Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2014, 03:22 PM   #1

K-5 presumed dead, water damage...

My K-5 got really, really wet today with the 18-55WR on and now neither half of the buttons nor the screen respond. It's probably dead and I don't have the money now to buy a replacement DSLR, not even second hand

I put it in a container filled with rice, put some silica packets in the battery compartment and in the mirror housing, but since it was still switched on after the damage was done I don't hold high hopes for it. I really loved that camera, did everything I asked from it and then some. Don't really know what to do now.

Sorry guys, just had to get this off my chest.

04-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Let it dry for a day or two. My k-x fritzed out in a hurricane, and it wouldnt turn on for almost two days. After two days in my rice bag, it turned on again and has been running since (soon to be a year).
04-17-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe worth opening the casing?
04-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #4

Original Poster
By the way the lens is probably even more dead. You can actually see a drop of water halfway inside. I'm disappointed in the weather sealing. Nor that bummed out about the lens thouh, hardly ever used it. The camera is a different story.

Hope it comes back to life in a few days...

04-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am sorry by your problem.

If you have not done already, I may suggest the following:

-Open the camera.

-Take off the battery and card - Leave the door open

-Take off the lens

-Place the camera in a warm and dry place - For example, you can place it outdoor (cover the camera with a thin tissue to prevent dirt coming inside) - Sometimes I place the camera in the full sun for 3-4 h

-Repeat the process for 24 h to 48 h - Do the same with the battery, card and lens

-Once you are sure the all components are dry (and the battery is fully charged), insert the cart and battery. Then restart

I did the above with 3 different cameras and I was able to get them back to work. In one case, it took nearly 3 weeks of drying for the camera to be completely dry and working again.

NB: It is critical to dry completely the camera to prevent any risk of corrosion, before re-using it.

Hope that it will work for you.

Last edited by hcc; 04-17-2014 at 08:12 PM.
04-17-2014, 11:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

I'm not sure how old your camera is, but It should be noted that weather sealing doesn't last for ever and they do deteriorate over time. Even the manufacturer's of high-end water resistant wristwatches guarantee the seals for one year only and advise you to have the watch checked before swimming or diving.
04-18-2014, 12:27 AM   #7

I left my K-5 taking a overnight timelapse when the wind blew it over into a lake (I had several liters of water weighing down the tripod, but it wasn't enough). When I found out later, it had been about 25% submerged for nearly an hour (the grip and battery compartment were soaked). It stopped working but I found out a few days later that I could turn it on by inserting the battery when the camera was switched on (it would not turn on any other way). I was able to use it like that with a broken intervalometer the only other side effect. Several months later, it started functioning normally again. If I had done what other here have suggested, it probably would have recovered sooner.

I hope yours recovers too. Keep checking it, even if it looks hopeless.

04-18-2014, 12:28 AM   #8
Forum Member

On some bodies (K10D, from what I heard from the rep) seals are part of the body shell construction. They're not replaceable without spending nearly as much as it would be to buy another whole new camera like a K30/50.
Some parts of a camera body or lens can be sealed very well, other areas are very poorly sealed. It would be nice to have a section in the user manual showing where these weak areas are.
FWIW, I think the weather-sealing consideration does not meet everyones' weather-sealing expectations. My pristine k10 certainly showed me how quickly it leaks while out in a moderate rain for only 2 or 3 minutes. Seems the hot-shoe and flash areas are likely weak/leak zones. A cheap K-30 will be the next to get damp weather duty but I'll still put a bag over it.
04-18-2014, 01:20 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
My K5 revived after more than a week staying in a dry container filled with as much silica gel as I can get. Patience and hope for the best...
04-18-2014, 11:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lauke_101 Quote
Sorry to hear and follow HCC for word by word and your camera can be revived. JUST DONT PLUG THE BATTERY IN YET.

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I am sorry by your problem. If you have not done already, I may suggest the following: -Open the camera. -Take off the battery and card - Leave the door open -Take off the lens -Place the camera in a warm and dry place - For example, you can place it outdoor (cover the camera with a thin tissue to prevent dirt coming inside) - Sometimes I place the camera in the full sun for 3-4 h -Repeat the process for 24 h to 48 h - Do the same with the battery, card and lens -Once you are sure the all components are dry (and the battery is fully charged), insert the cart and battery. Then restart I did the above with 3 different cameras and I was able to get them back to work. In one case, it took nearly 3 weeks of drying for the camera to be completely dry and working again. NB: It is critical to dry completely the camera to prevent any risk of corrosion, before re-using it. Hope that it will work for you.
04-22-2014, 11:17 AM   #11

Original Poster
Took the plunge today (pun intended) and put in the battery, as I hadn't seen any new rice getting moist any more for 24 hrs. It's back from the dead! Everything works as it should, pictures look normal. There's just a bit of dust somewhere in the viewfinder or on the focusing screen, but not even enough to warrant a CLA if you ask me.

I'll be keeping it on the rice until I need it again, just to be sure. Oh I'm so happy I don't have to buy a new body!
04-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Took the plunge today (pun intended) and put in the battery, as I hadn't seen any new rice getting moist any more for 24 hrs. It's back from the dead! Everything works as it should, pictures look normal. There's just a bit of dust somewhere in the viewfinder or on the focusing screen, but not even enough to warrant a CLA if you ask me.

I'll be keeping it on the rice until I need it again, just to be sure. Oh I'm so happy I don't have to buy a new body!
Congratulation! Great news.
04-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Pentax cams are pretty tough
Or maybe they are just zombies.
04-22-2014, 10:25 PM   #14

Original Poster
It's funny it resurrected just after Easter :P
04-23-2014, 04:53 AM   #15

My K-5 got really, really wet today with the 18-55WR on and now neither half of the buttons nor the screen respond. It's probably dead and I don't have the money now to buy a replacement DSLR, not even second hand

I put it in a container filled with rice, put some silica packets in the battery compartment and in the mirror housing, but since it was still switched on after the damage was done I don't hold high hopes for it. I really loved that camera, did everything I asked from it and then some. Don't really know what to do now.

After rolling my kayak over with two cameras and two lenses, I placed all the equipment in a drying box with a heater (literally just a plastic crate layered with moisture-absorbing padding). I left the heater running on medium heat and just left it alone for about 30h. When I opened it up, all the water had evaporated from the cameras and lenses. Sadly, my K-5 had some ports opened when I rolled, so it got properly flushed and was completely dead, but the two lenses were saved, as was the K20D.

Remember that the kit WR lenses are meant to protect against anything up to heavy rainfall. You said that your kit got really REALLY wet, so you may have exceeded its sealing ability. There should be no water pooling in any of the joints... If you are often faced with such harsh conditions, you may want to invest in a lens that has a higher level of sealing (DA* or top-tier DA-WR).