Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
Forum Member

KEH K-5 Purchase

I figured I would put this out there for anyone considering buying used. (If this is not the correct thread please move as I didn't find one more appropriate)

So I just purchased a K-5 from KEH.

Condition was listed as EX which on their site states: "Excellent" 80-89% of original condition. Shows moderate wear for the age of the item. May have small dents and/or dings and slight finish wear. Glass may have slight marks, dust, anomalies and/or blemishes that will not affect picture quality.*

Well my moderate wear appears to be some tiny scratches/indention's on the base. I had to pull out my magnifier reading glasses to spot them though. And possibly someone has unscrewed the base as there some wearing around the holes.

Shutter count is 19389 per shuttercounter.com

I figured I would put that out there for those interested. I had not seen anyone post shutter counts of the cameras they have purchased from B&H, Adorama, or KEH.

04-11-2014, 03:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
sounds about right. however sometimes keh can be pretty conservative with their ratings. i have never bought a camera there however with respect to their lenses i have bought EX glass which in my opinion was plain mint.
04-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I bought a DA 21 mm Limited from KEH in LN- condition. I could never tell it apart from a brand new lens. I have no experience with used camera bodies from KEH but their EX+ and LN- lenses are likely indistinguishable from new.
04-11-2014, 06:12 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
I figured I would put this out there for anyone considering buying used. (If this is not the correct thread please move as I didn't find one more appropriate)

So I just purchased a K-5 from KEH.

Condition was listed as EX which on their site states: "Excellent" 80-89% of original condition. Shows moderate wear for the age of the item. May have small dents and/or dings and slight finish wear. Glass may have slight marks, dust, anomalies and/or blemishes that will not affect picture quality.*

Well my moderate wear appears to be some tiny scratches/indention's on the base. I had to pull out my magnifier reading glasses to spot them though. And possibly someone has unscrewed the base as there some wearing around the holes.

Shutter count is 19389 per shuttercounter.com

I figured I would put that out there for those interested. I had not seen anyone post shutter counts of the cameras they have purchased from B&H, Adorama, or KEH.
Yes, Key is known for very conservative rating of their equipment. You can even buy BGN with no real concerns about condition. I respect this company, and always buy from them when I can.

04-11-2014, 06:57 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I had actually planned on buying from Adorama as they had the same camera and in similar condition for $50 less. But the reputation KEH has for their conservative grades got me to instead go with them instead. But I expect my next lens will be with Adorama since the collection @ KEH is pretty sparse.
04-12-2014, 04:57 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I have bought used from KEH with similar results. I have also bought used from Adorama and find that their descriptions are accurate. I've never had a problem with them and I've been doing business with them a very long time.

YAYYYYY! This was my 1000th post on this forum.
04-12-2014, 05:35 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Good Deal!

Hello SirTomster, welcome to the Forum and your K-5!
KEH has a great reputation here and it sounds like you did well. The K-5 isn't the newest, but it's a fine, capable APS-C DSLR to this day.
Now, buddy, you need lenses! Do you have the kit zoom? Buying new?
Don't get me started, but in addition to KEH, Adorama, B+H...the Marketplace here is definitely worth your time, at least to window-shop. Plus, the members know the value of Pentax gear, you won't see the wildly over (and occasionally, under)-priced quotes.
Also, learning the M42, K, M, A, F, FA, DA lens codes (Lens Series) will help you compare value with function. As a new DA lens will have and support all the latest functions, an M-series lens? None. Fully manual, with some focus-confirmation signals available. Many levels of function-capability in between, and usually, priced accordingly.
I didn't see any lenses listed on your profile, hopefully this will help you find some. eBay's OK, but more of a risk than the camera-specific forums/stores.
Good Luck!
@calicojack- Congratulations! A grand, that's a true milestone.
Ron
04-13-2014, 01:17 PM   #8
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote

...... I had not seen anyone post shutter counts of the cameras they have purchased from B&H, Adorama, or KEH.
Whenever possible we will provide shutter counts - you only need drop me an email: Helen@adorama.com

However, cameras from Adorama are not graded according to shuttter counts!

