Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-09-2014, 01:47 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Format my SD cards in camera, K-5, (not in computer) and what file system does the camera format the cards to? Mine says Partition Type W95 FAT32 (Bootable) Contents FAT (32-bit version) Mounted at /media/my name

Mac should be able to read and write to Fat32, do thumb drives formatted Fat32 exhibit the same problem read only on your Mavericks?

Last edited by beachgardener; 04-09-2014 at 01:47 AM. Reason: add info.
04-22-2014, 11:35 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a Windows 8.1 laptop. Used a fast 45 MBPS Card (San Disk Pro). This is the KEY to some of you complaining about long updating cycle times. Both the steps took just under 2 minutes. Made sure had the original Pentax battery fully charged. Formatted the card in camera, then inserted it into the laptop card slot to copy the Bin file to the card.
Note: the instructions could have been better, Example: the LCD showed "Updating" on the top LHS of the screen and "Completed" on the bottom LHS, with the updating graphics bar in the middle. The instructions says "Completed" will be displayed ... and then turn off the camera. But because of the"Updating" message as well, I was left scratching my head and turned off the camera after a full 2 minutes, just in case.
Verion 1.16 was displayed when I checked.
Thanks God, the update went well - but it was a frightening process - due to the cautionary warnings, and a dead camera.
Regards.
04-22-2014, 11:52 AM   #48
Pentaxian

For those of us who bought the HD DA 1.4 TC, most of us have already downloaded this update at the same time we updated all our cameras for the TC. It was already installed on both my K-5s.
04-22-2014, 05:35 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
I use a Windows 8.1 laptop. Used a fast 45 MBPS Card (San Disk Pro). This is the KEY to some of you complaining about long updating cycle times. Both the steps took just under 2 minutes. Made sure had the original Pentax battery fully charged. Formatted the card in camera, then inserted it into the laptop card slot to copy the Bin file to the card.
Note: the instructions could have been better, Example: the LCD showed "Updating" on the top LHS of the screen and "Completed" on the bottom LHS, with the updating graphics bar in the middle. The instructions says "Completed" will be displayed ... and then turn off the camera. But because of the"Updating" message as well, I was left scratching my head and turned off the camera after a full 2 minutes, just in case.
Verion 1.16 was displayed when I checked.
Thanks God, the update went well - but it was a frightening process - due to the cautionary warnings, and a dead camera.
Regards.
With respect, but I don't think the speed of the card makes much of a difference. I usually use a very old 128mb!!! card for updates, and that works no slower than my latest SDHC card.
Glad you got it sorted though!

07-01-2014, 07:55 AM   #50

It's clearly Ricoh's fault if the update breaks the camera

QuoteOriginally posted by TomGarn Quote
Firmware Update went wrong - K-5 is dead !!!
Called the service - they said the board is dead. A new one will cost 380,- €
I find that unacceptable terms by Ricoh.

I am a software developer and have written firmware (flash memory) updaters for a device that is (was) used by thousands (EyeTV 200).

There are several ways an update can go wrong:

* Damaged firmware file.
* Read errors during reading from the installation disk (here: the SD card).
* Bad flash memory.
* Power loss during update.

However, it's not difficult to safeguard against all these failures. I've done that, and we had zero returns because of that.

The worst that can happen (in case of bad flash mem) is that the board cannot be updated to a new firmware any more, but at least it can continue to run with the old firmware then.

For this to work, the flash mem must have at least the capacity to hold two firmware versions, and the updater must take the failures into account. Also, there must be one flash bank that selects which firmware will be started at power-on. Even better, a pre-loader should be invoked first that checks for a valid firmware and falls back into a recovery mode otherwise. With all that, even a power loss in the middle of the installation can't break the device.

If a board gets broken nonetheless, I would argue that this is not the user's fault but the fault of the manufacturer, for using inferior techniques that are prone to fail. And since these flaws are unquestionably in there from the beginning, this wouldn't be a classic case of "out of warranty" but a case of negligence that doesn't time out. Just like a car maker couldn't refuse to recall and service cars with badly designed brakes or ignition key slots just because they're out of warranty.

Also, I just updated my K-5 form 1.13 to 1.16 and when I used a battery that was down to 2 out of 3 bars, it even refused to perform the update, saying "low battery". Hence, that's another Ricoh shouldn't have any angle to argue that this is the user's fault, ergo it's theirs.
07-01-2014, 08:39 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Hi Tempelorg,
With service I meant my local repair-service.

About Pentax I had given up all hopes right at the beginning.
Was that wrong ? Corpse is still here - in case of spare parts needed ...
07-01-2014, 08:48 AM   #52

Tom, why didn't you contact Ricoh about this? I see you're in Germany like me. I've contacted Pentax right before it became Ricoh in Germany, showing them test images of my off-center 18-135, and they agreed and sent me a new lens right away. I found them pretty reasonable. If you want to discuss this further in German, send me a PM.

