Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2014, 07:08 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1
Pentax K5 focusing screen questions

Hello,
I read that the Canon type ee-s is the best focusing screen for Pentax cameras. When I look at screen comparisons on focusingscreen.com, it looks just like the regular screen which is in the K5 - no split, no prism. So why is this such a good screen to use for manual focus? Another person mentioned that the Nikon type K3 focusing screen is great - this one actually has a split image mechanism - so wouldn't this one be better and more precise?

03-12-2014, 07:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 385
The EE-S screen blurs the out of focus parts a lot more than the stock screen. This makes manual focus much easier because the difference between in focus and out of focus is so obvious. But it's a little darker. Not much though.

Wish Pentax made something similar.
03-12-2014, 08:05 AM   #3
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,720
The Pentax screen doesn't show the true DOF, it shows more than is there because it is optimized for brightness. The Canon Ee-S will show you the true DOF down to f1.2.

If you prefer the focusing aids in the middle be aware that they will make spot metering inaccurate, center weighted and matrix are usually unaffected. This is the main reason the Canon screen is preferred, it does not negatively affect metering and if you are doing stop down metering (M42 or M lenses) it will improve the accuracy at smaller apertures. With the Pentax screen it tends to underexpose when you get past f5.6.
06-11-2016, 07:48 AM   #4
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 5
Is it possible to use the Canon Ee-s screen on Pentax K5/K7 direct? Or will a modification be a must?

Søren Skovsø

06-12-2016, 12:24 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Bengan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Stockholm
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 315
QuoteOriginally posted by søren skovsø Quote
Is it possible to use the Canon Ee-s screen on Pentax K5/K7 direct? Or will a modification be a must?

The Ee-S from focusingscreen.com is cut to size and fits as is but you should expect the necessity for a front/back focus adjustment. This is done by changing the metal shim between the screen and the prism. Don't use the plastic shims supplied from focusingscreen.com. Buy a metal shim kit from Richo/Pentax.
06-12-2016, 02:40 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Bengan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Stockholm
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 315
QuoteOriginally posted by dreamplayhouse Quote
this one actually has a split image mechanism - so wouldn't this one be better and more precise?

I have a Ec-L (cross hair prism) in my K-5II and a Ee-S in my K-3. I personally prefer the Ee-S. The split image screens work well when there are some "sharp lines" in focus, but the Ee-S is better in general (in my opinion).
06-12-2016, 04:46 AM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 5
QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
The Ee-S from focusingscreen.com is cut to size and fits as is but you should expect the necessity for a front/back focus adjustment. This is done by changing the metal shim between the screen and the prism. Don't use the plastic shims supplied from focusingscreen.com. Buy a metal shim kit from Richo/Pentax.
Hello Bengan
And thank you, for a good comment.
I already got front focus on K5 and K7 (around 6-8), and adjusted it in micro mode menu.So i hope the result will
turn to the right side!
I am glad you told about the shim - I think it will help me on my way to a exact focusing.
Good regards

Søren
06-12-2016, 03:10 PM   #8
Tas
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 990
S Type in K5

G'Day Søren,

I installed the S type in my K5 as I was really struggling with fast manual focus lenses. I included the frame and grid patterns. I can confirm the following:

  • The S type was a huge inmprovement over the standard screen when focusing manually with wide apertures.
  • I did not notice any real difference with smaller apertures and without swapping between the standard and S type cannot really comment on the screen being darker than the standard. I expect this was more a case of me adapting to the new set up which you would have to do if you swap to an S type screen.
  • The standard shims did need to be swapped out for the provided shims. this was easy to do and the focusingscreen site has downloadable instructions that are step by step with images for the steps too. I just installed the supplied shims as I wasn't aware that I could buy a metal shim kit from Ricoh/Pentax, though I don't have any negatives to report on using the plastic shims.
  • Having both the frame and grid was I think excessive and recommend you consider adding one of them over none or both.
  • These focusing aids do affect metering. The biggest issue I found so far as metering goes is when swapping between landscape and portrait orientation where it would under expose in portrait. The issue is manageable by taking note of correct shutter speed/aperture/ISO and switching to manual. Set the ISO and aperture or shutter, then if swapping camera orientation it's a quick turn on either the shutter or aperture wheel. This slows you down of course and therefore could cause issues if fast action/catching the moment is what you regularly aim to capture. Other than that the aids were of more help than not having them in my opinion/experience.
  • The biggest issue I had with swapping the focusing screen was dust. I installed the screen with the standard shims, knew the focus was out so removed the S type screen to swap the shims and at the same time introduced dust. Not the end of the world but distracting and apparently can be avoided by steaming up the bathroom, letting it clear a bit then doing the screen swaps in an environment where the moisture results in less airborne dust. This is something I will try the next time as the dust annoys me and my OCD issues.
I have no experience with the split screen, it looks like a great option to try until you see it goes black as you stop down. This renders it somewhat useless for small aperture use so what's the point unless you intend to shoot only with wider apertures than f8? Here's a great video example of the split screen in use that shows the good and bad about their use: A Demo of Split Screen and Microprism Ring Focusing in Old SLRs If you would normally be using a tripod when stopped down you of course still have live view to use, so your circumstances for shooting will determine the viability of the split screen option.

