Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2014, 12:20 AM   #31

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to point out that there are some inconsistencies regarding the "readme.txt" file and the video "how to update" video on pentaxforums. The "readme.txt" file clearly states:

Updatable models
K-5 digital SLR cameras running Firmware Ver. 1.00/1.02/1.03/1.10/1.11/1.12/1.13/1.14/1.15

I had version 1.01. It updated fine to 1.16, just like it said in the video, but could there be potential problems? Why is Pentax not updating their "readme.txt" file?

03-14-2014, 03:17 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Maybe they just forgot to list it?
03-15-2014, 12:23 AM   #33

updates

I have done all the updates from the time I bought the camera.( Oct 2010) Have had no problems at all and i think the camera has functioned a little bit better every time. I notice that the AF on the 16-50 has improved. But it can still become better.
04-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #34

Photos: Albums
My seems to have updated O.K.

04-05-2014, 09:06 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I would connect the HDMI cable before turning on the camera.
04-07-2014, 01:01 PM   #36

Somehow I tried to update my camera by using the cable onto the computer and the SD card. Used the cable on my mac and windows. But on both ways it's impossible to update it. Anyone any ideas? Somehow my mac doesn't want to format all of my SD cards, even my new ones of 2 months old&not used. All are in writable position. My K5 has version 1.15. Which I all keep seeing.
04-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #37
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Khashoggi Quote
Somehow I tried to update my camera by using the cable onto the computer and the SD card. Used the cable on my mac and windows. But on both ways it's impossible to update it. Anyone any ideas? Somehow my mac doesn't want to format all of my SD cards, even my new ones of 2 months old&not used. All are in writable position. My K5 has version 1.15. Which I all keep seeing.
If you have a card slot in your PC, you can load the bin file to that. Obviously, if not, you can use the cable to connect your camera to the computer with the purpose of transferring the bin file to the root folder on the SD card.

I cannot make out from your note "But on both ways it's impossible to update it" if you mean you cannot get the bin file onto the SD card? Can you please clarify. What do you mean "both ways"? There is only one way to do the update, so far as I am aware, and that is to follow the clear instructions copied below. Any other method could result in a very nice ornament with the name PENTAX on it!

The update instructions are on this site: Latest K-5 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

This is the content of the README file:
===========================================================================
PENTAX K-5 Firmware Updating to Version 1.16
===========================================================================

* Firmware is the software that runs inside digital cameras.

Updatable models
K-5 digital SLR cameras running Firmware Ver. 1.00/1.02/1.03/1.10/1.11
/1.12/1.13/1.14/1.15

How to check version
Turn the power on while pressing the MENU button.
The Firmware version is displayed for about 5 seconds at the center
of the LCD monitor.
Perform the above operation without inserting the SD/SDHC card
containing Firmware in the camera.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * [Caution] * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Be sure to use fully charged battery (D-LI90 or 90P)
If the camera turns off during updating due to lack of battery power, the
camera will become inoperable. If this happens, a charge will be made for
repairs even if within the warranty period.

Updating Procedure

1. Provide a formated SD/SDHC memory card for the update software (with at
least 32MB of available memory space).
The downloaded file is self-extracting.
The following files are extracted.

readme.txt : this document
fwdc209b.bin : Firmware

Copy the above Firmware file [fwdc209b.bin] to the root directory in
the SD/SDHC card.
If your computer does not have a card slot, you can copy the firmware
update file by inserting the SD/SDHC card into your camera and then
connecting the camera directly to your computer.

2. Insert the D-LI90 battery into the camera and confirm the battery is full
by battery level indicator then turn the camera off.

3. Insert the update SD/SDHC card (prepared in step 1) into the camera
and close card cover.

4. Turn the camera power on while pressing the MENU button.

5. "NOW LOADING" appears in the LCD monitor, and will change to the
"PROGRAM UPDATE". At the bottom of the LCD monitor,

CURRENT VERSION 1.00/1.02/1.03/1.10/1.11/1.12/1.13/1.14/1.15.
UPDATE VERSION 1.16

will be displayed.

6. Press the four-way controller to select "YES" and press the "OK" button.

7. "UPDATING" appears on the LCD monitor and updating starts.
Please do not under any circumstances switch off the power before the
update is completed.
It will take approximately 90 seconds to complete update.

8. When update is completed, the "COMPLETE" will be displayed at the left
bottom of the LCD monitor, then turn the camera off.

