Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Catch in Focus,

I finally got around to trying the Catch-in-focus function of my K-5 II with a Vivitar 70-210mm f2.8-4.0 manual focus lens I purchased while back. I had tried using my eyes to focus with and just couldn't do it very well. Eventually I plan on getting auto focus 50-250mm and thought the Vivitar would fill the gap until then. Today I tried the CIF with the lens and was surprised with how accurate & easy it was to use. My only complaint was I had to move the focus button back to the shutter button.

I don't do much sports photography, but this Sunday I will be watching my granddaughter playing rugby and thought the 70-210mm would be better than my 18-135mm.

03-14-2014, 05:15 PM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
I finally got around to trying the Catch-in-focus function of my K-5 II with a Vivitar 70-210mm f2.8-4.0 manual focus lens I purchased while back. I had tried using my eyes to focus with and just couldn't do it very well. Eventually I plan on getting auto focus 50-250mm and thought the Vivitar would fill the gap until then. Today I tried the CIF with the lens and was surprised with how accurate & easy it was to use. My only complaint was I had to move the focus button back to the shutter button.

I don't do much sports photography, but this Sunday I will be watching my granddaughter playing rugby and thought the 70-210mm would be better than my 18-135mm.
Looking forward to some shots with your results!
03-14-2014, 06:06 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My only complaint was I had to move the focus button back to the shutter button
You can use CIF when your focus is assigned to the back button. Hold down the AF back button first, keep it held down, and then hold down the shutter button. With both buttons held down, focus the lens. When the focus is correct, the shutter will fire.
03-15-2014, 01:08 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
You can use CIF when your focus is assigned to the back button. Hold down the AF back button first, keep it held down, and then hold down the shutter button. With both buttons held down, focus the lens. When the focus is correct, the shutter will fire.
I tried that, but found it was too awkward to hold the camera & lens & and pushing both buttons at the same time. I will probably keep the camera focus setup using the AF back button except for those times with using a manual lens.
My granddaughter's game is this Sunday and it's suppose to be raining. If it rains the only weather proof lens I have is the DA 18-135mm. Then I will have to decide to watch from the sidelines or behind the end zone. I have never watched rugby before, so will be a learning experience.

03-16-2014, 06:18 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
<snip>My granddaughter's game is this Sunday and it's suppose to be raining. If it rains the only weather proof lens I have is the DA 18-135mm. Then I will have to decide to watch from the sidelines or behind the end zone. I have never watched rugby before, so will be a learning experience.
Conceptually, it's not very different than watching or photographing football / soccer. You can do it from the end zones but the photos will be more intriguing if you do it while moving with the action along the sidelines.
Have fun doing it.
03-16-2014, 11:32 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
Thanks! Going to try that out....newbie to K5 and enjoy learning all these bells and whistles!
03-20-2014, 10:01 AM   #7
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I tried that, but found it was too awkward to hold the camera & lens & and pushing both buttons at the same time. I will probably keep the camera focus setup using the AF back button except for those times with using a manual lens.
A tip I got from another thread; you can set the AF in a User mode, so if you usually have AF assigned to the back button you can have it assigned to the shutter button in a user mode.

I have it that way mainly to be able to quickly switch it over to "normal" in case somebody else should need to use my camera.

03-21-2014, 11:19 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
A tip I got from another thread; you can set the AF in a User mode, so if you usually have AF assigned to the back button you can have it assigned to the shutter button in a user mode.

I have it that way mainly to be able to quickly switch it over to "normal" in case somebody else should need to use my camera.
That is a great ideal. Don't know why I didn't think of it. Thank you.