Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #1

K3 vs Nikon D610

Hello all,

Hope you all are doing well. I had a question and I thought this place would be perfect to get an honest opinion. I have used Pentax K5 for almost 3 years and recently sold it (I still have two Pentax lenses), because I wanted to buy Nikon D610. I went and checked it, also took few shots, and did not really like a lot. It looks great on paper, but when I checked it in my hand, it was not really pleasing or WOW. Since I do not have my K5, I was thinking to go for K3 instead of Nikon D610. I mainly take my daughters pictures and landscapes. And I am also not a professional photographer. My question is do I go and buy a Nikon D610 with sigma 50 mm F1.4, (which will cost me $2600) or I should buy K3 and save some dollars. I also wanted to know how is general / overall picture quality for K3 vs D610.

Thanks for your time and consideration in advance,

Utkarsh

04-01-2014, 04:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would be interested to hear what 2 Pentax lenses you have.

But if you didn't like the D610 I see little reason to go to it.

For what you shoot, I think the Fujifilm system would be better suited, if you're going to switch. They have some outstanding lenses, plus some very good low priced ones. And they have the best 18-55 on the market. It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn good, and it might be the only lens you want.

I think the newest body would be better (X-T1), but the older (recent) bodies can be found for good prices, including well priced lens bundles, so they're worth looking at.

But the K-3 and even the K-5 II/IIs are very good, so I think you'd like them too. My hunch is you'll be happy with either the Pentax or Fujifilm systems.
04-01-2014, 04:14 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Utkarsh Quote
Hello all,

Hope you all are doing well. I had a question and I thought this place would be perfect to get an honest opinion. I have used Pentax K5 for almost 3 years and recently sold it (I still have two Pentax lenses), because I wanted to buy Nikon D610. I went and checked it, also took few shots, and did not really like a lot. It looks great on paper, but when I checked it in my hand, it was not really pleasing or WOW. Since I do not have my K5, I was thinking to go for K3 instead of Nikon D610. I mainly take my daughters pictures and landscapes. And I am also not a professional photographer. My question is do I go and buy a Nikon D610 with sigma 50 mm F1.4, (which will cost me $2600) or I should buy K3 and save some dollars. I also wanted to know how is general / overall picture quality for K3 vs D610.

Thanks for your time and consideration in advance,

Utkarsh
The image quality is very, very close at low ISOs, but the D610 does pull ahead after you crank it up as dictated by physics. The D610 + 85mm F1.8 for portraits ($1900+500) isn't that much more than the K-3 + DA* 55mm ($1300+800), so IMO your decision should be based on what types of photos you'll be taking most of the time. If it's just for portraits and landscapes, you won't really be able to take advantage of the K-3's faster FPS and smaller tele lenses, for instance, which are two of its big selling points. At the end of the day both cameras are great and I'm sure you'd be happy with either one. There are plenty of threads around the forum comparing the pros and cons of full-frame and the Nikon system, so I would also recommend that you take a look at those.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-01-2014, 04:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-3

I've never used the D610 but I hear the ergonomics and build quality are near identical to the D7100, and I've spent extensive time the D7100. I upgraded from the K-5 series to a K-3 and couldn't be happier. It's an upgrade to the K-5 in nearly every aspect including build quality and ergonomics.
IMO it makes little sense to upgrade to a camera that you don't like or enjoy using.

04-01-2014, 07:35 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I tried a D5200 for quite awhile (I have one at work), and I hate it. No really "valid" reasons, just thought the menus were useless and horrible. I could probably get used to it, but why? Didn't get a Nikon for that reason.
04-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your reply guys, i have bought K3 and it is going to arrive tomorrow. I am sure I will be happy with K3. Thanks again.
04-02-2014, 07:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Well, let us know how you like it either way! I got to try one the other day - it seemed like it only made my quality lenses better.

06-16-2014, 03:54 PM   #8

Original Poster
K3 Dropped

Hello,

I had a particular situation and thought worth sharing. Last night my wife accidently dropped my K3 from about 6 feet. It was in the camera bag and sigma 35mm f1.4 art series lens was attached to it. I checked the camera and lens and they seem to be OK, I also took few shots and everything seems to be normal. But I am still kind of little worried that something might have happened inside the lens or inside the camera body. Does anyone know the durability and impact resistance for K3? Thanks for your time in advance.

Utkarsh

06-16-2014, 04:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Does anyone know the durability and impact resistance for K3?
There are no real standards for that sort of thing for cameras that I am aware of that might apply to DSLR's.

Most Pentax DSLR bodies 's are pretty tough, with solid metal frames, steel skin etc, but they are precision instruments that are full of sensitive mechanical, optical and electronic components, so in general they should be classed as fragile. But if everything seems to work, things are probably all OK inside the body, particularly if the camera was protected by a camera bag (that's what they are designed to do) and the degree of shock was minor (like a 6ft drop onto carpet within a camera bag, as opposed to a 200ft drop onto concrete).

The component most sensitive to shock may be the lens. A fraction of a mm of misalignment in a lens element and you may have optical issues. But once again, if nothing seems amiss, everything is probably OK.

Modern cameras can take a lot of abuse and still work fine, as this YouTube video shows us:

Canon 7D - Hardcore Durability Test
06-16-2014, 05:27 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
There are no real standards for that sort of thing for cameras that I am aware of that might apply to DSLR's.

Most Pentax DSLR bodies 's are pretty tough, with solid metal frames, steel skin etc, but they are precision instruments that are full of sensitive mechanical, optical and electronic components, so in general they should be classed as fragile. But if everything seems to work, things are probably all OK inside the body, particularly if the camera was protected by a camera bag (that's what they are designed to do) and the degree of shock was minor (like a 6ft drop onto carpet within a camera bag, as opposed to a 200ft drop onto concrete).

The component most sensitive to shock may be the lens. A fraction of a mm of misalignment in a lens element and you may have optical issues. But once again, if nothing seems amiss, everything is probably OK.

Modern cameras can take a lot of abuse and still work fine, as this YouTube video shows us:

Canon 7D - Hardcore Durability Test
Hello,
Thanks for your reply.
Utkarsh
06-17-2014, 07:53 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K5 has been beaten up a bit - and one lens has been broken twice because of a couple of those impacts. The camera still operates perfectly. This isn't to say they're invulnerable, there are plenty of moving parts, but no discernable damage on my camera.
The DA55-300 has just been replaced by the WR version, an unplanned expense...
06-18-2014, 07:27 PM   #12

Original Poster
thanks a lot for your reply.....this gives some comfort.
06-18-2014, 07:28 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Thank you so much for your reply guys, i have bought K3 and it is going to arrive tomorrow. I am sure I will be happy with K3. Thanks again.
I believe you made the right choice. Congratulations.