Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
Forum Member

Please enlighten me on this comparison

I've been shooting aps-c for a while but know almost nothing about FF.

In terms of IQ and noise only (disregard ease of use, build quality etc) how would a K-5II fare compared to a Canon 5D (classic/mark I)?

I want to get an idea (even if it's subjective) of what sort of difference I should expect.

Thanks!

02-24-2014, 02:06 PM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ravenorxs Quote
I've been shooting aps-c for a while but know almost nothing about FF.

In terms of IQ and noise only (disregard ease of use, build quality etc) how would a K-5II fare compared to a Canon 5D (classic/mark I)?

I want to get an idea (even if it's subjective) of what sort of difference I should expect.

Thanks!
Pentax K-3 versus Pentax K-5 II versus Canon EOS 5D - Side by side camera comparison - DxOMark

K5-II is broadly better from the looks of things - that's what 8 years of progress gets ya!
02-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Woolcott Quote
Pentax K-3 versus Pentax K-5 II versus Canon EOS 5D - Side by side camera comparison - DxOMark

K5-II is broadly better from the looks of things - that's what 8 years of progress gets ya!
Woolcott said it! Great link to an awesome eval!
02-24-2014, 02:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Why not compare to the current 5D ?

Pentax K-3 versus Pentax K-5 IIs versus Canon EOS 5D Mark III

Look at the dynamic range !

02-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The advantage of a larger sensor, barring any generational differences, is lower noise due to a larger image capturing area.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-24-2014, 02:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Image quality is a very subjective value, and zero sets of numbers (especially from a "closed" and questionable model as that from DxO) are going to give you either authoritative or compelling information that answers your query. The original 5D has a rather unique rendering that still garners a lot of fans. For an eight year old camera, its resale value is impressive.

M
02-24-2014, 03:56 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the response. I'm on my phone at work so I'll have to read further into the scoring system later tonight. From the looks of things it does seem the current gen aps-c beats the older ff.

Are these scores readjusted as time goes on? I would assume the mark I scored better than a 71 when it was first released.

I'm only asking because I see them going for quite a low price around my area and was wondering if they still held any advantages to today's mid-range aps-c's.
02-24-2014, 03:59 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the response. I'm on my phone at work so I'll have to read further into the scoring system later tonight. From the looks of things it does seem the current gen aps-c beats the older ff
Yes, but FFs have also advanced during the same period....

02-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I'm only asking because I see them going for quite a low price around my area and was wondering if they still held any advantages to today's mid-range aps-c's.
Well, it depends on what your shooting requirements are. For many of us image quality is one factor of a mosiac. For example, the AF of the old 5D is probably better than that of a K5II; you can also put a modern, still current 400mm AF lens on that Canon which you couldn't on a Pentax DSLR. And the flash subsystem and supporting tools are more sophisticated and accurate. OTOH, the Canon is really only good up to ISO 1600 at best. And many Canon lenses are larger and heavier. So it depends.

M

Edit: read user reviews on than non-brand-specific forum for practical perspectives.

Last edited by Miguel; 02-24-2014 at 04:16 PM.
02-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
Yes, but FFs have also advanced during the same period....
Undoubtedly. The reason I choice the Mark I instead of II or III was the price points. I was hoping to compare something similar in price across two different product classes. Obviously the disparity in performance would be greater if comparing a Mark III to a K-5II.

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Well, it depends on what your shooting requirements are. For many of us image quality is one factor of a mosiac. For example, the AF of the old 5D is probably better than that of a K5II; you can also put a modern, still current 400mm AF lens on that Canon which you couldn't on a Pentax DSLR. And the flash subsystem and supporting tools are more sophisticated and accurate. OTOH, the Canon is really only good up to ISO 1600 at best. And many Canon lenses are larger and heavier. So it depends.

M

Edit: read user reviews on than non-brand-specific forum for practical perspectives.
Thanks for the link. Most of the reviews show nothing but praise when taking into account it's current used prices ($400-$500). You're right in that there are a myriad of variables at play which is why I just wanted to compare IQ and noise. I don't think anything beats ease of use and how 'natural' it feels using a k-5ii.