Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2014, 03:04 AM   #31
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
It probably has to do with crumple zones, crash ratings & highway safety. Most vehicles made for the American market have areas that are designed to crumple in a crash & absorb the impact.
I have a hard time imagining that the rules are very different over here. At least they aren't for smaller vehicles, might be they are for the big ones, I wouldn't know.

02-27-2014, 03:11 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can make a travel book with photos of all those places where you go, and those beautiful machine you encounter. I almost envy you for this.
02-27-2014, 07:22 AM   #33
Pentaxian

I'm jealous you're getting time to play with your new camera. Work is killing me right now and temporarily living in a neighborhood of townhouses between two highways doesn't have much to photograph that interests me. I did shoot a couple frames of film yesterday during the heavy snow with the KM trying to finish a roll of film to get the camera out to Eric though.
02-27-2014, 11:44 AM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dieseler Quote
Looks like the weather has improved somewhat!
Sunny, but still cold. I didn't see anything above the 20's (F) until today. It was still freezing in Fairview, but I just stopped at Monteagle and it is 39.

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Nice pictures, btw. As always
Thank you

I wonder, is it a cultural thing that most trucks are long nosed in the US and flat nosed in Europe? Or is it just that the flat noses require less space?
It probably has to do with crumple zones, crash ratings & highway safety. Most vehicles made for the American market have areas that are designed to crumple in a crash & absorb the impact.
I have a hard time imagining that the rules are very different over here. At least they aren't for smaller vehicles, might be they are for the big ones, I wouldn't know.
The reason European trucks are cabovers is because the roads are generally narrower and tighter. A cabover truck provides a shorter package. You will notice the trailers are a bit shorter over there too.

The trend away from cabovers to conventionals in North America was driven by multiple factors. Maintenance and repair is easier, the ride is better and a roomier, more comfortable sleeper can be included.

As far as crumple zones, crash ratings and highway safety goes, there are no standards for class 8 trucks in the US. Unlike cars, big trucks are not subjected to rash testing.

And unlike cars, airbags are not required, only safety belts. Volvo is the only class 8 truck manufacturer that includes a driver side airbag.

So the cabover/conventional thing is really about not having room to maneuver in Europe and having plenty of room in North America.

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
You can make a travel book with photos of all those places where you go, and those beautiful machine you encounter. I almost envy you for this.
Thank you Jimmy!

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
I'm jealous you're getting time to play with your new camera. Work is killing me right now and temporarily living in a neighborhood of townhouses between two highways doesn't have much to photograph that interests me. I did shoot a couple frames of film yesterday during the heavy snow with the KM trying to finish a roll of film to get the camera out to Eric though.
I know how you feel. The first week I had the K5IIs there were more important things that needed done.

Give it time, and be patient.

03-02-2014, 10:48 PM   #35

Original Poster
Spent the weekend in Blacksburg, South Carolina and bobtailed to the store for groceries. Took a shortcut through the back roads, and spied a mess of rusty relics wasting away in a filed. I just had to stop and grab a few.

Here are a couple. More to follow.

Still getting used to the new camera. The K10 was underexposing a bit and I am still somewhat shy with the K5IIs. I'm using the manual mode almost exclusively, and doing the "match needle" thing, as was suggested by a member here a few years ago. I've found that for most lighting situations if I make the settings right on the money the shots come out perfect.

Another thing I have noticed about the K5IIs is the shutter. It is so much quieter that the one in the K10.
03-03-2014, 05:44 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I'm using the manual mode almost exclusively, and doing the "match needle" thing, as was suggested by a member here a few years ago. I've found that for most lighting situations if I make the settings right on the money the shots come out perfect.

Ok, since I'm still learning, explain this.
03-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Another thing I have noticed about the K5IIs is the shutter. It is so much quieter that the one in the K10.
Yeah, the shutter sound in the K-5 series is just sweet. Gives a feeling of quiet confidence somehow.......
03-03-2014, 04:36 PM   #38

Original Poster
Ok, since I'm still learning, explain this.
Set the mode dial to M.

Then adjust the shutter speed and aperture while watching the scale in the viewfinder. The scale also appears on the rear and top LCD screens on the K5IIs.

03-04-2014, 06:16 AM   #39
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Spent the weekend in Blacksburg, South Carolina and bobtailed to the store for groceries. Took a shortcut through the back roads, and spied a mess of rusty relics wasting away in a filed. I just had to stop and grab a few.
Truly tasty shots
03-04-2014, 06:27 AM   #40

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dariusz Quote
Truly tasty shots
Why thank you!