Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2014, 06:50 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
My K-5 has been stolen, looking for thoughts on replacement

As I said, my K-5 has been stolen with little likelihood of recovery. I'm torn between purchasing the K-5 IIs or a K-3. Aside from the obvious price difference and pixel count, there don't seem to be a lot of arguments to buy anything more than the k-5 IIs. Can anyone convince me one way or the other?

04-15-2014, 06:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seriously, read the reviews on both. There are so many improvements on the k-3 over the k5iis I think it's a no brainer. JMHO
04-15-2014, 07:02 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have both the K-5IIs and the K-3. I'm slogging through the learning curve with the K-3--it feels pretty specialized--like, if you've got (or can rig) good light and want to print large. I'm much more comfortable with the IIs and it's giving me really nice photos for web-posting and prints up to 8x10".
04-15-2014, 07:04 AM   #4
Site Supporter

If you can still get the K5IIs, and you want to save on cost, then that is the one for you, but if the K3 appeals to you more then the K3 it is.

04-15-2014, 07:17 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gabeH Quote
As I said, my K-5 has been stolen with little likelihood of recovery. I'm torn between purchasing the K-5 IIs or a K-3. Aside from the obvious price difference and pixel count, there don't seem to be a lot of arguments to buy anything more than the k-5 IIs. Can anyone convince me one way or the other?
If a major part of your photography includes sports or wild birds, the K-3 has smaller autofocus points and other improvements that affect locking on the desired subject and tracking it. The K-3 also has a faster motor screw-type autofocus.
04-15-2014, 07:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian

If you want to take photos of sports, birds, or other moving things the K-3 autofocus is superior. You'll also get more resolution for landscapes. Consider whether added features like dual card slots, wireless flucard, focus peaking, etc. will help you. The K-5iis is still a good camera, though, and will save money compared to the K-3.

Think about your experience with the K-5. Did you feel at all limited by the camera? Then check to see if the K-3 does anything to help in those areas.
04-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #7

First, I'm comparing from a K30.

The light-meter is a lot better, especially when dealing with reds.

This is more about, your workflow:
LCD display. On K30 everything look great, which made it that much harder for me to
differentiate between good and bad shots.

K30 you look at the JPG and then start working with the DNG, and you kinda work towards
the JPG as a reference point.

K3 LCD: bad shots look terrible, and good shots look decent, and great shots look good.
From a creative standpoint; I prefer NOT having a preconception on which way to develop
the DNG.

The extra resolution, it makes PP that much easier. However, it punishes poor technique more,
and you cannot shoot at problematic shudder speeds consistently. It's more sensitive.

If you're used to the Pentax colors, K3 has it, BUT they're dialed down and more neutral.
You can get the look back easily, and it seem to make the RAW files more malleable.

I got good answers here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/243797-buy-k3-k5-iis.html

IF you decide to get a K3 make sure to get the best insurance/warranty you can. I've
a 4 year "whatever happens" insurance. There are issues with the K3 still not resolved.
04-15-2014, 09:30 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Much better metering, much smaller focus point, better AF (tracking and in low light condition) and just generally snappier are probably the biggest Pro for me coming from K5. The only thing K5IIs really have over K5 is better low light/tungsten light focus from this short list. To me, K3 was a no brainer since it costed < 1k after selling the extras from the B&H bundle.

04-15-2014, 11:11 AM   #9
Pentaxian

K-5IIs from K-5 is a logical and affordable upgrade. Everything handles and works the same as the K-5, except better (AF mainly).

K-3 is in many ways a jump up from the K-5IIs, but how much of an improvement depends on what you shoot. As others have mentioned, action shooting with the K-3 is likely better than the K-5II, landscape and portraits too. But low-light and general shooting - they would be about the same, all things considered (ie viewing or printing at the same size).

Downsides of the K-3 include (for me) some ergonomic quirks like the revised control layout, especially the removal of the AE metering control dial, the changes to the way AF mode selection works, and the changed logic of the INFO button. And of course the larger files. Higher fps plus larger files can really eat up HDD and SDcard space, and big files can strain the computer too when doing PP.
04-15-2014, 02:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_hi_5/191-7994319-3500037?rh=n%3A172282%2Cn%3A...qid=1397596471

I would pick the K-5 II so fast... However would not shy away from cheaper 16mp cameras - literally the same sensor. Literally! Minus the additional features.

Having said that, K-3 has a mirror flop thread running - I am yet to find a consistent known issue on my K-5 II :P (Sorry don't wanna start a new flaming war - Just saying a thread does exist).

Cheers!
04-15-2014, 03:29 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
As others have mentioned, action shooting with the K-3 is likely better than the K-5II
Actually, I have not found that to be true. I'm not sure why, though--I'm proceeding on the assumption that I need to refine my technique.
04-15-2014, 03:53 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Sorry for your loss. Hope you didn't lose other stuff.

I upgraded from a K-5 to a K-5 II, rather than waiting several months for the K-3 to appear on the market. I did have a budget ceiling at the time, and the K-5 II fit nicely. My main reasons for changing the K-5 included improved autofocus and the lower-light capability. Also, I was thinking that some of the niggling problems, such as the lens-release button failure, would have been corrected on the new model. I have been very happy with the K-5 II, have not experienced any problems, and don't feel that I am missing much without a K-3.

- Craig
04-15-2014, 05:13 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've got a K-5IIs that I've shot with pretty intensively for a year, and rented a K-3 for a week to compare. I'm holding off on buying the K-3 until the price drops quite a bit.

The K-3 autofocus is improved, but it's still not great. If you really want to shoot flying birds, go Canon or Nikon. Image quality is theoretically improved with higher resolution, but I make 20x30 prints and can see no difference. Both are fine cameras, but one costs nearly twice as much.
04-15-2014, 08:06 PM   #14

Original Poster
Wow, great feedback. Seems I will have to think hard about what to do. Someone asked what else was taken; Tamron 28-75 mm f2.8. Really a great lens. I'll drop a note to the thread when I pony up.