Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2014, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #1
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's Here!

After much debating with myself over the purchase, and a small hiccup or two actually getting the thing and the journey it took to my doorstep, it is finally here.

The Brown truck rumbled down the road and then up my driveway yesterday, the nice man hopped out (where do they get all that energy?) and we exchanged packages. I had a radiator for my 1948 Ford 8N tractor that had issues with manufacturing defects and had to be returned to the merchant in North Carolina. Mr. UPS had a box with my name on it from New York City.

Specifically from B&H Photo in New York City.

I would like to take a moment to thank Mr. Henry Posner at B&H for helping to straighten things out after a snafu when I tried to place the order. Without his intervention I would not be making this post. So thank you Mr. Posner!

A comment about the shipping. Understand that my comment here reflects in no way on anyone except the carrier. Also, I am simply whining, I understand the weather this time of year can be a pain.

The parcel was supposedly delayed by the "bad" weather in Illinois for 3 days. The tracking showed it sitting at a UPS hub near Chicago from last Thursday until Monday of this week. The thing is, I was within 15 miles of the UPS hub in Chicago last Thursday and although it was about 15 degrees out, the weather was sunny.

Weather delay my eye.

Anyway, it is here, and now I am learning the differences between the K5IIs and the K10. I had a similar experience about 7 years ago when I added the K10 to my kit when changing from the *istDL.

Not quite 24 hours and I have the batteries charged, a lens mounted, and after assimilating the contents of the 336 page manual I will take my first picture with this wonderful new camera.

Even though I was there when it came, and I had to sign for it, I took a shot of it waiting on my doorstep just for fun. The K10 was eager to stay in service, so I figured it should have the honor of documenting its new sibling.

Then I began to open things up.

Get a grip!

Power up! {Notice the hociR?}

All the usual stuff! {There is is again! The mighty hociR is everywhere!}

So I am excited, to say the least. Expect many questions in the coming days and weeks. Oh, and I don't expect to retire the K10. As many others have found, it does have certain qualities that should keep it in the kit and active for quite some time.

Happy shooting!

02-20-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats...I'm jealous lol....

JJ
02-20-2014, 09:48 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Woot! Congratulations.
Take a picture of your truck without an anti-aliasing filter in the way... enjoy the crispness!
02-20-2014, 09:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I bought my K5 used and later two used batteries. I guess that they no longer come with those nifty battery protectors.

02-20-2014, 09:52 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You are going to like the camera! Think of it as a hedge and protection against a potential K-3 purchase

Many kudos to Henry Posner for making everything right for you at B&H too

Steve
02-20-2014, 09:54 AM   #6
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
Congrats...I'm jealous lol....

JJ
Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Woot! Congratulations.
And thank you too!

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Take a picture of your truck without an anti-aliasing filter in the way... enjoy the crispness!
I can't wait. I should be getting word from the Mother Ship today about my next adventure and lap of North America. Once I am rolling I will be eagerly looking for some photo ops!

02-20-2014, 10:06 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You are going to like the camera! Think of it as a hedge and protection against a potential K-3 purchase
Yeah that won't happen, it always turns into well if this camera is so awesome I wonder what I could do with the next one up lol...

JJ

02-20-2014, 10:14 AM   #8
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
I bought my K5 used and later two used batteries.
Used? How is it holding up?

QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
I guess that they no longer come with those nifty battery protectors.
Battery protectors? Do tell.

You are going to like the camera!
As do I. I have read many great things here about them.

Think of it as a hedge and protection against a potential K-3 purchase
Absolutely!

But notice that hociR has spilled over into everything . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Many kudos to Henry Posner for making everything right for you at B&H too
Yes, indeed!
02-20-2014, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #9
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, ok, congratulations

"No, no, no, you have to mean it!"

Hey, congratz! Now you need to upgrade your whole line of lenses to fulfil the potential of the IIs
02-20-2014, 10:39 AM   #10
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
Yeah that won't happen, it always turns into well if this camera is so awesome I wonder what I could do with the next one up lol...

JJ
I had been holding off on the K5 in favor of what ultimately was the K3. When it was released and was not {{{FF}}} it wasn't so difficult to make the choice.

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Ok, ok, congratulations

"No, no, no, you have to mean it!"
You're funny!

And thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Hey, congratz! Now you need to upgrade your whole line of lenses to fulfil the potential of the IIs
I have a full line of very good, actually excellent, manual glass that will ensure that this camera will make the very best photographs!
02-20-2014, 10:53 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Now I know why you will not buy a K3.
02-20-2014, 11:43 AM   #12
Pentaxian

CONGRATZ
CONGRATZ
CONGRATZ
CONGRATZ
CONGRATZ
& Enjoy, J
02-20-2014, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #13
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Now I know why you will not buy a K3.
Like, you know, now that the bank account balance is like, you know, all depleted and stuff, well, like, you know? I gotta get to work and start saving for the next big thing to come along.

Like, you know?

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
CONGRATZ
CONGRATZ
CONGRATZ
CONGRATZ
CONGRATZ
& Enjoy, J
Why thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you,thank you!

And I will!

Like, you know?
02-20-2014, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

I'm jealous. I ordered mine yesterday from Quantico, Va and Brown delivered it to my house in Pa today. I won't be back until tomorrow, so it will likely stay in the box under my wife's care until I'm home to get it out of the box.
02-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #15
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
I'm jealous. I ordered mine yesterday from Quantico, Va and Brown delivered it to my house in Pa today. I won't be back until tomorrow, so it will likely stay in the box under my wife's care until I'm home to get it out of the box.
Congratulations!

From what everyone tells me I made a great choice. I am looking forward to creating some images with it.

Oh, and wives are good for something then, huh?