Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2014, 04:07 AM   #1

Pentax has already made "5-Axis In-Body Image Stabilization" with K-5?

I saw a post of kakaku.com that said the SR of K-5 works as 5-Axis In-Body Image Stabilization.
You can see how SR works against 5-Axis vibration with the movies the url below, "SR無し" means the SR is off, "SR有り" means the SR is on.
http://bbs.kakaku.com/bbs/-/SortID=17226232/#17226852

I tested with my K-5 as the kakaku guy do, and confirm the SR actually works as 5-Axis In-Body Image Stabilization!
Can someone try it with your K-5 or K-3, and report the result to thistherad please?

By the way, if the SR of K-5 works as 5-Axis In-Body Image Stabilization is truth, what Olympus said "The World's First* 5-Axis In-Body Image Stabilization" will be?
OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5: Feature 5-AXIS IMAGE STABILIZATION | Olympus Imaging Asia

02-27-2014, 06:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

This is a great video about the SR module and how it works but in no way is similar to Olympus. Check it out.

Along with ofcourse the O-GPS module which they failed to explain how it works,

02-27-2014, 06:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I guess the relevant section of the kakaku discussion is:

"Introducing the videos I tested the k-5. Secure the tripod base to some extent deliberately hand made run-out. Order the test

(1) along the optical axis rotation runout (roll)
(2) deflection horizontal rotation (yaw)
(3) vertical rotation runout (pitch)
(4) (5) shift of the vertical deflection and deflection horizontal shift is. "
(Bing translated)

So yes, I guess 5 axis stabilisation is a fair enough claim for what Pentax is doing.
02-27-2014, 06:43 AM   #4
K-Y

Original Poster
Thank you for your translation, rawr.

And here are the test movies taken by K-5 which are posted to the kakaku.com.

02-27-2014, 06:53 AM   #5
K-Y

Original Poster
Sorry, attached movie file is here.
Attached Files
File Type: avi SR_OFF.avi (1.89 MB, 80 views)
File Type: avi SR_ON.avi (2.36 MB, 87 views)
02-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow. Tough crowd
02-27-2014, 10:51 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't see any evidence in the test done that Pentax SR support 5 axis stabilization. But the extra 2 axis Olympus support (horizontal and vertical shift) does not offer any major advantages in most shooting conditions. So Olympus has more of a marketing advantage, than a major advantage when shooting pictures.

Horizontal and vertical shift only becomes a issue when shooting with high magnification (macro), as a 1/10 mm shift of the camera translate to a 1/10 mm shift of the scene, no matter what the size on scene captured is. So in most shooting conditions yaw, roll and pitch will make 95+% of the image blur, and horizontal and vertical shift will make a few percentage of the image blur. And if FI shooting landscapes, vertical and horizontal shift will be less than 1 pixel shift in the final image.

Edit:
The problem with using a tripod for this type of test, is that it's not possible to completely eliminate pitch and jaw movements when trying to test horizontal and vertical shift. So the camera then start to correct for pitch and jaw movements, which is easy to detect as proof for it being able to correct for horizontal and vertical shift.
A much more rigid test equipment is needed for this type of test. An equipment that can completely isolate one axis movement from all other.

Another problem is that when doing excessive movement that differ from normal use of the camera, the test might show something different than normal use of the camera would.
So in this type of test you need to use camera shake patterns that close to what is happening with normal use, because this is what the image stabilization is optimized for.

Last edited by Fogel70; 02-28-2014 at 12:35 AM.