Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #16
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Happy days, we wont get any sense out of you for the next few days at least.

---------- Post added 20th Feb 2014 at 07:42 PM ----------

Happy days for you, we are sure not to get any sense out of you for the next few days, while you play with your new toy.

02-20-2014, 12:46 PM   #17
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it too early to order the K-3GTI??

Not that I'm envious or anything
02-20-2014, 01:05 PM   #18
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Happy days, we wont get any sense out of you for the next few days at least.

---------- Post added 20th Feb 2014 at 07:42 PM ----------

Happy days for you, we are sure not to get any sense out of you for the next few days, while you play with your new toy.
Like you got anything that made any sense out of me before?

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Is it too early to order the K-3GTI??

Not that I'm envious or anything
K-3GTI?

Is that a new model?

Made by Volkswagen in conjunction with Pentax?
02-20-2014, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Battery protectors? Do tell.
Both of my K20 batteries came with a plastic terminal protector.

Used? How is it holding up?
K5 is scheduled for replacement with the first full frame Pentax as soon as the second full frame Pentax goes on sale.

02-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #20
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
Both of my K20 batteries came with a plastic terminal protector.
I see. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
K5 is scheduled for replacement with the first full frame Pentax as soon as the second full frame Pentax goes on sale.
Just don't sell out for a K3! You know about hociR, right?
02-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #21
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
You of all people... Would it help with some malt juice?

Like you got anything that made any sense out of me before?
You aren't all that different, the two of you...!

K-3GTI?

Is that a new model?

Made by Volkswagen in conjunction with Pentax?
I've changed my mind. I want the K-3V8.

Oh yeah
02-20-2014, 01:37 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I'm a K-3TDI guy myself. Diesel all the way.

02-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #23
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I've changed my mind. I want the K-3V8.

Oh yeah
QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
I'm a K-3TDI guy myself. Diesel all the way.
True Motorheads I see.

Nice.

I feel like I am among friends!
02-20-2014, 01:42 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Enjoy learning the new camera! I am a huge fan of the K-5IIs - enough to honestly say that I have no urge to upgrade to the K-3. Even though I only upgraded from the K-5, the AF decisiveness and accuracy alone was a huge difference. And since I am a stickler for super sharp images, the lack of AA filter is just awesome!

And a comment about B&H - I've always been so disconcerted when receiving a lens from the big 3 vendors over the years - so poorly packaged. Most of the time the camera or lens box was loose slopping around inside the shipping carton. When I received my latest purchase from B&H from one of the Black Friday deals (DA*300), I was so happy to see that industrial type bubble wrap stuffed tightly in the box. I see a glimpse of that packaging in one of your shots. This alone has swayed me to send more of my business to B&H along with their usual great customer service.

And in case you didn't know - here is a link for the manual in .pdf form. I like to reference the manual on my computer a lot of times - very handy. The manual listed for the K-5II also includes the K-5IIs.

Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
02-20-2014, 01:52 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Enjoy learning the new camera! I am a huge fan of the K-5IIs - enough to honestly say that I have no urge to upgrade to the K-3. Even though I only upgraded from the K-5, the AF decisiveness and accuracy alone was a huge difference. And since I am a stickler for super sharp images, the lack of AA filter is just awesome!

And a comment about B&H - I've always been so disconcerted when receiving a lens from the big 3 vendors over the years - so poorly packaged. Most of the time the camera or lens box was loose slopping around inside the shipping carton. When I received my latest purchase from B&H from one of the Black Friday deals (DA*300), I was so happy to see that industrial type bubble wrap stuffed tightly in the box. I see a glimpse of that packaging in one of your shots. This alone has swayed me to send more of my business to B&H along with their usual great customer service.

And in case you didn't know - here is a link for the manual in .pdf form. I like to reference the manual on my computer a lot of times - very handy. The manual listed for the K-5II also includes the K-5IIs.

Same boat, K-5 to K-5 IIs. Looking forward to the improved autofocus and sharper images. Thanks for the manual link, but as a K-5 shooter, is there anything there that's different? I've heard the interface and menus are the same as are the controls and layout.
02-20-2014, 02:04 PM   #26
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

Thanks Stan, downloaded it last week!
02-20-2014, 02:48 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Same boat, K-5 to K-5 IIs. Looking forward to the improved autofocus and sharper images. Thanks for the manual link, but as a K-5 shooter, is there anything there that's different? I've heard the interface and menus are the same as are the controls and layout.
Nothing different as far as controls like you say. I'm not sure if the K-5 had the Expanded Area AF like the IIS does. I've never made a real comparison, but seem to have dug deeper into the IIs custom controls more than I had with my K-5.
02-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Nothing different as far as controls like you say. I'm not sure if the K-5 had the Expanded Area AF like the IIS does. I've never made a real comparison, but seem to have dug deeper into the IIs custom controls more than I had with my K-5.
I'll take a look at them tomorrow and compare the menus. As for the expanded AF areas, are you talking about the two far left and right areas outside of the main "bracket" with the square shaped AF points? The K-5 does have those. If the size of the AF points is modifiable, I believe that is a change from the K-5.
02-20-2014, 05:25 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I'll take a look at them tomorrow and compare the menus. As for the expanded AF areas, are you talking about the two far left and right areas outside of the main "bracket" with the square shaped AF points? The K-5 does have those. If the size of the AF points is modifiable, I believe that is a change from the K-5.
Sorry - I should have explained better. What I meant was the AF tracking which they call Expanded Area Focusing in the manual. It is on page 115 of the .pdf manual - in the camera menu it is on the first page of the menu in the "AF Settings" item. I'm not sure if the K-5 had this as I never looked for it when I had one.

Basically what it does is when you have it set for continuous focusing (AF-C) and multi-point focus points, the focusing will track the subject from one focus point to an adjacent one as the subject moves about in the frame.
02-20-2014, 05:27 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Sorry - I should have explained better. What I meant was the AF tracking which they call Expanded Area Focusing in the manual. It is on page 115 of the .pdf manual - in the camera menu it is on the first page of the menu in the "AF Settings" item. I'm not sure if the K-5 had this as I never looked for it when I had one.

Basically what it does is when you have it set for continuous focusing (AF-C) and multi-point focus points, the focusing will track the subject from one focus point to an adjacent one as the subject moves about in the frame.
That makes sense. I'll have to check the manual for the size of those focus points as a lot of gripes about the K-5 were that it's focus points are the size of a barn.