Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jwn.poh Quote
So...I realise that it's almost sacrilegious to post this here...but I have come to the conclusion that this forum one of the most densely populated with knowledgeable pros and enthusiasts in the field of photography...hoping to get some good objective opinions.

So I have a K5-II that I am extremely pleased with. I got it thanks to a brilliant sales pitch by the sales person when I went looking for a second module for my GXR. (Bought the K5-II instead of a GXR module, naturally) Since my acquisition I have fallen so much in love with it that I have gone and acquired a few lenses to play with (sadly, my GXR has fallen a little out of favour). I am now a proud owner of a K5-II with an FA 50mm 1.4, DA 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 WR, Sigma 70-300mm, and Sigma 17-50mm 2.8, and I love all the options that this lineup offers me (maybe a higher IQ telephoto sometime in the future).

Here's the thing. The new Fuji X-T1 looks real good. And smaller and supposedly lighter. Reading reviews online, I can't really get a sense of the difference between the X-T1 and the K5-II in terms of capabilities. So, I would like to invite any comments or opinions on whether or not a switch in systems is going to be worth consideration at all.

I have a wide range of photographic interests: portrait, macro, birds, sports, landscape, architecture. I just like taking photos. I'm not a pro, just an enthusiast who has a very demanding job (in before sunrise and out after sunset most of the time) that gets in the way of my interest.
I went from owning a Fuji to owning a Ricoh GR. Then I drank the Ricoh Kool-Aid and got a K5-II.

The Fuji was lovely to look at, but the things that really ended up getting to me were:
  1. The EVF gets noisy in low light;
  2. The battery lasted about 300 shots - my K5-II readily gets 3 times that;
  3. The XE-1 was smaller and lighter, but not by enough to be all that noticeable - it promised more than it delivered.

I do miss all the lens adapters that're available though. I really miss using the 40mm Voigtlander I bought for the XE-1, and can't bring myself to sell it on the grounds that one day I might buy myself a Leica.

02-24-2014, 05:14 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Don't forget you can shoot 4:3 straight out the K-01
True dat. The thing of it is, if I go from 3:2 to 1:1, the field of view changes a lot. With a native 4:3 sensor they're closer to the same. For me it seems to work out a little better, as most of the time I'll shoot on the full sensor and then think of cropping later in Aperture.

However... I did notice with the K-01, when I put on the 21mm DA and switch it to 1:1, it becomes effectively a square normal/standard lens, which I think is pretty cool. It's just like the field of view through my old Ricoh Diacord G. And I'm still just a few button presses away from going wide-angle again. That lens is a great match for the K-01.
02-24-2014, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Just went through this. Chose the K-5ii over the X-E1 for following reasons:

1. Better autofocus
2. Better battery life
3. weather sealed
4. complaints about EVF freezing or "going dark" on the X-E1 after shots
5. complaints re: RAW processing for X-e1
6. after holding an x-e1 in the store for a while, I noticed the ack of grip would be an issue on any extended shoot.
7. Several people on flickr who had made the switch told me they regretted it.
8. Cost. Already have a slew of lenses for pentax and got the k-5ii for $639. Fuji would have been $800 and required investment in new lens system.
9. Yes, the Fuji is smaler, but not meaningfully so for travel/carrying. My k-5ii with a small prime is smaller overall.
10. Having to learn a new menu system.

At the end of the day, I realized that the only reason I really wanted the Fuji was because I liked its "retro cool" look. That wore off after sitting on the decision for 3 weeks and 3 trips to the camera store.

I still wish pentax would make a mirrorless put into a ME super body...i'd buy it in a heartbeat.
02-24-2014, 05:30 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I choose the K3 over K5IIs because of
1. Controllable anti-aliasing
2. Huge 24mp sensor
3. Dual SD card slots
4. Faster AF with tracking features
and many more ....

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
Just went through this. Chose the K-5ii over the X-E1 for following reasons:

1. Better autofocus
2. Better battery life
3. weather sealed
4. complaints about EVF freezing or "going dark" on the X-E1 after shots
5. complaints re: RAW processing for X-e1
6. after holding an x-e1 in the store for a while, I noticed the ack of grip would be an issue on any extended shoot.
7. Several people on flickr who had made the switch told me they regretted it.
8. Cost. Already have a slew of lenses for pentax and got the k-5ii for $639. Fuji would have been $800 and required investment in new lens system.
9. Yes, the Fuji is smaler, but not meaningfully so for travel/carrying. My k-5ii with a small prime is smaller overall.
10. Having to learn a new menu system.

