities. Things certainly would look differently if I was to do an event photography. In such circumstances I shall have another body available at hand in case of the main body failure

02-17-2014, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
5 + 10?
Hello JJ,
Good question. I'm keeping my K10D, not because it's the most up-to-date, versatile or all-purpose, but mainly because it's not.
The weak high-ISO performance means it's great for scenics, timed exposures or saturated, high-res situations. Slow A/F is overcome by using legacy glass, mostly M/F. No video, LV, tricky menu options to confuse me.
Because what it does, it does very well. The CCD sensor renders in an entirely different way from any CMOS I've viewed. Many other users of CCD's feel the same, several of whom also own CMOS-equipped bodies.
I've used the same lenses on the K-10D, K-7 and K-5 (classic) and for low-ISO scenic, macro and abstract, the K10D produces the warmest colors, best tonal gradiation, bokeh and film-like clarity/sharpness, of any.
Yes, the K-5 (and 7, for that matter) do a lot of modern things better, and surely a K-3 would raise the bar even more. So, I use the K-5 when I need it and add the K10D for special purpose work, about 1/3 of my shooting currently.
I use both at car shows, macro shoots, live performance events and scenic.
Different bodies, like lenses, produce different results. In this case, it's the sensor type and rendering. Some may value a higher-performance body (functions) as a backup, especially for professional work.
Either way, it's a low-cost backup when you need it.
Ron
Well put. To this day I regret selling my K10D for the reasons you list above
02-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My main body is a K-30, my second is a K-01- they're two completely different animals in terms of build and handling.

K-30 is better when using larger lenses and a hot-shoe flash because it's easier to grip and sturdier. The K-01 is better for video and walking around with a smaller lens. What's great is that they both produce the same quality and I can swap lenses and accessories anytime I want.

It's the best of both worlds.
02-17-2014, 05:34 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a K-5, and a K-20 which became the backup in case of K-5 failure. After almost 2 years, K-5 failed. Used K-20 for one weekend. Got second new K-5 so I would have identical controls. Now I have a spare K-20 with grip that needs a home. I try not to actually use two bodies at one outing as I like to keep the images in sequence for the most part, and it takes a bit of effort to renumber them to do that.
02-17-2014, 06:02 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I use a 2nd, 3rd and 4th body - I do try not to have more than 2 cameras hanging from me at a time, but alas I often can't help myself. Priority goes like this K3 and a K5 then the K01 and last another K3. Then there is the WG3 and the Nikon P7700.

With all those cameras I can keep my sensors clean

02-17-2014, 06:31 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
I use a 2nd, 3rd and 4th body - I do try not to have more than 2 cameras hanging from me at a time, but alas I often can't help myself. Priority goes like this K3 and a K5 then the K01 and last another K3. Then there is the WG3 and the Nikon P7700.

With all those cameras I can keep my sensors clean
Just curious why not k3x2?

JJ
02-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I finally went digital in March 2012. I purchased a K5. Last year, before a trip out west, I purchased a K5-IIs. I am a firm believer in the old saying that two is one and one is none. I know that if I took the trip with only one camera, it would have failed. But since I had two cameras, neither one failed.
02-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I am amateur enthusiast only. I have K-5 and K100dSuper, but carry only one with me at a time. The K100dSuper has wonderful CCD colors, is a little lighter, and replacement cost is very low. I take it when I am concerned about possible damage or security. It is slow, but still takes great pictures.
02-17-2014, 07:19 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I use 2 bodies for some shoots, but since they're both the same, (K-x) I don't have to debate which one to pick up.
02-17-2014, 08:04 PM   #28
Veteran Member

My last shoot. I had my K-x as a back up body, someone in here mentioned I should just have a lens on it and use it alonside the K-5, however since the layout of the cameras are so different, I found it easier to just use the K-5 and just switch lenses as I shot
02-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #29
Emperor and Senpai

I probably wouldn't have a backup body with me when out other than for the reason that I do pictures in either IR or FS with the K-01. If it were still just normal light it would likely sit at home most of the time.
02-17-2014, 08:07 PM   #30
Site Supporter

So what are you carrying and why?
It takes a while to get a camera repaired here in New Zealand so I now make sure I have a back up body. I don't always have both on me but for things like school sports I will use both the K5iis (with a short lens) and K3 (with telephoto) just for the convenience factor.