Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2014, 12:11 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Power Bank for K5?

Hi, i am looking for an external high capacity battery to charge my cell phone and tablet while out camping. But i would also like to find a way to connect that power bank to my K5 wen shooting astrophotographs with the O-GPS.
I found this product on Amazon but a not sure if its a false advertisement: Amazon.com: LB1 High Performance New 16000mAh High Capacity Portable Extended Life Notebook Laptop Computer PC Tablet Smartphone Power Bank Backup Charger for Pentax K-5 Digital Camera Longer Life External Battery Pack Multi-Voltage 5V|12V|16V|19V: E
Any thoughts on that or other similar solutions?

Thanks

Marek

04-11-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably would go with the ac adapter and use a converter off your car battery.
http://www.bestbatt.com/mobile/product.aspx?ProductCode=bbdac50
Are you hiking in to remote areas away from the car?
04-11-2014, 12:37 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Probably would go with the ac adapter and use a converter off your car battery.
D-AC50 Power Adapter for Pentax K10D, K20D, K-7, K-5, and 645D Cameras - BestBatt.com
Are you hiking in to remote areas away from the car?
Yes i would be far away from a car :-( I currenty do not have one anyway and would use public transportation. I have thought of getting a 3rd party battery grip and chargng AA´s with the powerbank, but i would prefer to travel wthout so much accesories.
04-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can recommend these guys:
Gorilla Gadgets | Designed and engineered in California
Lots of power banks available.

I use the extended battery in my GS3, too. Makes it heavy, but lasts a long time. Buy a pair, so you have one to swap...

---------- Post added 04-11-14 at 02:59 PM ----------

I know there's a thread with a guy who has batteries for his camera and one for a lens hood heater (eliminate dew on timelapse overnight).
It's probably in one of the astrophotography threads, I really need to subscribe so I remember where that is...

04-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'd get this battery grip (exact replica of Pentax original - you can even trade the battery trays between them (I have one original and one of these)): Battery Grip For Pentax K7 K-7 DSRL D-BG4 - Newegg.com

Then get extra batteries - eneloop, energizer Ultimate Lithiums, or more K-5 batteries. Cheap (relatively) and easy.

For external batteries I use Anker from Amazon. If you need to go bigger, like to power a notebook or give an iPad a full charge, this guy is good (he's been doing it for years, he's into it, he has some of his own designs made for him in Asia, and he'll get you or make the right connectors if possible. He's local so I've talked to him in person. Seems expensive until you realize how much capacity they really have - then you see it's worth it.): External Battery Pack for Apple MacBooks and iPad/iPhone -MAC90

You can buy from Bixnet directly, and if you call, the owner (tech guy) often answers. You can also buy from them on Amazon. He may have ideas for all of your external power needs, if you just tell him what your devices are.
04-11-2014, 01:33 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I can recommend these guys:
Gorilla Gadgets | Designed and engineered in California
Lots of power banks available.

I use the extended battery in my GS3, too. Makes it heavy, but lasts a long time. Buy a pair, so you have one to swap...

---------- Post added 04-11-14 at 02:59 PM ----------

I know there's a thread with a guy who has batteries for his camera and one for a lens hood heater (eliminate dew on timelapse overnight).
It's probably in one of the astrophotography threads, I really need to subscribe so I remember where that is...
Thanks for the tip

---------- Post added 04-11-2014 at 04:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I'd get this battery grip (exact replica of Pentax original - you can even trade the battery trays between them (I have one original and one of these)): Battery Grip For Pentax K7 K-7 DSRL D-BG4 - Newegg.com

Then get extra batteries - eneloop, energizer Ultimate Lithiums, or more K-5 batteries. Cheap (relatively) and easy.

For external batteries I use Anker from Amazon. If you need to go bigger, like to power a notebook or give an iPad a full charge, this guy is good (he's been doing it for years, he's into it, he has some of his own designs made for him in Asia, and he'll get you or make the right connectors if possible. He's local so I've talked to him in person. Seems expensive until you realize how much capacity they really have - then you see it's worth it.): External Battery Pack for Apple MacBooks and iPad/iPhone -MAC90

You can buy from Bixnet directly, and if you call, the owner (tech guy) often answers. You can also buy from them on Amazon. He may have ideas for all of your external power needs, if you just tell him what your devices are.
Thanks, i think this would be the best solution, i think will contact them.