Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-17-2016, 02:54 PM   #106
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J_Master_General Quote
Sorry for blurtingin...

I updated to 1.16 the other week on my K-5 mk 1. I've noticed that the battery lasts no time, or changes state of charge all over the place. I'm thinking of going back to 1.15 or 1.14...
Interesting. Have you tried the camera with a second battery to makes sure it's not the firmware update that's caused the trouble?

04-18-2016, 12:19 AM   #107

Interesting point. It's definitely better with one of the batteries, but still pretty awful. 25 shots vs 10.

It's been many years since having to choose 36 shots wisely!
04-18-2016, 03:29 AM   #108
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J_Master_General Quote
Interesting point. It's definitely better with one of the batteries, but still pretty awful. 25 shots vs 10.

It's been many years since having to choose 36 shots wisely!
It sounds like there's something badly wrong there. With that sort of battery draining, the battery should be red hot.
04-18-2016, 01:55 PM   #109

I don't think it is draining that quickly. I think the algorithm for the state of charge has changed. It charges back up in no time.

Could be my firmware didn't write properly. There was some weird flickering when I powered back on after updating.

04-18-2016, 03:48 PM   #110
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's very disappointing. Don't know what to suggest as a fix.
04-19-2016, 10:32 AM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chester UK Quote
Thank you 'woodworm' for your helpful advice - this tells me I have version 1.01 on my K5.

I have just checked all the index entries for 'menu' K5 operations manual, and none of them explain this.
Also, there are no index entries for 'firmware' or 'software'...

I have now found and used links from the Forum website to find the K5 Firmware update history on the Ricoh Pentax website
Latest K-5II/K-5IIs Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

If this is complete, and not being aware of any problems with 'stability' (what a wonderfully vague term), I suspect I can safely stay with 1.01.
Some of the updates are to fix problems with earlier updates - I worked in computer programming for 20 years, and recognise the symptoms of 'fix and hope' whch is cheaper and quicker than 'fix and test before release'.
It should be noted before things go wrong, you stated you have the K5, but the link you posted is for the K5II / K5IIs, don't try to load this firmware on your K5. It's not the right one for your camera....

This is the one you would want for your K5...

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/k-5_s.html

Last edited by eccs19; 04-19-2016 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Added K5 link.
04-20-2016, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #112

Photos: Gallery
Thank you - I have now checked the correct details for the K5 updates using the link you supplied.

Some of my original comments still apply - there are too many occurrences of 'Improved stability for general performance', and the specific hardware mentioned is not relevant for me.

So noting the problems some other members have had, I will stick with 1.01.

05-20-2016, 12:54 AM   #113

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Latest firmware update now available from Latest K-5 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
I've done the update and K-5 is functioning correctly after.
Do remember to read the "readme" file and ensure you have a fully charged battery and a formatted SD card for doing the upgrade.
Soft Focus after upgrading to 1.16

I upgraded firmware on my Pentax K5 to 1.16 last week. Before upgrading the firmware I had auto focus issues only with Sigma 18-250 mm lens. Now after upgrading I am having soft focus even with my prime 18-55 mm lens. Does anyone has similar issue ?
05-20-2016, 12:57 AM   #114
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by photo_king Quote
Soft Focus after upgrading to 1.16

I upgraded firmware on my Pentax K5 to 1.16 last week. Before upgrading the firmware I had auto focus issues only with Sigma 18-250 mm lens. Now after upgrading I am having soft focus even with my prime 18-55 mm lens. Does anyone has similar issue ?
A firmware update isn't going to affect focusing performance, unless it happened to have reset your adjustment profiles.

Can you post some examples of the problematic photos?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-13-2016, 04:40 AM   #115

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
A firmware update isn't going to affect focusing performance, unless it happened to have reset your adjustment profiles.

Can you post some examples of the problematic photos?
Before update I had soft focus on my sigma lens. At the time of update i had sigma lens on my camera, and after update there is no soft focus on sigma lens, gets sharp images. But now i get soft focus on my kit lens. can this happen ?
10-23-2016, 07:35 PM   #116
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by photo_king Quote
Before update I had soft focus on my sigma lens. At the time of update i had sigma lens on my camera, and after update there is no soft focus on sigma lens, gets sharp images. But now i get soft focus on my kit lens. can this happen ?
Probably not related to firmware unless the global adjustment was reset?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-06-2017, 02:17 PM   #117
Pentaxian

Resurrecting this thread to ask a question recently posed by a UK Pentax User forum member who has asked if anyone has successfully, or not, upgraded a K-5 from f/w V1.01 directly to the latest V1.16 (or any intermediate version) as she is very concerned that that upgrade could brick the camera?

Edited. the main reason that she asked the question is because, it seems, that V.01 is not currently shown on the Ricoh.jp site as one of those from which an upgrade is possible.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jeallen01; 10-06-2017 at 02:47 PM.
10-08-2017, 02:21 PM   #118
Pentaxian

Sorry to Bump the post below, but I really would appreciate any answers/comments?

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Resurrecting this thread to ask a question recently posed by a UK Pentax User forum member who has asked if anyone has successfully, or not, upgraded a K-5 from f/w V1.01 directly to the latest V1.16 (or any intermediate version) as she is very concerned that that upgrade could brick the camera?

Edited. the main reason that she asked the question is because, it seems, that V.01 is not currently shown on the Ricoh.jp site as one of those from which an upgrade is possible.

Thanks in advance.
12-16-2017, 07:39 PM   #119

After downloading the file onto a card, when I try to open it, I get the message like it is going to install on my computer. I can't get to the readme or bin file. Suggestions?
12-17-2017, 07:15 AM   #120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by war eagle Quote
After downloading the file onto a card, when I try to open it, I get the message like it is going to install on my computer. I can't get to the readme or bin file. Suggestions?
You need a zip file extraction programme like 7Zip (free) - download and install that, then "right click" on the zipped f/w file and extract the contents to the location of your choice, where you should then find the bin file (not sure that the readme is included nowadays, but the website download page has the required info).