Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2014, 07:29 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Just joined the 'recently acquired K5II/s' club!

Well, after doing much research until my eyes bled and my head spun, I decided to get a K5II but there were none available so I had to go for a K5IIs (more expensive), and managed to pick one up together with a DA 18-135 lens for a reasonable price (not a great price though, but Aussie stock was getting very hard to find so it forced my hand somewhat), giving me a weather resistant kit.

Now I have a steep learning curve ahead as it is a huge upgrade over my K-r and I am sure I will pester you folk on here with plenty of noob questions!

03-03-2014, 07:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome, join the club
I also recently got the K-5IIs, since the arrival of the K3 made the K-5IIs affordable in Japan.

So far, loving it, although I did not have much time for extensive shooting.
03-03-2014, 07:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dieseler Quote
Well, after doing much research until my eyes bled and my head spun, I decided to get a K5II but there were none available so I had to go for a K5IIs (more expensive), and managed to pick one up together with a DA 18-135 lens for a reasonable price (not a great price though, but Aussie stock was getting very hard to find so it forced my hand somewhat), giving me a weather resistant kit.

Now I have a steep learning curve ahead as it is a huge upgrade over my K-r and I am sure I will pester you folk on here with plenty of noob questions!
I'm still spinning and bleeding...congrats

JJ
03-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know what you mean. I'm upgrading from a K200D, so I'm having to learn what all those extra dials and knobs are for. Couldn't they cram a few more on there?

03-03-2014, 11:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Weather resistant kIt?

All you get in WA is sunshine isn't it?

Welcome....... I got a K5ii last year..... great camera. Just don't go reading posts on this forum about lenses! (I've spent almost $5k since getting the camera)
03-04-2014, 12:37 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you everyone!

QuoteOriginally posted by nparsons13 Quote
I know what you mean. I'm upgrading from a K200D, so I'm having to learn what all those extra dials and knobs are for. Couldn't they cram a few more on there?
One extra knob I would like is to be able to switch between single-shot and continuous-hi drive modes, a bit like the AF-S/AF-C one.

---------- Post added 4th Mar 2014 at 03:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Weather resistant kIt?

All you get in WA is sunshine isn't it?
At the moment, yeah. Round about 42C and sunny here for the next week at least. (That is about 107F for our American friends).

Mainly I want the dust resistance, it doesn't rain much here.
03-04-2014, 05:00 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Thank you everyone!

<snip>That is about 107F for our American friends).

Mainly I want the dust resistance, it doesn't rain much here.
Now I'm jealous.
I just recently bought one of the last K5ll that Amazon had available.
But it's 10`F here in New York and it snowed again yesterday morning! I'm sick of winter!
03-05-2014, 09:01 AM   #8

Original Poster
A quick capture with the new camera & DA 55-300 - juvenile Brown Falcon.

1/160, f7.1 ISO400 @ 300mm uncropped.

Attached Images

03-05-2014, 09:20 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the club (though I'm a half-gen behind you)
With all the drive modes, the 4-way button works well for the purpose, I think. I just need to remember to take it out of delayed shooting when I'm done, instead of discovering the delay when trying to get shots of birds!
03-05-2014, 09:39 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I just need to remember to take it out of delayed shooting when I'm done, instead of discovering the delay when trying to get shots of birds!
Yes, I am now trying the user modes but not really any better off than using the 4-way controller just for changing drive modes. The user modes are handy when you need to change a heap of settings at once but it is pretty clunky having to dive into the menu to change user mode - it would have been better to have them all on the mode dial. JMO!
03-05-2014, 12:08 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I am now trying the user modes but not really any better off than using the 4-way controller just for changing drive modes. The user modes are handy when you need to change a heap of settings at once but it is pretty clunky having to dive into the menu to change user mode - it would have been better to have them all on the mode dial. JMO!
That's something they really got right with the K3. I do have a user mode for fast shooting, with pretty much everything turned off, it rapid-fires exposures! I should set one for tripod use, just so I don't have to remember to reset everything.
03-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Huge upgrade indeed, but my guess is you will love it

Enjoy!
03-06-2014, 12:58 PM   #13

Switched from Fujifilm X-T1 to K-5 IIs yesterday. The ergonomics of the X-T1 didn't quite live up to my expectations.
03-07-2014, 03:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

My K-5 IIs came late today. First impressions -- it is very much like the K-30, same basic feel, easy upgrade learning curve. A bit heavier, metal not plastic. Reassuring when you put on a heavy lens. The top LCD panel is a treasure. Live View button is in a different place, but I'll get used to that and the other control-placement differences... no big deal. After shopping in Solana Beach, went to the footbridge over the train tracks, took a picture of the 5:30 train through the tight chain link fence... used manual focus so the camera wouldn't get confused by the fence links. Other than that, tested whether the autofocus was working OK, so far so good. Takes very sharrp test pix in sunlight. Takeaway -- the K-5 IIs is a photographer's camera. Even has an X mode and a PC plug -- so I can use one of those old giant flashbulbs. Neo-WeeGee! Anyway, so far, so good. Like the GR, this one feels 'right'.

Train below... with a copy in B/W.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
03-07-2014, 04:45 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
My K-5 IIs came late today. First impressions -- it is very much like the K-30, same basic feel, easy upgrade learning curve. A bit heavier, metal not plastic. Reassuring when you put on a heavy lens. The top LCD panel is a treasure. Live View button is in a different place, but I'll get used to that and the other control-placement differences... no big deal. After shopping in Solana Beach, went to the footbridge over the train tracks, took a picture of the 5:30 train through the tight chain link fence... used manual focus so the camera wouldn't get confused by the fence links. Other than that, tested whether the autofocus was working OK, so far so good. Takes very sharrp test pix in sunlight. Takeaway -- the K-5 IIs is a photographer's camera. Even has an X mode and a PC plug -- so I can use one of those old giant flashbulbs. Neo-WeeGee! Anyway, so far, so good. Like the GR, this one feels 'right'.

Train below... with a copy in B/W.
Glad to see another new owner! At least you already have a good lens for it!