9. Remove the update SD/SDHC card from the camera.

10. To check the Firmware version in your camera, turn the camera on while
pressing the MENU button.
Check that the version displayed in the LCD monitor is "Ver.1.16"
The camera automatically starts up after about 5 seconds.

(Caution)
When updating is finished, the update SD/SDHC card still contains the
Firmware file.
If you want to use this card to take pictures, delete the Firmware file
first.

Hope that helps!
04-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #38

MarkJerling: Can get the file on the sd card through windows. My mac can only read the SDcards(nothing else possible, even unused cards can only be read). Even through windows, putting the file on the formatted SD card, the K5 won't update using the menu button when putting the camera on. It keeps saying version 1.15.

04-08-2014, 03:56 AM   #39
Site Supporter

Original Poster
MarkJerling: Can get the file on the sd card through windows. My mac can only read the SDcards(nothing else possible, even unused cards can only be read). Even through windows, putting the file on the formatted SD card, the K5 won't update using the menu button when putting the camera on. It keeps saying version 1.15.
OK. So, is the file on the SD card in a folder on the SD Card, or is it in the root folder?
04-08-2014, 08:07 AM   #40

Markjerling: Always format my SD card on my mac or windows laptop before I put the file onto the SD and start updating my camera. So the only folder possible: Directly onto the SD card. Don't know why I can't format or delete anything on my SD cards on my mac anymore(as windows gave trouble in the past putting the update file on it). But the file I downloaded on windows gave the error, sended the file from my mac to my windows laptop, put it from my windows laptop on my formatted(through windows) sd card and it worked. Thanks for thinking a long with me.
04-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can try to put the USB Connection on MSC in the menu before connecting the camera to the computer.
04-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #42
Site Supporter

i understand it is best to format the card in camera, works for me, i use LinuxMint and transfer the file to the sd card via internal card reader for firmware update by camera
04-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #43
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
i understand it is best to format the card in camera, works for me, i use LinuxMint and transfer the file to the sd card via internal card reader for firmware update by camera
Yes, absolutely agree - camera formatted card has always worked best for me.

---------- Post added 04-09-14 at 10:21 AM ----------

Markjerling: Always format my SD card on my mac or windows laptop before I put the file onto the SD and start updating my camera. So the only folder possible: Directly onto the SD card. Don't know why I can't format or delete anything on my SD cards on my mac anymore(as windows gave trouble in the past putting the update file on it). But the file I downloaded on windows gave the error, sended the file from my mac to my windows laptop, put it from my windows laptop on my formatted(through windows) sd card and it worked. Thanks for thinking a long with me.
I'm happy to hear you got it sorted in the end! (Although I don;t think I was much help! )
04-08-2014, 03:34 PM   #44
Site Supporter

If your mac doesn't write to a sd card but will read it, sounds like a permissions problem, suggest talk to a mac shop about this.
I'm not sure how you were doing this, but, if you have a mac box talking to a windows box, when transferring a file from mac to windows the mac needs to be able to write to the windows ntfs file system, they don't out of the box (they could so easily include this for better inter-operability) so the mac file NTFS-3G is needed https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24481/ntfs-3g looks like it is not maintained anymore and 10.6 is not compatible, this i see as flaws and the limiting way of the mac.

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Yes, absolutely agree - camera formatted card has always worked best for me.
yep agree, best way.

another thought, was the sd card locked?

Last edited by beachgardener; 04-08-2014 at 05:40 PM. Reason: and info.
04-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
If your mac doesn't write to a sd card but will read it, sounds like a permissions problem, suggest talk to a mac shop about this.
I'm not sure how you were doing this, but, if you have a mac box talking to a windows box, when transferring a file from mac to windows the mac needs to be able to write to the windows ntfs file system, they don't out of the box (they could so easily include this for better inter-operability) so the mac file NTFS-3G is needed https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24481/ntfs-3g looks like it is not maintained anymore and 10.6 is not compatible, this i see as flaws and the limiting way of the mac.

yep agree, best way.

another thought, was the sd card locked?

Always do format the SD card. Just to be sure, if things go wrong, I don't loose my photo's. My sd cards are never locked. There have been problems on previous mac versions with old sd cards, but since I got mavericks, I can only read all SD cards, nothing more. It's just that I mailed the file to an e-mail, downloaded it in windows and did put it on the SD card.