Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Use Off Camera Flash Bracket With AF360 and K5

Hi,

I have a K5 (actually two of them) and was possibly interested in doing some off camera flash photography with my AF360 (wireless mode). I was looking at Flash/Umbrella Brackets which would attach with one of my light stands (5/8 inch stud). I noticed some plastic ones and I noticed a metal one which is offered for about 16 dollars from Cowboy Studio. It says in its description:

Made from metal
Fits on the top of most standard light stands or tripods
Holds any standard flash
Includes umbrella holder at the base of the mount
Easy to adjust the angle of the flash
ASIN: B0034WR71G

It is available on Amazon from South Bay Camera (California).

My question is whether this type of flash bracket would be sufficient or if one of you know of something inexpensive like this that is effective. I would most likely be using it occasionally, not an everyday thing. I know the Manfrotto 026 is mentioned as a good trusty tool, but it is more expensive and in some cases doesn't include the flash mount for the top of the bracket which is approximately another 10 dollars. I would appreciate any advice or knowledge of inexpensive, effective examples of what would be wise for me to do.

Thanks

04-09-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

its cheap looking and cheap feeling, but it'll get the job done. That said, 10 bucks more for peace of mind is pretty cheap IMO
04-10-2014, 05:53 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Hi,

I have a K5 (actually two of them) and was possibly interested in doing some off camera flash photography with my AF360 (wireless mode). I was looking at Flash/Umbrella Brackets which would attach with one of my light stands (5/8 inch stud). I noticed some plastic ones and I noticed a metal one which is offered for about 16 dollars from Cowboy Studio. It says in its description:

Made from metal
Holds any standard flash

My question is whether this type of flash bracket would be sufficient or if one of you know of something inexpensive like this that is effective. I would most likely be using it occasionally, not an everyday thing. I know the Manfrotto 026 is mentioned as a good trusty tool, but it is more expensive and in some cases doesn't include the flash mount for the top of the bracket which is approximately another 10 dollars. I would appreciate any advice or knowledge of inexpensive, effective examples of what would be wise for me to do.

Thanks

For $16.55 including shipping, it's a bargain. It looks fine and compares to cheap nylon brackets that I bought years ago, including price wise. IMHO, go for it.
04-10-2014, 11:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Off Camera Flash Bracket

Thank you Calico.

Casey

---------- Post added 04-10-14 at 02:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by adpo Quote
its cheap looking and cheap feeling, but it'll get the job done. That said, 10 bucks more for peace of mind is pretty cheap IMO

Thank you to Adpo also.

Last edited by C_Jones; 04-10-2014 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Correction
04-10-2014, 02:46 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Hi,

Made from metal
Holds any standard flash

Thanks
Yo, C_Jones... I've got an OLD Vivitar Camera/Flash bracket that I've used for a long time. My son now lays claim to it so, I did a quick search in hopes of finding another. I contacted Vivitar as well and they don't have a Raiders of the Lost Ark storeroom full of them so, eBay is about the only avenue if you want one. You have to connect to your camera via a hotshoe attachment or, your X-sync plug but, once your hand is in that grip, your camera ain't goin' anywhere. True, it doesn't hang up over your head but, it also doesn't look like a jerry-rigged, convoluted mass of angle iron either. See attached:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 10D  Photo 
04-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a couple of these Amazon.com: Fotodiox Elite Flash Umbrella Bracket with Swivel/Tilt Head, Mountable to Light stand and Tripod, for Canon Flash Speedlite 600EX-RT, 580EX, 580EX II, 430EX, 430EX II, 380EX, 270EX, 270EX ii, 540EX, 550EX, 300TL: Electronics

Also made of metal and a little simpler in design, Ok for light use.
04-11-2014, 11:16 AM   #7
Forum Member

C_Jones... hey, sorry... I misread your need for the bracket. I was thinking "just off camera" and you're needing it to be tripod mounted. Regardless, the Vivitar is still a great addition should you ever need something like that.
04-11-2014, 03:15 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Crewl1, I was curious about that one.

---------- Post added 04-11-14 at 06:17 PM ----------

Thanks SlamDesiAK, If I need something like that, I may look into it.