Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #1

J Peg/Raw

Hi: I did a night shoot downtown last night, froze half to death Anyway, I set my K5IIs on raw! The pictures turned out not bad? But I want them in Jpeg form also! Now my question is I took some pics recently & they were in Raw & jpeg these are just in raw form. I want both, I find jpeg's are easier in some ways to work with? Why did these just come up in raw form. I'm old school & lost here in The Great White North! Thanks Silk

03-22-2014, 09:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You need to go to the settings to 'Image capture settings' and set it to 'RAW+'. That way it save both a jpeg and a RAW file for each photo.

Not sure which menu it is on K-5 but on my K-3 it is the second item in the first menu.
03-22-2014, 09:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

... and you could just take those RAW files und process them into JPG using your RAW converter software of choice.
03-22-2014, 09:58 AM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can also convert the RAW images to JPEG in the camera. During playback of a raw image, hit the down button on the four way controller, then pick the RAW conversion option, hit OK, and follow the prompts. This will create a new file for each image you convert and not overwrite the original images. You can convert several images at once.

03-22-2014, 09:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter

RAW is just that, the raw data, you really cannot view it as such. What you are actually seeing when you view a RAW is either the software's interpretation of the data or the embedded jpeg thumbnail. If you don't want the RAW files and don't want to process them yourself then just set the camera to shoot jpeg.

For the RAW images you already took you will need to process them in software on your computer into jpeg images. Many programs do this including Lightroom, Aperture and the software included with your camera. But without processing all you have is the raw data and an embedded jpeg thumbnail. The processing can be quite simple (just load the RAW and save as jpeg) or very complex with processing in several different software applications before saving the final result as jpeg or TIF.

Your camera has settings to shoot jpeg or RAW or RAW+(which is RAW and jpeg). In addition you have a choice between different qualities of jpegs and for RAW files a choice between DNG and PEF format. I believe at this point DNG is the better choice but you can use either as long as you have software that will read that format.
03-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #6
Pentaxian

On your camera you have the settings Jpeg, Raw, Raw+. Jpeg is only jpeg, raw is only raw (dng or pef, depending on menu choice), and raw+ is jpeg and raw.
Raw files do not look good - they are merely raw data that you have to develop into a photo. Jpeg are already developed for you by the camera, according to what it thinks should look pretty okay.
If you have only raw files, you need to use raw developing software. There are many to choose from. If you really go for it, I'm sure you can make these photos look better than the out of camera jpegs, but it is a skill you have to acquire.
You can use Silkypix (comes with camera), Lightroom, Photoshop, Aperture (for Mac, Apple), RawTherapee (free), Gimp (free), FastStone (free), Dxo Optics, Corel Aftershot Pro, Phase One Capture One.. many of these also offer free trial versions. Once you open a photo in one of these, you can develop it and export a jpeg. You can also choose jpeg size and compression, so you can make them smaller for email or larger for print.
03-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #7

Original Poster
Jpeg/raw

Thanks all Now new problem Ole you said I can convert them on the camera, I see that, I did a couple. But when I try to do multiple pics , there's no prompt button to hit? I don't know, looking for some thing to say GO! The OK button just unchecks pics Sorry for being such a pain Silk
03-22-2014, 12:54 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Silkzone Quote
Thanks all Now new problem Ole you said I can convert them on the camera, I see that, I did a couple. But when I try to do multiple pics , there's no prompt button to hit? I don't know, looking for some thing to say GO! The OK button just unchecks pics Sorry for being such a pain Silk
Install the Pentax software that came with your camera. It will let you convert jpegs to raws using the same settings that the came lets you configure, i.e. Custom Image.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-22-2014, 03:03 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Or you could download a free copy of Picasa. It will read DNG (Raw) files and save copies as JPEGS. Good, free, fast, basic editor.

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 03-22-2014 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
03-23-2014, 08:30 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
You can also convert the RAW images to JPEG in the camera. During playback of a raw image, hit the down button on the four way controller, then pick the RAW conversion option, hit OK, and follow the prompts. This will create a new file for each image you convert and not overwrite the original images. You can convert several images at once.
Hi: Thanks for your response. I see where I can change them on my camera, I've done a few single pics., But when I try to do multiple pics I check them, then there's nowhere to go?? I have the book but can't find anything in it!! I'm trying to find the manual on line, but seems to be hid somewhere! I have two Pentax P5s so much easier then! Thanks again. Silk
03-23-2014, 11:02 AM   #11
Forum Member

I have the silkypix from my MX-1 on my computer and when I got the K500 I figured the silkypix would work but it won't open the raw files from the K500? sort of weird. Pixeluvo and Corel Paintshop both work though.
03-23-2014, 12:48 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Install the Pentax software that came with your camera. It will let you convert jpegs to raws using the same settings that the came lets you configure, i.e. Custom Image.
Hey Adam: I can't see it in the Pentax software? Looked all over, even adjusted some of the pics, but I don't see the conversion part? Also the camera should do it I found where it is & can do one at a time. But there is a multiple pics thing I check all the pics, but then there's nowhere to go from there?? Is there a decent Pentax user manual on line somewhere? Thanks Silk
03-23-2014, 02:41 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I'd use the Pentax software if you can make it work.

But if you can't, and you're on Windows, try this:

Desktop | Perfectly Clear

It will both convert and auto adjust for you. It's designed to work in batches.
03-25-2014, 03:35 AM   #14
Pentaxian

FASTSTONE Image Viewer..
Brilliant freebie that is so much more than a viewer.
03-25-2014, 05:24 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Another recommend for Faststone. I have Photoshop, Lightroom, etc, etc, I have nearly all the recommended RAW processing software. But Faststone is the easiest and fast program I have ever used for post-processing. It does everything I usually need to prepare my shots for publication on the internet, and it does it well. It's free, too!