Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #1

K5 does not write photos I take just after deleting some, until I restart the camera.

I am using Sandisk Extreme 64GB SDXC card with my K5 that has v1.15 running on it.

The camera saves pictures fine when using automatic lenses as long as I do not delete a photo. If I delete a photo, any photo I take after that is not saved. To be able to save the photos after deleting one or more, I need to restart the camera.

The camera is also having trouble saving pictures taken in manual mode. However, I have not been able to reproduce that problem predictably, and will add that detail here after more testing.

Is this behavior normal? Can I fix it from the menu?

I bought this camera off e-bay 2 days ago and if this is a defect, I would rather return it.

02-20-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Have you formatted the card? That is often the easiest fix for weird behavior in the viewing, saving or deleting of images.
02-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Have you formatted the card? That is often the easiest fix for weird behavior in the viewing, saving or deleting of images.
Yeah, I have formatted the card and tried again. This happens everytime I try it.
02-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #4
Pentaxian

It doesn't sound like the camera is writing anything to the card, but just holding the images in the buffer. Try another card.

02-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It doesn't sound like the camera is writing anything to the card, but just holding the images in the buffer. Try another card.
Agreed, and possibly one that is lower spec. I'm not sure the K-5 can handle a SDXC card. (p.55 of the manual "This camera uses either an SD Memory Card or an SDHC Memory Card
(commercially available)".
02-20-2014, 03:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Agreed, and possibly one that is lower spec. I'm not sure the K-5 can handle a SDXC card. (p.55 of the manual "This camera uses either an SD Memory Card or an SDHC Memory Card
(commercially available)".
Later firmware allowed use of SDXC so it should work, but I see a note about UHS-1.
Latest K-5 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
02-20-2014, 04:02 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Later firmware allowed use of SDXC so it should work, but I see a note about UHS-1.
Latest K-5 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
I have the latest firmware v1.15. The SDXC is supported from v1.02. If the card is UHS-1, it will not run at it max speed, but instead at reduced speeds that K5 supports.

I had formatted the card earlier before I made the post, but that was using the disk utility of my laptop. I formatted it again using the camera's software and it seems to have solved the problem!

Is there any difference in the way two methods format the card?
02-20-2014, 04:29 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sumitshankargupta Quote
I had formatted the card earlier before I made the post, but that was using the disk utility of my laptop. I formatted it again using the camera's software and it seems to have solved the problem! Is there any difference in the way two methods format the card?
Most likely. The card should be formatted to exFAT, which is what I believe the camera does.

Whenever you have card issues the first step should be to format it in-camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #9
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sumitshankargupta Quote
Is there any difference in the way two methods format the card?
Yes. I also have a card that my computer complains might be corrupt whenever I mount it, but my camera is currently using without problems. So there are some small differences in the way the data is indexed or otherwise managed that can cause large problems but not on every system.
02-20-2014, 06:01 PM   #10

Try to isolate the problem; figure out if it is the SD card or camera that is causing the problem.

Try another SD card if you have one or put the SD card into your computer and try to copy a bunch of data onto it.

If it is the SD card that is causing the issue, you can try to do a full format (as opposed to quick format) of the SD card on a PC (doesn't matter what format, as long as you reformat it in the camera afterwards). This usually has the computer go through and zero each block of data, and can also identify any bad storage blocks. Or just get it replaced by the manufacturer.