Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2014, 09:59 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just pulled the trigger on a K5II

Hello,

I just pulled the trigger on a mint K5II from the marketplace. Gotta love this place
My actual main body is a K20D with a K-x as backup and a K100DSuper as backup of the backup

The main reason to upgrade is higher ISO performance. Faster fps and better AF are nice too....

What can I expect going from the K20D to the K5II? Any comments, hints or tips on the transition?

Can't wait to get it!

Thanks!

03-14-2014, 10:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I went from K-7 to K-5II. Same sensor as K20D. I'm not a crazy pixel-peeper or low light fanatic, but the increase in high ISO performance is quite noticeable and genuinely useful. Just looked at a shot the other day from my K-5II at ISO 5000 that I swear my K-7 couldn't reproduce at 1600.

Beyond that, I knew what to expect regarding build quality, ergonomics, general performance, etc, and it sounds like you do too. I think you'll love it!
03-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went from a K20 to a K5 2.5 years ago.
  • Lower ISO - 80 with tremendous dynamic range.
  • Higher ISO - 6400+ that is really useable.
  • Excellent lower noise everywhere with better image quality, especially at night.
  • With the 5II, you should get much better AF in much lower light.
  • A slightly smaller body.
  • The SR switch disappears to within the menu.
  • A much nicer rear display (my opinion).

03-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I predict you'll get so used to your K5II that you won't remember where the buttons are on your older bodies!
That's what happened to my K10D....then I sold it.

And yeah, ISO 6400 is no problem in most situations.
Oh, and some of the older lenses might show more CA with the K5.

03-14-2014, 11:16 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

For me the jump (3 years ago) from my K20 to K5 was huge. I took me 3-6 months before the "muscle memory" of operating controls on the K5 were second nature to me. I have continued to use my K20 as my back up camera and still shoot with it for periods of time. However, now using the K20 has become more and more frustrating not just for the controls but the inferior image quality and I'd think that the K5II would accentuate that even more. I've recently realized that my K20 has had it's day (or two) but I've out grown it. My focus now is saving for a K3.
03-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

I just pulled the trigger on a mint K5II from the marketplace. Gotta love this place
My actual main body is a K20D with a K-x as backup and a K100DSuper as backup of the backup

The main reason to upgrade is higher ISO performance. Faster fps and better AF are nice too....

What can I expect going from the K20D to the K5II? Any comments, hints or tips on the transition?

Can't wait to get it!

Thanks!
Me thinks you b happy