Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-17-2014, 03:23 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Who uses a 2nd body?

Just curious, I know a lot of us have multiple bodies or systems for different purposes. And I know why professionals have multiple bodies. But I find for myself I never seem to pick up the older model after talking myself into a 2nd body and end up selling it and going with the newer of the two. So what are you carrying and why?

JJ

02-17-2014, 03:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I still carry my K-30 in case something happens to my K-5.
02-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

2nd body for events and high risk scenario. Ie ice skating with a camera and taking low profile shots. I don't ice skate.
02-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
Brooke Meyer

At first, two K-20's, then two K-5s, now two K5IIs's. One wide and one longer lens for events, portrait sessions and travel. Always the same model body ( K-5 & K5IIs doesn't count) so layout and batteries are same. Once I start shooting, I am not thinking about the camera so different control layouts are a deal breaker for me. Same with flashes. Everything in my bag is has a backup.

02-17-2014, 03:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I occasionally do this at my children's school events, since I have mostly prime lenses. In my case it is the K-01 and the K-5. I have a *istDS, but its high ISO is not as good as the K-01.
02-17-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I will be getting either a K-30 or a K-5 soon. I will be keeping my K-x as backup. I use my cameras for work so yeah, I need two bodies. Can't be without one if something happens. But I also have a little Oly M43 camera that I use a lot and film bodies I use when I can manage to afford to develop my film. I like my M43 set up a lot actually now that I have a VF finally. It's like having a P&S sized camera that can go with me wherever only it has the facility to do more. I used to lug the K-x or a film camera around a lot with me, but now I pop the Oly in my purse instead. It's lighter which is far easier on my body, very portable. I like having a camera with me at all times but I'm not a person who shoots with their phone or tablet really so the little Oly, it's better for that. I could never use it for work though. For that I still need a DSLR.
02-17-2014, 03:45 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

I keep one body loaded with and SD card, another with Tri-x and the third with Portra :-)

02-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hiking and street I use the Kr. K3 for everything else. K100d is for the fiance, but she'll be moving into the Kr.

Can't beat the size and quality of the Kr for when size matters.
02-17-2014, 03:49 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
I keep one body loaded with and SD card, another with Tri-x and the third with Portra :-)
I'm tempted to start carrying my ist* film body...

JJ
02-17-2014, 03:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only for professional shoots. I'm being paid not to screw up. Otherwise, no.
02-17-2014, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

5 + 10?

Hello JJ,
Good question. I'm keeping my K10D, not because it's the most up-to-date, versatile or all-purpose, but mainly because it's not.
The weak high-ISO performance means it's great for scenics, timed exposures or saturated, high-res situations. Slow A/F is overcome by using legacy glass, mostly M/F. No video, LV, tricky menu options to confuse me.
Because what it does, it does very well. The CCD sensor renders in an entirely different way from any CMOS I've viewed. Many other users of CCD's feel the same, several of whom also own CMOS-equipped bodies.
I've used the same lenses on the K-10D, K-7 and K-5 (classic) and for low-ISO scenic, macro and abstract, the K10D produces the warmest colors, best tonal gradiation, bokeh and film-like clarity/sharpness, of any.
Yes, the K-5 (and 7, for that matter) do a lot of modern things better, and surely a K-3 would raise the bar even more. So, I use the K-5 when I need it and add the K10D for special purpose work, about 1/3 of my shooting currently.
I use both at car shows, macro shoots, live performance events and scenic.
Different bodies, like lenses, produce different results. In this case, it's the sensor type and rendering. Some may value a higher-performance body (functions) as a backup, especially for professional work.
Either way, it's a low-cost backup when you need it.
Ron
02-17-2014, 04:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

It's probably a remnant from the old days. I had a Super Program and a Super ME, one with a nice prime or a wide lens and the other one with a zoom. Or one loaded with 100ISO film and the other one with 400 or 800ISO allowing me to get proper exposure in almost any situation. And I had to change the film only half as often...

So now, when I travel I always bring both my K5 and my K-r. Mostly as a backup if one was to fail but also to have two different types of lenses loaded and ready to go. I didn't plan on having two bodies but after getting my K5 I couldn't get rid of my trusty K-r.

Right now, both cameras are sitting in their little shelf, one with a 50-135 and the other with a 17-70, so no matter comes my way, being a nice sunset or a small critter running in my yard, I've got it covered.

One thing I would recommend (as someone has already mentioned) I would like to have two of the same body, or a very similar (i.e. K5iis and K5 or K5 and K7). The K5 and K-r aren't too far off as far as button position but I often end up hitting the wrong button or missing the second scroll wheel. Also carrying two sets of battery and two different chargers kind of suck.
02-17-2014, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello JJ,
Good question. I'm keeping my K10D, not because it's the most up-to-date, versatile or all-purpose, but mainly because it's not.
The weak high-ISO performance means it's great for scenics, timed exposures or saturated, high-res situations. Slow A/F is overcome by using legacy glass, mostly M/F. No video, LV, tricky menu options to confuse me.
Because what it does, it does very well. The CCD sensor renders in an entirely different way from any CMOS I've viewed. Many other users of CCD's feel the same, several of whom also own CMOS-equipped bodies.
I've used the same lenses on the K-10D, K-7 and K-5 (classic) and for low-ISO scenic, macro and abstract, the K10D produces the warmest colors, best tonal gradiation, bokeh and film-like clarity/sharpness, of any.
Yes, the K-5 (and 7, for that matter) do a lot of modern things better, and surely a K-3 would raise the bar even more. So, I use the K-5 when I need it and add the K10D for special purpose work, about 1/3 of my shooting currently.
I use both at car shows, macro shoots, live performance events and scenic.
Different bodies, like lenses, produce different results. In this case, it's the sensor type and rendering. Some may value a higher-performance body (functions) as a backup, especially for professional work.
Ron
Forgot about the beauty of the CCD, especially for Infrared. My CMOS's can't come close (for engineering reasons).
02-17-2014, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello JJ,
Yes, the K-5 (and 7, for that matter) do a lot of modern things better, and surely a K-3 would raise the bar even more. So, I use the K-5 when I need it and the K10D for special purpose work, about 1/3 of my shooting currently.
Ron
Very informative, I may break out the *istDS just to see what niche it fills, I guess with the price drops on k5IIs and all the positive things being said on the k3 it's hard to resist adding to the collection. I've always ran a model year behind so it's not a latest greatest must have thing. Just love the hobby and trying new things...And right now I'm just running a K5 which I have no complaints with...

JJ
02-17-2014, 04:38 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
So what are you carrying and why?
For serious shoots (as opposed to a casual walkaround),
always two bodies.

I love primes, so wide angle on one, tele on the other.

Originally, two K-x bodies.
Now, a K5 and a K-50.
(Also maybe a Q with K-lens adapter for super-tele.)