Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #76
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
It's understandable your on the road earning a living for your family, and avoiding your wife's wrath over the new toy...keep those wheels turning

JJ
Yes, keep those wheel safely turning ... and I will be there in a moment to second with duct tape in hand J

02-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Yes, keep those wheel safely turning ... and I will be there in a moment to second with duct tape in hand J
That's funny I don't care who you are, and I'm afraid to ask about the duct tape....

JJ
02-24-2014, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #78
Site Supporter

That's funny I don't care who you are, and I'm afraid to ask about the duct tape....

JJ
It's an inside joke from another thread ... the K-3 "hociR" thread, J
02-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
It's an inside joke from another thread ... the K-3 "hociR" thread, J

Me and my wife peach have six kids so duct tape takes on a whole new meaning lol

JJ

02-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #80

Original Poster
. . . . . . and avoiding your wife's wrath over the new toy...
She's only joking around. We're good!

After the bills are paid any of the money left over that I earn is mine to use as I please. We have always done our finances that way.

Eliminates something to argue about.
02-24-2014, 03:06 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
She's only joking around. We're good!

After the bills are paid any of the money left over that I earn is mine to use as I please. We have always done our finances that way.

Eliminates something to argue about.
I'm sure, me and peach have a similar deal as long as no one starves or goes nekked oh wait we have six kids never mind....

JJ
02-24-2014, 03:15 PM   #82

Original Poster
I'm sure, me and peach have a similar deal as long as no one starves or goes nekked oh wait we have six kids never mind....

JJ
Six children?

Sheesh!

Well, I guess someone has to do it.
02-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Six children?

Sheesh!

Well, I guess someone has to do it.
Yeah apparently a few to many times lmao...wouldn't trade it for the world though...

JJ

02-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #84

Original Poster
Yeah apparently a few to many times lmao...wouldn't trade it for the world though...

JJ
Never heard a parent ever express regret.

Having never created any of my own (that I know of) I can say that sometimes I wish I had. Mrs. Racer's 2 offspring treat me like a dad, even though they were both full grown adults by the time I entered the scene.

Their biological father has been largely uninvolved in their lives, and the stepfather they had for 20 years is, well, I don't think this is the place for the kind of description that would fit him.
02-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #85
Pentaxian

So help me find the settings for the ISO 80 14 bit raw!
For ISO 80 just enable expanded ISO under custom functions, and likewise reduce the minimum ISO to 80 for auto-iso. For the 14 bit raw, just shoot in raw mode, you get 14bit automatically, which isn't available on the K-01/30/50 models (they use 12 bit).

Also, the 5iis has a hair more surface area exposed on the photosites from the AA filterless design than the K5, which registers a little more dynamic range on Dxomark.

All in all, a digital darkroom dream.
02-24-2014, 10:30 PM   #86

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
For ISO 80 just enable expanded ISO under custom functions, and likewise reduce the minimum ISO to 80 for auto-iso. For the 14 bit raw, just shoot in raw mode, you get 14bit automatically, which isn't available on the K-01/30/50 models (they use 12 bit).

Also, the 5iis has a hair more surface area exposed on the photosites from the AA filterless design than the K5, which registers a little more dynamic range on Dxomark.

All in all, a digital darkroom dream.
Thank you very much for the insight.

Just digging around the menus looking for this just now has opened up a couple more features I had not yet discovered.
02-26-2014, 11:18 PM   #87

Original Poster
Well I have had a few days to use the new camera, and so far I am impressed. First, I mostly shoot in manual mode. The exposure meter is pretty much right on, more so than the K10 I have. I always had to compensate for the K10, it tended to underexpose by 2 to 3 stops. The K5IIs makes a nice shot, every time, with the meter set right at the middle.

I have also tried the in camera HDR, not sure I like it so much. I have found that it either overexposes the shot(s), or at other settings it looks like the exposure is OK, but the dynamic range just isn't there. Maybe I need to read the manual, perhaps there is something I'm missing by just muddling through the menus and squeezing the shutter button.