Don't forget to do a search for 'focusing screen' on this forum, there's multiple threads to be found with lots more opinions/experiences to draw information from on this topic.

All the best mate, if you're shooting manual focus this is a good choice to take.


Tas

06-13-2016, 07:42 AM   #9
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 5
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
G'Day Søren,

I installed the S type in my K5 as I was really struggling with fast manual focus lenses. I included the frame and grid patterns. I can confirm the following:

  • The S type was a huge inmprovement over the standard screen when focusing manually with wide apertures.
  • I did not notice any real difference with smaller apertures and without swapping between the standard and S type cannot really comment on the screen being darker than the standard. I expect this was more a case of me adapting to the new set up which you would have to do if you swap to an S type screen.
  • The standard shims did need to be swapped out for the provided shims. this was easy to do and the focusingscreen site has downloadable instructions that are step by step with images for the steps too. I just installed the supplied shims as I wasn't aware that I could buy a metal shim kit from Ricoh/Pentax, though I don't have any negatives to report on using the plastic shims.
  • Having both the frame and grid was I think excessive and recommend you consider adding one of them over none or both.
  • These focusing aids do affect metering. The biggest issue I found so far as metering goes is when swapping between landscape and portrait orientation where it would under expose in portrait. The issue is manageable by taking note of correct shutter speed/aperture/ISO and switching to manual. Set the ISO and aperture or shutter, then if swapping camera orientation it's a quick turn on either the shutter or aperture wheel. This slows you down of course and therefore could cause issues if fast action/catching the moment is what you regularly aim to capture. Other than that the aids were of more help than not having them in my opinion/experience.
  • The biggest issue I had with swapping the focusing screen was dust. I installed the screen with the standard shims, knew the focus was out so removed the S type screen to swap the shims and at the same time introduced dust. Not the end of the world but distracting and apparently can be avoided by steaming up the bathroom, letting it clear a bit then doing the screen swaps in an environment where the moisture results in less airborne dust. This is something I will try the next time as the dust annoys me and my OCD issues.
I have no experience with the split screen, it looks like a great option to try until you see it goes black as you stop down. This renders it somewhat useless for small aperture use so what's the point unless you intend to shoot only with wider apertures than f8? Here's a great video example of the split screen in use that shows the good and bad about their use: A Demo of Split Screen and Microprism Ring Focusing in Old SLRs If you would normally be using a tripod when stopped down you of course still have live view to use, so your circumstances for shooting will determine the viability of the split screen option.

Don't forget to do a search for 'focusing screen' on this forum, there's multiple threads to be found with lots more opinions/experiences to draw information from on this topic.

All the best mate, if you're shooting manual focus this is a good choice to take.


Tas
Hello Tas
And thanks for good respons. and also your experience with the shims.
I really like this forum and all that enthusiasm. Experts and amateurs together,
I liked the old split-cirkels on SLR, so easy to use. -Time goes by..
But i do understand that the EE-S type will bee a good choice.
Good Regards
Søren
06-13-2016, 02:18 PM   #10
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 5
QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
I have a Ec-L (cross hair prism) in my K-5II and a Ee-S in my K-3. I personally prefer the Ee-S. The split image screens work well when there are some "sharp lines" in focus, but the Ee-S is better in general (in my opinion).
Ok - I try to open a line
I just had seen the firm "focusingscreen.com" stopped with selling , screens and shims for calibrating.
And I was on my way to by the EE-S type with a set of spacers(shims).
Dam..
What now?
Do anyboddy knows anything?
I got a dim Viewfinder and front focus on two cameras, so I had to do something
Help!
Søren
06-13-2016, 10:17 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Bengan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Stockholm
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 315
Just checked and focusingscreen.com looked open for business as usual. Have you tried to place an order?? (Focusing Screen)
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, k5 focusing screen, pentax, pentax k-5, pentax k5, screen, split, type
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Split image Focusing Screen for K7,K5, K30, etc. lewis44 Sold Items 3 03-07-2014 03:36 PM
Focusing screen same as K5? klkitchens Pentax K-3 2 12-09-2013 10:51 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax K5 + Extended Warranty + S-Type Focusing Screen john43 Sold Items 3 08-08-2012 07:40 AM
Focusing manual lens with OEM focusing screen, is a split screen really needed? skid2964 Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 16 09-17-2010 02:54 PM
Focusing screen details and questions Big Dave Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 11-29-2008 08:13 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:19 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top