07-01-2014, 09:16 AM   #53
Veteran Member

I read everywhere that firmware-updates are 100% to my own risk
07-01-2014, 11:23 AM   #54

Well, if a firmware or software update fixes features that the product is supposed to have, then these are legally nothing different from a recall of your car if its brakes are not working correctly. In that way, if the manufacturer claims that you do it at your own risk, he'd also have to let you send the camera in for free so that they install it for you, or that you have the option to return it for lack of promised operation. Since Ricoh is surely not willing or even able to handle that, they need to let you have your options.

Offering a firmware update that fixes bugs and then saying that you do that at your own risk isn't right. Either it's a fix for the product or it isn't. If you cannot install it yourself without risk, they have to do it.

Consider a similar case where PCs were sold with the memory or even the entire case sealed, saying "warranty void if seal is broken". Turns out that this was unlawful.

Anyway. I'd thought that as a German you'd know your right better
07-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #55
Veteran Member

I would love that to be true.
But I really hear this for the first time now, my friend.

I think - if at all - this might be true only with a camera in it's warranty time.

But if Pentax does read this and may lovingly tell me I am wrong they can produce
good advertisement and surprise us all ... make me happy .. and win some respect
of Pentaxlovers who will spread the news inside this group for the fair quality of this
great company ... ;-)

Gosh, I am so realistic ... to sad ...

Last edited by TomGarn; 07-01-2014 at 03:03 PM.
07-31-2014, 12:31 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Latest firmware update now available from Latest K-5 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
I've done the update and K-5 is functioning correctly after.
Do remember to read the "readme" file and ensure you have a fully charged battery and a formatted SD card for doing the upgrade.
Any thoughts why a firmware update won't take? I am trying to update a K-5 from firmware version 1.13 to version 1.16 and I've tried though the camera, connected to the computer, through a card reader, etc. No matter what, every time I turn on the camera while holding down the menu button it reveals version 1.13, the older firmware. It won't take the next step, which is allowing me to do an update. I updated it a while back from version 1.0 to version 1.13 with no problems. It won't be the end of the world if I can't do it but it certainly is frustrating.
07-31-2014, 01:32 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by silcam Quote
Any thoughts why a firmware update won't take? I am trying to update a K-5 from firmware version 1.13 to version 1.16 and I've tried though the camera, connected to the computer, through a card reader, etc. No matter what, every time I turn on the camera while holding down the menu button it reveals version 1.13, the older firmware. It won't take the next step, which is allowing me to do an update. I updated it a while back from version 1.0 to version 1.13 with no problems. It won't be the end of the world if I can't do it but it certainly is frustrating.
Strange. I suggest you charge the battery overnight, i.e. leave the battery out of the camera and then try it. Obviously, having done an update before, you know the method? Try downloading the update files again. Possibly there's some problem with the update file.
Have you tried it with a different SD Card?
07-31-2014, 02:36 PM   #58

I would try another sd card and make sure you have the correct file in the root directory of the card
07-31-2014, 07:32 PM   #59
Veteran Member

"Root Directory" is one heck of a very confusing term. For Dummies like me it just means:
a) format a fast - Class 10 - SD Card in your Camera.
b) Load the card into your Laptop. Delete the Folder DCIM and any other Folder in the card. The space where you found the DCIM folder is the "ROOT DIRECTORY". Simple. Please don't get confused.
b) Download Firmware version 1.16 from the Ricoh Japan Website ONLY. Extract the file called fwdc209b.bin - the Firmware - to your Laptop.
Note: Since I use VLC as my Video Player, the fwdc209b.bin file has the orange VLC logo appended to it.
c) Read the "README" file that gets extracted as well carefully. Don't get afraid of all the warnings and cautions mentioned therein.
d) Right click on the fwdc209b.bin file and use the SEND TO command to move this file to the SD Card. You could use the copy command as well.
e) Load the SD Card to your camera.
f) Hold down the MENU Button as you ON the camera.
g) Follow the simple instructions on the camera's Rear LCD Screen and as noted from the README FILE.
It will take approximatly 2 to 3 minutes. So wait patiently and do not fiddle with the camera.
Of course don't forget to offer a little prayer before you start. I prefer the AVE MARIA.
I have done this umpteen times from verion 1.01 to 1.16 on a fully charged battery.
Good Luck and God Bless.
Nanhi
camp: Thornhill, Ontario
07-31-2014, 07:40 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Thanks Nanhi,
Your instructions are as simple and straightforward as they get. Before you posted your reply I was able to do it by copying the .bin only to the SD card while it was plugged into my desktop. The key was to use only the .bin file. Apparently the Read Me part was screwing it up, or at least doing something. You also said a lot to get rid of the confusion, like using the term "Root Directory". I don't think your average photographer ever had occasion to use Root Directory. This is what happens when computer guys get into the act!
Thanks for your contribution.