At the end of the day, I realized that the only reason I really wanted the Fuji was because I liked its "retro cool" look. That wore off after sitting on the decision for 3 weeks and 3 trips to the camera store.

I still wish pentax would make a mirrorless put into a ME super body...i'd buy it in a heartbeat.

02-27-2014, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So...I realise that it's almost sacrilegious to post this here...but I have come to the conclusion that this forum one of the most densely populated with knowledgeable pros and enthusiasts in the field of photography...hoping to get some good objective opinions.

So I have a K5-II that I am extremely pleased with. I got it thanks to a brilliant sales pitch by the sales person when I went looking for a second module for my GXR. (Bought the K5-II instead of a GXR module, naturally) Since my acquisition I have fallen so much in love with it that I have gone and acquired a few lenses to play with (sadly, my GXR has fallen a little out of favour). I am now a proud owner of a K5-II with an FA 50mm 1.4, DA 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 WR, Sigma 70-300mm, and Sigma 17-50mm 2.8, and I love all the options that this lineup offers me (maybe a higher IQ telephoto sometime in the future).

Here's the thing. The new Fuji X-T1 looks real good. And smaller and supposedly lighter. Reading reviews online, I can't really get a sense of the difference between the X-T1 and the K5-II in terms of capabilities. So, I would like to invite any comments or opinions on whether or not a switch in systems is going to be worth consideration at all.

I have a wide range of photographic interests: portrait, macro, birds, sports, landscape, architecture. I just like taking photos. I'm not a pro, just an enthusiast who has a very demanding job (in before sunrise and out after sunset most of the time) that gets in the way of my interest.
You may have a very bad case of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). I recognize the symptoms, having had the disorder more than once. It's like shingles. You can't stop it, and it's very painful. You have my sympathies.
03-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #21
Veteran Member

For a CSC, my pick would be for an Olympus OM-D E-M1.
03-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Did you buy your lenses new or used?
The reason I ask is that if you bought new, you stand to lose a fair amount of money by switching to a new system.
Also, you have to be realistic. If you sold everything you had listed you might have enough for an xt-1, body only. Maaaaybe you can get the kit lens too, although I doubt it. So you would be trading a bunch of ok lenses and an excellent body, for an excellent body and a single good lens. Seems to me like you would be losing too much capability to make it worth the switch.

03-09-2014, 09:42 PM   #23
Veteran Member

anyway, our kid just arrived in December, and I think it's safe to say that it would be near impossible to bring all my options along for future trips, with baby/young kid in tow...which is why I am considering the smaller alternative.
Congrats on the young one! Be forewarned though that if you get the Fuji, in about 18 months, you'll be posting the following on a Fuji forum:

"Looking for faster AF to track my toddler"

Your K-5 II isn't the best at AF, but I'd hazard a guess that it'll still tracking moving subjects better. And if it doesn't, at that point a K-3 will be half the current price (new or used) and will be able to AF your little one. In other words, it's a sure upgrade path.

If size is an issue, use some of the money that you would have spent on the Fuji and get the DA21, DA40, and DA70.
03-10-2014, 05:46 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
You may have a very bad case of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). I recognize the symptoms, having had the disorder more than once. It's like shingles. You can't stop it, and it's very painful. You have my sympathies.
If it is uncurable, then it is called LBA (Lens Buying Addiction)
03-13-2014, 08:59 AM   #25

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the helpful comments!

In the end I have decided to stick with what I have...the value-for-money argument wins. Will slowly build my collection of lenses...

As for the travel conundrum, I think I am going to go back to my first love: GXR. Now that Ricoh has sadly really seemed to show no intention of developing that line, those lensor modules are really getting cheaper.
03-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #26
Site Supporter

I use Pentax and Fuji

I have the K5 IIs and the Fuji X-Pro1, X-E2 and the X-T1. I use both and enjoy both.

