Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2015, 01:12 AM   #91

Photos: Gallery
K5 and Windows 10

My thanks to those who have tried to help but my computer insists on sending me in a circle.
I double click the downloaded file and get the message " Do you want this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your PC?"
I hit "Yes" and get a dialogue box asking whether I want to install it in a directory; again I hit "Yes" and the screen clears to the desktop.
I find the directory and double click the file, only to get the above question about making changes to my PC.
I have given up for the moment and returned to my virgin K5. I may try downloading the Mac version of the firmware later....
John

11-02-2015, 01:27 AM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it is not really a mac version, of the firmweare, as such, the firmware is for the K-5, it is just packaged more simply, it is merely in a zip file, download, double click or right click extract here, drag and drop the bin file to the root of the sd card, and you are off, there is probably detailed how to somewhere in this forum.
11-02-2015, 01:56 PM   #93
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlwlad Quote
I have the same trouble as KBALL45. My windows 10 computer downloads the .exe file but double clicking does not `open' it but asks whether I want this file to alter my computer. I can transfer the .exe file to my formatted SD card but will the camera cope with it?
John
Only the bin file should go on the SD card.
11-03-2015, 03:17 PM   #94
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've helped another member who was struggling a bit with the process, by using skype. If anyone needs my help, to run them through the process, that way, I'm more than happy to help. My skype user name is mark-jerling. If you'd like to contact me on skype, please include a note to say pentaxforums so I know that's why you're contacting me.

02-26-2016, 10:38 AM   #95
Pentaxian

I just checked (it's about time! ) K5iis firmware, I have V1.0.
Thinking about update to V1.07. Is it really improve the performance, should I bother to update?
02-26-2016, 10:52 AM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Is it really improve the performance, should I bother to update?
It's usually a good idea to keep the firmware up to date, I think. There have been a lot of useful performance and other changes from v1.0 to v1.07, by the look of it.

And if you plan on using the HD PENTAX-DA AF REAR CONVERTER 1.4, the DA 560mm lens, or any of the new Pentax flashes too, I'd say updating your firmware would be a required step.

K-5II firmware changes:

Changes to V1.07
Correspond to HD PENTAX-DA AF REAR CONVERTER 1.4X AW.
Improved stability for general performance

Changes to V1.06
Corrected – Unstable performance may rarely occur in firmware version 1.05.

Changes to V1.05
Correspond to the AF assist light function by white LED light for auto flash unit [AF360FGZII] and [AF540FGZII].
Optimized contrast AF when using HD PENTAX-DA Limited series lenses

Changes to V1.04
Corrected – Switch operation may not rarely work during displaying Status screen in firmware version 1.03.
Improved stability for general performance.

Changes to V1.03
Improved the accuracy of exposure when using AA batteries.

Changes to V1.02
Optimized contrast AF when using [HD PENTAX-DA 560mmF5.6ED AW] lens.

Changes to V1.01
Enabled contrast adjustment on Monitor.
(Added [contrast ]on [LCD setting ]menu)
02-27-2016, 06:57 AM   #97
Pentaxian

Actually I wanted a feedback if update really improves the performance as stated by manufacturer. Update can go wrong, so I'm not sure if it worth to risk.

02-27-2016, 09:17 PM   #98
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Lana
While the update can go wrong, those occurences are rare if you follow the instructions. I can't say if performance is "really" improved, other than to say that Ricoh says there's "improved stability for general performance".
If you're not seeing any issues now, like freezing that requires you to pull the battery to power off, then it's probably not neccesary to do the update. I, myself, have done every firmware update with no problems.
02-27-2016, 09:22 PM   #99
Pentaxian

Mark, than you, that's all what I needed to know. So far I don't have any issues, but later I plan to get TC, so I probably will postpone update till that time.
02-28-2016, 01:03 AM   #100
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Mark, than you, that's all what I needed to know. So far I don't have any issues, but later I plan to get TC, so I probably will postpone update till that time.
Well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
03-31-2016, 09:30 AM   #101

K5 software updates

How do I check version currently installed in K5 body purchased in July 2013?
I have searched the operating manual and either I have missed it or it's not in there.

Also, how can I get a helpful list of all the functions I will gain (or have to re-learn) by updating the software?

I am definitely one of those 'if it's not broken don't fix it people', so would have to be sure I am going to get something I need or want before doing any update. Since I don't use the video functions, and only the manual and 'TAV' exposure settings, it is possible that updates only relate to functions I do not use.
03-31-2016, 09:50 AM   #102

With the camera switched off hold down the menu button and turn on.
03-31-2016, 01:57 PM   #103

K5 Software update

Thank you 'woodworm' for your helpful advice - this tells me I have version 1.01 on my K5.

I have just checked all the index entries for 'menu' K5 operations manual, and none of them explain this.
Also, there are no index entries for 'firmware' or 'software'...

I have now found and used links from the Forum website to find the K5 Firmware update history on the Ricoh Pentax website
Latest K-5II/K-5IIs Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

If this is complete, and not being aware of any problems with 'stability' (what a wonderfully vague term), I suspect I can safely stay with 1.01.
Some of the updates are to fix problems with earlier updates - I worked in computer programming for 20 years, and recognise the symptoms of 'fix and hope' whch is cheaper and quicker than 'fix and test before release'.
03-31-2016, 04:31 PM   #104
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
If you've never had any strange freeze issues, then, by all means stay with 1.01. I have done all firmware updates on my K-5 without any issues and, in my case, it has improved the camera in so far as unexplained freezes are concerned.
04-17-2016, 09:48 AM   #105

Sorry for blurtingin...

I updated to 1.16 the other week on my K-5 mk 1. I've noticed that the battery lasts no time, or changes state of charge all over the place. I'm thinking of going back to 1.15 or 1.14...