I can also have a rep call you up and describe a unit in detail. If, however, you place an order and are disatisfied in any way, you do have a 30 day returns period for exchange or refund, and most units come with a 6-month warranty

Last edited by Helen Oster; 04-13-2014 at 01:53 PM.
04-13-2014, 01:25 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're not helping me resist a lens I'm trying not to buy, justified by its condition, which is "only EX."

Incidentally, has anyone called KEH to request details before purchasing anything? Along those lines, has anyone returned anything? I've purchased several things, and sold a few others with only positive experience.
04-13-2014, 01:55 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
Whenever possible we will provide shutter counts - you only need drop me an email: Helen@adorama.com

However, cameras from Adorama are not graded according to shuttter counts!
I really should of emailed both companies to find that out before purchasing it. But I was in a crunch. After attending a Photography Meetup earlier in the week that really got my interest soaring plus the Blood Moon is on Monday Night and the fact I am going to the Salt Lake Comic Con at the end of this week I just went for it. I wanted the camera before the weekend so I had more time to play so off I went. I had already decided on a K5 so it was just a matter of finding one.

I have a K5 and a kit 18-55 to get me started. I did not get the WR version because I really considered this my starter lens for me to get used to the camera before I start buying real glass.

Now I plan on saving up for an SMCP-DA 18-135 3.5/5.6 Al IF WR to be my real Jack of all Trades lens.

And possibly then the Rokinon 14mm Ultra Wide-Angle f/2.8 IF ED UMC after that to do a lot of night shots to do some Nightscapes. This guy (500px / Royce's NightScapes) lives here in Utah and I went to a lecture he did last week that really got me wanting a real camera to do stuff like that.

@rbefly thanks for the welcome.
04-30-2014, 05:10 AM   #11

I can certainly agree with the great reputation KEH has earned. I've sold a Nikon set (D200, flash, couple lens) to them and their online estimate is exactly what they paid me when I sent it to them. That bought me my K-5 in EX condition and it looked brand new. Grear customer service when you call and very conservative on their ratings. I have yet to buy a BGN or UG lens but sometimes when they are listed for $5 it's hard not to.
04-30-2014, 08:42 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Along those lines, has anyone returned anything?
I had to return a LN DA 17-70 about a month ago. The lens was incapable of reporting the correct focal length, which rendered AF and SR as largely useless. They sent me back another LN version of the 17-70, paying for shipping both ways. The replacement lens works fine.
05-01-2014, 07:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

KEH is a pretty good source for used equipent as are many other sources. I have found great deals even on Ebay as well.
I picked up a DA15 from a private seller on Ebay that was also flawless and can't take it off my K-5 now...

My K-5 from KEH in LN condition arrived flawless with only 108 clicks on the shutter.
I also purchase a wonderful K200D from KEH that also arrived flawless with only 3900 clicks on the shutter. It has the old discontinued CCD sensor which produces some really nice photos.

The good thing about KEH is that their service is top notch. I did have to return a couple of lenses and a camera back to them. It was a fast turnaround and they solved the problem.
05-02-2014, 01:06 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
You're not helping me resist a lens I'm trying not to buy, justified by its condition, which is "only EX."

Incidentally, has anyone called KEH to request details before purchasing anything? Along those lines, has anyone returned anything? I've purchased several things, and sold a few others with only positive experience.
Resistance is futile!
05-06-2014, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

KEH is very good with their 6 month warranty. I returned a Nikon D200 I bought for my daughter to them after it died about 4 months later. They notified me that they couldn't repair it and offered to either replace it or give me a refund. I replaced it and my daughter is happily still using the newer one almost 3 years later. They are a top notch source for used gear.