The Fujis have lot going for them... lenses continue to come forth and they are all quite stellar. The new 56mm f/1.2 is frankly amazing.. and the bang for the buck is probably the best thing going right now. IQ is extremely good. Camera is small and very well made. The X-T1 EVF is in a class by itself... and very easy to use, even for an old DSLR guy like myself.

I use the K5 IIs for concert work and anything involving action but for most anything else I use the Fuji. The X-T1 tracking is also quite good.. will try it on the next concert gig I get.

There is no perfect camera and that goes for Pentax and Fuji... and of course, all the rest.

If your head was turned by the Fuji... you are not alone... and you obviously know a good thing when you see it. There is nothing wrong with using two or more systems. Cameras are tools, not a religion.

You can see the work I have done with both the Pentax and Fuji on my website. Personally, I think they compliment each other quite well.
03-19-2014, 10:33 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I came into a good chunk of money recently and was trying to decide between the Fuji X-T1 and the Pentax K-3, then I saw that the K-5IIs was half the price, so I got that and I'm taking my girlfriend to Disneyland. No regrets.
03-20-2014, 06:06 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Disneyland?

QuoteOriginally posted by bsamcash Quote
I came into a good chunk of money recently and was trying to decide between the Fuji X-T1 and the Pentax K-3, then I saw that the K-5IIs was half the price, so I got that and I'm taking my girlfriend to Disneyland. No regrets.
I don't know.. you might regret the Disneyland thing.
03-20-2014, 07:54 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Radcliffe Quote
I don't know.. you might regret the Disneyland thing.
Haha. True. But as long as she's happy.

Also, another thing that made the K-5IIs the easier decision are the physical controls. For some reason the AF and metering switches were removed from the K-3, and I love those things.
05-21-2014, 05:11 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Radcliffe Quote
I have the K5 IIs and the Fuji X-Pro1, X-E2 and the X-T1. I use both and enjoy both.

The Fujis have lot going for them... lenses continue to come forth and they are all quite stellar. The new 56mm f/1.2 is frankly amazing.. and the bang for the buck is probably the best thing going right now. IQ is extremely good. Camera is small and very well made. The X-T1 EVF is in a class by itself... and very easy to use, even for an old DSLR guy like myself.

I use the K5 IIs for concert work and anything involving action but for most anything else I use the Fuji. The X-T1 tracking is also quite good.. will try it on the next concert gig I get.

There is no perfect camera and that goes for Pentax and Fuji... and of course, all the rest.

If your head was turned by the Fuji... you are not alone... and you obviously know a good thing when you see it. There is nothing wrong with using two or more systems. Cameras are tools, not a religion.

You can see the work I have done with both the Pentax and Fuji on my website. Personally, I think they compliment each other quite well.
I've been looking at the Fuji options also, particularly the XT-1.
To me the biggest potential draw is the focus accuracy, both AF and MF.
I currently use a K-5 original, and I know focus has been improved with each new body release. I use auto focus more than manual focus, but I do have some A series lenses and also some Super Taks. I have not attempted the micro adjustment on the camera as yet.
In my experience I've found the auto focus to not be greatly accurate and the manual focus to be difficult with the stock screen. I know that using the LCD screen on the K-5 will allow more accurate AF and also the zoom function to allow more accurate MF also...but I much prefer having my eye to the viewfinder. If I was going to use the LCD I would probably just switch to the K-01.

So, I guess my question, for anyone who wishes to answer, is do you find the accuracy of the Fuji CDAF to live up to expectation? I really enjoy the OVF and Pentaprism and I'm nervous about the responsiveness of the EVF. Do you feel the trade off of using an EVF worth it for the reported improved accuracy of focus?

I find the idea of focus peaking in the viewfinder for accurate manual focus a tempting idea also.

Would the focus accuracy improvement by upgrading to the K-5II, buying a EE-S focussing screen for manual focus and then fine tuning all lenses for auto focus be not close, as good or better than the accuracy improvement offered by the CDAF of the XT-1?

Wow, a bit of a ramble...thanks if you made it this far. Any feedback much appreciated. I may also start a new thread with this topic, to seek a broader range of responses.

Cheers
Dean