Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
115,000 Shutter Actuations Finally Killed It

If any of you have been following my K3 problems, you'll already know I've, conversely, had a great experience with the K5-II. It has been super solid... not a single error or problem in all the time-lapse shooting (or any shooting) I've been doing.

Well today, I finally killed it. I was up over 110,000 shutter actuations... probably closer to 115,000... and it just died completely. Won't focus, won't take a photo, and only powers up with a sad little repetitive sound when you try to do anything.

Not at all unexpected since I'm pretty sure it's only rated up to 100,000 shutter actuations... and it have served me VERY well. I felt a little sad when in failed to work no more.

Hopefully the two K5-IIs bodies I just bought will serve me just as well...

03-24-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In a weird way, congratulations. I dream of killing a DSLR through high shutter count. Sucks it died, but you got a ton of usage out of it, and that's what matters.

Best of luck with the new ones!
03-24-2014, 08:19 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you acquire a Pentax extended warranty with it? You should be within 3 years of purchase.

03-24-2014, 09:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Did you acquire a Pentax extended warranty with it? You should be within 3 years of purchase.

I have bought the extended warranty on the two new K5-IIs bodies I picked up... but the K5-II was actually a loaner from Pentax because of all the issues I've had.

03-24-2014, 09:47 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
OK, there's a perverse form of justice that Pentax owns the K-5II...
03-24-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Amy
I highly recommend getting a weather sealed shutter less camera for your profession. These DSLRs, not matter from Nikon,Canon or anyone, are not gonna last very long for you.
03-24-2014, 10:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Oh, but the K-3 is rated to 150 000...

03-24-2014, 10:27 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Danny...

I don't know enough about "shutterless cameras" to comment, other than to say that most point-and-shoot cameras (cheaper shutterless cameras) would present their own set of problems, and I'm sure, would not prove as solidly reliable. Battery life would be dismal (I don't often have access to AC power). Higher ISO performance would be poor. Just to name a few.

And spending thousands on custom, industrial, shutterless cameras isn't going to make much sense either.

Chances are, I'm going to kill the shutters in about 4 months. If I have the extended warranty, that should cover it. From what I understand, even if I don't have the warranty, $300ish should replace the shutter. It's just the cost for what I'm doing, and I've accepted it (for now).

If you (or anyone) has a better suggestion, I'm definitely open to it.

---------- Post added 03-25-14 at 12:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Oh, but the K-3 is rated to 150 000...
Yeah, but with the K3 I couldn't get anywhere near that without other issues... like constant lockups. LOL
03-25-2014, 12:13 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
but the K5-II was actually a loaner from Pentax because of all the issues I've had.
hilarious!
03-25-2014, 01:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Amy, I can't even begin to imagine what you photograph to mange that number of shutter actuations in that timespan but even more where do you find the time to edit them all?
03-25-2014, 01:48 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope that they give you another loaner for the loaner. If they are not able to find a solution quickly, you can then kill another loaner.

03-25-2014, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
hilarious!
It is kinda funny - LOL - but I will say, it's certainly proved to me that the K5-II is one reliable camera!

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
Amy, I can't even begin to imagine what you photograph to mange that number of shutter actuations in that timespan but even more where do you find the time to edit them all?
I'm shooting time-lapse professionally. Yesterday, I was at a job site for 7 hours and probably took about 8,500 shots. I'll process them today to convert them to video and make any color corrections after it's converted. I do not go through each photo and make corrections. As you can imagine, it's important to get the exposure right when I'm shooting.

Here's an example I shot about 2 weeks ago:

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I hope that they give you another loaner for the loaner. If they are not able to find a solution quickly, you can then kill another loaner.

Yeah, I'm not counting on another loaner. The loaner was in place because of all the problem I had locally with my retailer due to a repair debacle with my original K5. They had screwed me up big-time back in August, and Pentax stepped in to help smooth things over... that was even before I bought the K3 and started having all the issues with it. Then, when the K3 adventure began, Pentax told me to hold onto it until the issue was resolved - but for me, that happened last week when I returned the 2nd K3 and got two K5-IIs bodies instead. I was likely going to have to send the loaner back within the next week or so anyway. That's assuming I have no issues with the K5-IIs bodies of course, but based on the solid performance of the K5-II, I don't expect to.

03-26-2014, 07:47 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IT Seems the man who told you to go shutter less is correct . how about the ko1. it is SLR like and will use all of your lenses . Otherwise I hope you are getting paid well and then it is just an Expense you have to pay.
03-26-2014, 07:50 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
IT Seems the man who told you to go shutter less is correct . how about the ko1. it is SLR like and will use all of your lenses .
K-01 is 'mirrorless' - it still has a mechanical shutter.
03-26-2014, 07:53 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
IT Seems the man who told you to go shutter less is correct . how about the ko1. it is SLR like and will use all of your lenses . Otherwise I hope you are getting paid well and then it is just an Expense you have to pay.
The K-01 isn't shutterless. Mirrorless does not equal shutterless. I actually have a K-01 already. It was a cheap backup body to buy, and I actually like it for some of my static, wide-angle, tripod shots.

I can't speak to it specifically since I don't know that much about shutterless cameras, but what I do know is that the ones that seem more affordable (ie. point-and-shoot cameras) present their own set of problems, like bad high ISO performance or terrible battery life. Plus shutterless doesn't necessarily mean more durable. Other reliability issues could crop up.

From what I figure, the shutter probably costs about $300 to replace (if not covered under warranty). The camera body is $799. In a year's time, if I have to replace the shutter three times, that's a total investment of $1699. For a working photographer, I don't think that's unreasonable at all. And that's only if it's not covered under warranty.