Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2014, 02:13 AM   #1

Help with SD Card for K5 IIs

I have ordered a K5 IIs and I need to buy a SD card for this camera. I have not received the camera so I have no detail information as to what I need in a SD card. I think I read that this unit will only handle a 32gb card, but am not sure?

Should I buy the Sandisk 32gb Extreme or go for the more expensive Extreme pro?

Thank you.

02-28-2014, 03:35 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any size card will work. Extreme cards are good enough because the k5 can't take advantage of the extra speed of the extreme pro.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-28-2014, 04:29 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, welcome!
There are three things to consider when buying an SD card.
-speed (class 4, class 10, extreme, extreme pro, UHS..) Speed is important because slow speed means you need to wait longer between photos. It can also cause problems with videos. And loading photos to your computer takes longer. So you want a card that is as fast as the camera. But its pointless to buy a card that is much faster than the camera.
-size (8GB, 16GB, etc.): I would suggest you buy two smaller cards rather than one big card. 32GB is a lot of space, you probably won't need it unless you are going to take lots of video or travel for a long time without being able to save photos to a computer. The reason why its better to have smaller cards is because if you lose one or it gets damaged, you don't lose as much. Also, smaller cards aren't as expensive. I think 8 to 16GB should be more than enough for still photography, even if you take raw photos (jpegs are even smaller). 16GB and above is mostly for large videos
-brand. Brands of the card are pretty important. Sandisk is probably the best choice, they have a good reputation and make high quality cards. We haven't had many reports about problems with Sandisk. I would advise you avoid Sony.

There are also different types of SD cards - SD HC, SD XC,... this shouldn't matter as long as your camera has the latest firmware update. If you don't know what that is, there is a tutorial on this forum as well as a video and numerous threads about it, just search for it
02-28-2014, 06:55 AM   #4
Emperor and Senpai

While I do have a 64 gb SanDisk Extreme I prefer uisng my 2 16gb SanDisk Extreme Pro cards with a spare 32gb one thrown in the bag too. That way if I lose one I don't lose everything.

02-28-2014, 11:26 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your replies to my question. Problem solved. Good advice on buying more than 1 card. I found a great sale at Best buy and ordered 3 - 16 gb cards. I will do firmware update before I use this unit. DSLR is all new to me. Lucky I know a little about computers I guess.

Sincerely
737george