Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-31-2014, 08:39 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
"Root Directory" is one heck of a very confusing term. For Dummies like me it just means:
a) format a fast - Class 10 - SD Card in your Camera.
b) Load the card into your Laptop. Delete the Folder DCIM and any other Folder in the card. The space where you found the DCIM folder is the "ROOT DIRECTORY". Simple. Please don't get confused.
b) Download Firmware version 1.16 from the Ricoh Japan Website ONLY. Extract the file called fwdc209b.bin - the Firmware - to your Laptop.
Note: Since I use VLC as my Video Player, the fwdc209b.bin file has the orange VLC logo appended to it.
c) Read the "README" file that gets extracted as well carefully. Don't get afraid of all the warnings and cautions mentioned therein.
d) Right click on the fwdc209b.bin file and use the SEND TO command to move this file to the SD Card. You could use the copy command as well.
e) Load the SD Card to your camera.
f) Hold down the MENU Button as you ON the camera.
g) Follow the simple instructions on the camera's Rear LCD Screen and as noted from the README FILE.
It will take approximatly 2 to 3 minutes. So wait patiently and do not fiddle with the camera.
Of course don't forget to offer a little prayer before you start. I prefer the AVE MARIA.
I have done this umpteen times from verion 1.01 to 1.16 on a fully charged battery.
Good Luck and God Bless.
Nanhi
camp: Thornhill, Ontario
This is certainly a very clear set of instructions.

08-01-2014, 01:34 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Same problem in this thread:
K-7 FIRMWARE Version 1.12 KILLED MY CAMERA
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/120-general-technical-troubleshooting/220...my-camera.html

No more than 3 people here ... who have reason to complain ?
Then this problem rather is a question of garanty and policy ex gratia (Kulanz)
And a question about a good straight honest chat with your friendly Pentax/Ricoh-Dealer.
(For I have reason to believe to be lucky eventually soon ... ?)

I want to ask again: How many cases of firmware-update-failures we can document here ?
Here - in this thread - I counted 3 (almost 4) user-reports about their dead cameras:

- - - - Dead K-7:
Electric Eye (TO)
Ex Finn.

- - - - Dead K-5
TomGarn

++++ Luckily repaired failure on K-5 and Q
p38arover

Last edited by TomGarn; 08-01-2014 at 01:40 AM.
08-01-2014, 01:43 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomGarn Quote
Same problem: Dead after firmware-update - failure:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/120-general-technical-troubleshooting/220...my-camera.html

Not more than 3 people here who have reason to complain ?
Then this problem rather is a question of garanty and policy ex gratia (Kulanz)
And a question about a good straight honest chat with your friendly Pentax/Ricoh-Dealer.
(For I have reason to may be lucky eventually soon ... ?)

I want to ask again: How many cases of firmware-update-failures we can document here ?
Here - in this thread - I counted 3 (almost 4) user-reports about their dead cameras:

- - - - Dead K-7:
Electric Eye (TO)
Ex Finn.

- - - - Dead K-5
TomGarn

++++ Luckily repaired failure on K-5 and Q
p38arover
Guess I'm lucky....have done all the updates with my K-x, K-30 and K-5IIs, from the official Japanese/ English support site (Latest K-5II/K-5IIs Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING), without any problem, so far....
08-02-2014, 01:28 AM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Guess I'm lucky....have done all the updates with my K-x, K-30 and K-5IIs ... without any problem, so far....
I also never had any problems with upgrading firmware, neither on my Pentax gear (K-x, K-5), neither on any of my smartphones. In fact, in 99.99 % of the cases there are no problems with updates.
But if you search the internet for problems with firmware updates on any device from any brand, you will find messages where it goes wrong (mostly due to people who didn't follow the exact update procedure) . A firmware/software update is always a small risk, and though the producer tries to make it as easy, stable and foolproof as possible, once in a while it goes wrong, and that can simply be bad luck.
It's up to the producer to solve these problems on a correct and professional way, and keep the customers happy.