One feature it has I really like is the button on the mode dial that prevents the dial from being turned inadvertently. Nice touch!

The resulting RAW image files are about twice the size as the ones from the K10, about 19mb over about 9 to 10mb. The quality of the images is fantastic, but I need to pay more attention to the focus.

Getting used to the 4-way control on the back took some getting accustomed to, as well as learning that some features are only available in certain shooting modes.

The extended ISO is great, I keep it down at 80 (Thanks to jeffshaddix for pointing me in the right direction there!) and the colors and saturation remind me of the results I used to get with Kodachrome.

More to come here as I get more familiar with this great camera!

Oh, and I posted some shots from the last day or two here: Racer's Having Fun With The K5IIs

Please, check them out. Tell me how "suckalicious" they are.
02-27-2014, 07:18 AM   #88
Veteran Member

Well I have had a few days to use the new camera, and so far I am impressed. First, I mostly shoot in manual mode. The exposure meter is pretty much right on, more so than the K10 I have. I always had to compensate for the K10, it tended to underexpose by 2 to 3 stops. The K5IIs makes a nice shot, every time, with the meter set right at the middle.

I have also tried the in camera HDR, not sure I like it so much. I have found that it either overexposes the shot(s), or at other settings it looks like the exposure is OK, but the dynamic range just isn't there. Maybe I need to read the manual, perhaps there is something I'm missing by just muddling through the menus and squeezing the shutter button.

One feature it has I really like is the button on the mode dial that prevents the dial from being turned inadvertently. Nice touch!

The resulting RAW image files are about twice the size as the ones from the K10, about 19mb over about 9 to 10mb. The quality of the images is fantastic, but I need to pay more attention to the focus.

Getting used to the 4-way control on the back took some getting accustomed to, as well as learning that some features are only available in certain shooting modes.

The extended ISO is great, I keep it down at 80 (Thanks to jeffshaddix for pointing me in the right direction there!) and the colors and saturation remind me of the results I used to get with Kodachrome.

More to come here as I get more familiar with this great camera!

Oh, and I posted some shots from the last day or two here: Racer's Having Fun With The K5IIs

Please, check them out. Tell me how "suckalicious" they are.

It's interesting to see your reaction to the camera as we've had them about the same amount of time, but me coming from the K-5, things have barely changed at all for me, just another day with practically the same camera, just improvements in the areas I felt were important enough to upgrade. I wasn't thrilled with the in camera HDR either, but the images weren't terrible when I shot some night shots in Vegas last year. I think to truly get what you're looking for and have control, you need to use third party software, otherwise you get what you get when the camera spits an image out.
02-27-2014, 01:28 PM   #89

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
It's interesting to see your reaction to the camera as we've had them about the same amount of time, but me coming from the K-5, things have barely changed at all for me, just another day with practically the same camera, just improvements in the areas I felt were important enough to upgrade. I wasn't thrilled with the in camera HDR either, but the images weren't terrible when I shot some night shots in Vegas last year. I think to truly get what you're looking for and have control, you need to use third party software, otherwise you get what you get when the camera spits an image out.
That's right Justin. For me it was a big jump from the K10.

I used the K10 last year on a walk around Vegas. I bumped the ISO and did my best to shoot it all handheld. MOst of the shots were marginal, a few came out OK.

Based on the few high ISO handheld shots I have done with the K5IIs so far I am optimistic that it will provide some very good results.

And for sure, the in camera HDR is lacking, and I will have to give the Photoshop version a try when I get home.
02-27-2014, 01:35 PM   #90
Veteran Member

That's right Justin. For me it was a big jump from the K10.

I used the K10 last year on a walk around Vegas. I bumped the ISO and did my best to shoot it all handheld. MOst of the shots were marginal, a few came out OK.

Based on the few high ISO handheld shots I have done with the K5IIs so far I am optimistic that it will provide some very good results.

And for sure, the in camera HDR is lacking, and I will have to give the Photoshop version a try when I get home.

I like the look of the noise when shooting black and white at high ISOs. I've been very pleased with the abilities of the SR and high ISO to hand hold in low light.