Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter

K-5ii issue...is it serious?

I swear this is a true story.
I was fortunate enough to purchase a K-3 about a month ago. Very good deal. I was actually taking photos of my K-5ii in order to sell it. (Wonderful camera, but I do prefer the '3'.) As I powered up the camera up one last time, a quick but very noticeable vibration occurs. Never, ever did that happen before. The camera has less than 7500 shutter actuations; I've had it for just over a year.
The camera still works fine, but I need to reevaluate how much to sell this camera for (if at all) if this camera has a serious defect. Any ideas or suggestions about where to look for more info?
Thanks very much.

03-01-2014, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

It's the dust removal. It uses the sensor shift shake reduction to wiggle its bits all around & make the dust fall off the sensor. Yay!
03-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
It's the dust removal. It uses the sensor shift shake reduction to wiggle its bits all around & make the dust fall off the sensor. Yay!
Maybe, but jeez, it's never been this loud...you gave me a thought. I 'reset' all settings. I've got to see if I turned something on/off then.
Thank you!
03-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Yup. I think it's on by default. You may have had it off. Resetting the camera turned it back on.

03-01-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I turned it the dust removal 'off' in the settings...still sounds the same. I did run a 'dust removal' cycle manually. Quiet as a mouse.
03-01-2014, 02:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yo!

I am a K-5 II owner stop putting things in my head.

Its something similar to a doctor advising a test - Chances are I will find a problem. :P

If it is vibrating very well, attach the egg beater to make a great pudding and enjoy your K-3.

Cheers!
03-01-2014, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deedee Quote
Yo!

I am a K-5 II owner stop putting things in my head.

Its something similar to a doctor advising a test - Chances are I will find a problem. :P

If it is vibrating very well, attach the egg beater to make a great pudding and enjoy your K-3.

Cheers!
I LOVE that!!! If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it. My problem is that I was going to sell the k-5ii to partially fund the k-3 that I already purchased. (Yes, that is backwards.) I kept both for an event I was doing, than the plan was to sell the '5'. Heck, I'd love to keep the k-5ii as a backup and call it a day! But that's really wasn't the plan...I had plans for that money...like bills... ;-)
03-01-2014, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveTheOldMan Quote
Maybe, but jeez, it's never been this loud...you gave me a thought. I 'reset' all settings. I've got to see if I turned something on/off then.
Thank you!
Was it sitting on a table when you turned it on to take a photo of it? That very well might make it audible when it wouldn't be if held in your hand.

03-01-2014, 03:33 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Was it sitting on a table when you turned it on to take a photo of it? That very well might make it audible when it wouldn't be if held in your hand.
It was actually in my hands. It's just weird...dansamy's response makes so much sense. After the startup, it works fine...focusing is smooth, no problems...Maybe I should take it out for a day; it hadn't been used in almost a month. But I turned 'dust removal' back off and the vibration remained.
Thanks!
03-01-2014, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

It's just weird...dansamy's response makes so much sense.
Sorry, but dansamy's response makes no sense at all.

The K-5 (II) does not use the shake reduction mechanics to clean the sensor. It uses an additional ultra-sonic system. The latter is almost inaudible and does not vibrate at all (in a way that you can feel it).

Did you have a lens attached?

The only reason for a healthy vibration I can think of is that you somehow managed to put in a very high focal length (e.g., 600mm) into the focal length dialogue that pops up in the beginning when no modern lens can be detected. If the camera tries to stabilise such a long lens, it can visibly and audibly start to vibrate.
03-01-2014, 08:03 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

The k-5ii is still new to me. My K-x wiggles about like an excited puppy! My apologies for the wild goose chase.
03-02-2014, 05:20 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Sorry, but dansamy's response makes no sense at all.

The K-5 (II) does not use the shake reduction mechanics to clean the sensor. It uses an additional ultra-sonic system. The latter is almost inaudible and does not vibrate at all (in a way that you can feel it).

Did you have a lens attached?

The only reason for a healthy vibration I can think of is that you somehow managed to put in a very high focal length (e.g., 600mm) into the focal length dialogue that pops up in the beginning when no modern lens can be detected. If the camera tries to stabilise such a long lens, it can visibly and audibly start to vibrate.
Thanks for the help. Actually, no, I didn't have a lens attached...the dialogue was set to 85mm. Even after I attached a 60-250, no change.
Just for fun, I played with the dialogue you spoke about above, setting the lens first at the lowest value (8mm), then the highest (800mm, I think.) No change. It seems like the vibration happens before the dialogue is displayed, for what that's worth.

---------- Post added 03-02-2014 at 05:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
The k-5ii is still new to me. My K-x wiggles about like an excited puppy! My apologies for the wild goose chase.
Any thoughts on the subject are *greatly* appreciated...they're more than I have right now. Since the issue seemed to happen AFTER I reset the settings, something I changed seemed to be a logical suspect. The problem is, I believe I only changed 2 Custom settings (21. "Flash in wireless mode" and 27. "Using Aperture Ring".) Even if I missed something, I can't see any other setting that seems to be a logical suspect.
03-02-2014, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

It seems like the vibration happens before the dialogue is displayed, for what that's worth.
Of course there is the calibration phase for the aperture lever mechanism. It causes a short buzz and perhaps a tiny bit of vibration.

However, as you said the vibration you are observing is different to what you experienced before, it seems that it is not the aperture lever mechanism being calibrated that causes it.

Currently, I have no other ideas what the cause may be.
03-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Of course there is the calibration phase for the aperture lever mechanism. It causes a short buzz and perhaps a tiny bit of vibration.

However, as you said the vibration you are observing is different to what you experienced before, it seems that it is not the aperture lever mechanism being calibrated that causes it.

Currently, I have no other ideas what the cause may be.
That's exactly what it is...only louder and more pronounced than before. Unless the k-3 is that much quieter than the k-5ii, which I don't believe to be the case.