Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2014, 03:41 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
camera won't turn on without card

I am sure that my K-5 will turn on without an SD card in it--and even tell me on the back monitor that the camera has no card.

Today, my K-5iis wouldn't turn on. I panicked. Pulled off the grip, pulled out the battery, put it back in, but that didn't help. Replaced the battery with one charged on the charger. Still no luck. Got concerned that I would have to send it in to Pentax (and silently worried that I had purchased a bum camera from the Marketplace).

Then I remembered that I still had the card out, from an earlier session on the computer. I replaced the card in the K-5iis. Turns on.

Did I forget something in the manual? This camera won't turn on without an SD card? That's a nice bell/whistle, if so. But really?

03-01-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

My K10D turns on without card, but the top LCD doesn't look normal
03-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter

This has caught me before with my K-5 and had me in a panic for a short while.

If you power on with the SD card door open (with or with out card in) it will not power up properly.

I does power up with door closed and no card in though - its not that clear that the cards missing.
03-01-2014, 04:23 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
I am sure that my K-5 will turn on without an SD card in it--and even tell me on the back monitor that the camera has no card.

Today, my K-5iis wouldn't turn on. I panicked. Pulled off the grip, pulled out the battery, put it back in, but that didn't help. Replaced the battery with one charged on the charger. Still no luck. Got concerned that I would have to send it in to Pentax (and silently worried that I had purchased a bum camera from the Marketplace).

Then I remembered that I still had the card out, from an earlier session on the computer. I replaced the card in the K-5iis. Turns on.

Did I forget something in the manual? This camera won't turn on without an SD card? That's a nice bell/whistle, if so. But really?
It should turn on without a card, but only if the card door is properly closed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-01-2014, 04:44 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Checked, and the K10 won't power up with the door open either.
03-01-2014, 08:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It should turn on without a card, but only if the card door is properly closed.
That was my immediate thought also, this scared me once with the K200D a while back