08-02-2014, 08:46 AM   #65

I have never had problems updating firmware either, though if it did go wrong its crazy there isn't a recovery procedure. Pc motherboards have had them for years, even cheap ones.
The cost of repairing a bricked camera is extortionate and if you have got a 3 or 4 year camera you might as well bin it.
08-04-2014, 11:36 AM   #66
Veteran Member

I fail to understand why a camera (or any electronic equipment) should become a PAPERWEIGHT in case Firmware Update goes haywire.
With so much advancement in technology and smart programmers, I am sure Camera Manufacturers must have a way to:
a) first prevent any damage to chips if a firmware update has gone bad
b) and if it has gone bad, reverse the damage.
I remember having dual chips on my computer motherboard, so that if a Firmware Update went wrong the other chip took over. And some 14-years back on my Gigabyte Motherboard these chips were very very tiny.
Come on ye so called experts at Ricoh - Pentax!!?? Where is your ingenuity. And why should your esteemed Customers suffer in case a Firmware update goes wrong????
I am left scratching my head!
08-05-2014, 03:25 AM   #67
Veteran Member

This thread has got 8.800 views yet - and only 3 dead cameras - so be realistic please - or add up to the list:

2 x dead K-7 for user:
Electric Eye (TO)
Ex Finn

1 dead K-5 for user :
TomGarn

2 later repaired failures on K-5 and a Q
User: p38arover

08-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #68
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

This thread has got 8.800 views yet - and only 3 dead cameras - so be realistic please - or add up to the list:

2 x dead K-7 for user:
Electric Eye (TO)
Ex Finn

1 dead K-5 for user :
TomGarn

2 later repaired failures on K-5 and a Q
User: p38arover
Exactly. I respect the predicament of those experiencing problems, but for all these "troublesome" threads there seem to be a quite vocal few with issues making it look like it's far more widespread than it really is. I, for instance, have never experienced anything bad but very rarely do I post in these threads saying so.
08-05-2014, 04:06 PM   #69

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Smooth upgrade for me too.
Ditto! No problems at all with v1.16 from the Japanese site (English), but I find it puzzling as to why the Japanese site has firmware v1.16 and it's not on the UK site for example.

Seems crazy to think it's been several months since it's release date that other Pentax websites haven't yet incorporated it for local downloading and updated the relevant firmware page accordingly.
08-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pirate Quote
I find it puzzling as to why the Japanese site has firmware v1.16 and it's not on the UK site for example.
The Japanese site is Ricoh HQ. Other sites around the world may be Ricoh distributors, but not Ricoh-owned, for example. So the 'chain of command' may be weak.

At least be grateful that your country has a site with some firmware on it. In Australia, the Pentax site has no firmware, software or even manuals available for download.
08-05-2014, 07:24 PM   #71
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pirate Quote
Ditto! No problems at all with v1.16 from the Japanese site (English), but I find it puzzling as to why the Japanese site has firmware v1.16 and it's not on the UK site for example.

Seems crazy to think it's been several months since it's release date that other Pentax websites haven't yet incorporated it for local downloading and updated the relevant firmware page accordingly.
I've only ever used the Japan site: Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
08-07-2014, 02:24 AM   #72
Veteran Member

These two threads now have got 13.700 views - and only 3 dead cameras listed yet.
So be realistic please - take it easy - relax ... Or add your case to the lists:

Users in this Forum with sudden death of their Pentax
after corrupted firmware-update are:

2 x dead K-7:
Electric Eye
Ex Finn

1 x dead K-5:
TomGarn

2 x repaired failures on K-5 and a Q

p38arover

Read more at thread 2:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/120-general-technical-troubleshooting/220...#ixzz39hEXsqGS

Last edited by TomGarn; 08-07-2014 at 04:41 AM.
08-19-2014, 07:45 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Happy News:

Thanks to my local Pentax manager I got an exchange K-5 for my first dead-after-firmware corpse.
I had not even dared to ask Pentax, because my local repair-shop said I was out of any warranty at all !
I am happy now with two K-5. One at least serves as a back-up now... or even a second unit maybe ???

Thank you Pentax !

EDIT: Only that repair-shop in Hamburg took 40,- € for nothing - just to tell Pentax officially the camera was irreparably dead - but
the Pentax manager insited on that prodecure. Well, that was worth it ... I manage to say to myself ... even if this demand was
completely needless ...
But nothing in this world is free - except the one and only true love ..

Last edited by TomGarn; 08-20-2014 at 07:06 AM.
08-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Happy News:

Thanks to my local Pentax manager I got an exchange K-5 for my first dead-after-firmware corpse.
I had not even dared to ask Pentax, because my local repair-shop said I was out of any warranty at all !
I am happy now with two K-5. One at least serves as a back-up ... or even a second unit maybe ???

Thank you Pentax !

That's fantastic news Tom!
08-24-2014, 10:37 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Guess I haven't been here in a while. I was still using firmware version 1.01.

Update went smoothly and works fine.