Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2014, 07:59 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bye bye, K-5!

It's easter. The sun is blinding. Actually, this is the first sunny day off in weeks, and the gannets are flying close to the coast, in the sunshine, with a background of breaking waves.

All the same to me. I just dropped my K-5 with my DA* 300mm mounted on the tarmac.

I think I broke some contacts, at the very least. The mount ring had come loose, and I tightened the screws and said a little prayer before remounting the lens, but the camera does not register any lens mounted. So I can't take a test shot to see what else I broke - but at least the lens looks optically undamaged.

So I am ordering my K-3 today. Unhappily. I looked so much forward to getting it - May was my target month - but now there is no joy in buying it. I can't afford it either, but I can't go without a camera for long either.

Bye, then, K-5. Best camera I ever had.

04-18-2014, 08:13 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh man, that sucks.
04-18-2014, 08:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
It's easter. The sun is blinding. Actually, this is the first sunny day off in weeks, and the gannets are flying close to the coast, in the sunshine, with a background of breaking waves.

All the same to me. I just dropped my K-5 with my DA* 300mm mounted on the tarmac.

I think I broke some contacts, at the very least. The mount ring had come loose, and I tightened the screws and said a little prayer before remounting the lens, but the camera does not register any lens mounted. So I can't take a test shot to see what else I broke - but at least the lens looks optically undamaged.

So I am ordering my K-3 today. Unhappily. I looked so much forward to getting it - May was my target month - but now there is no joy in buying it. I can't afford it either, but I can't go without a camera for long either.

Maybe you can see it for parts to help pay for the K-3, just a thought !
04-18-2014, 08:21 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Almost like losing part of your soul.
I know what you mean by not being able to go without a camera - I feel naked when I'm outside without my K-5.
Best of luck with the K-3.

Ps - this is why we need Smart Surfaces that adjust their hardness (or whatever!) when they sense the weight of whatever hits their surface. Any enterprising engineers out there with a lot of time and money on their hands?

04-18-2014, 08:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My condolences on your loss. I hope your 300 is okay. In any case, enjoy your new K-3. Just a small learning curve.

Last edited by wtlwdwgn; 04-18-2014 at 09:03 AM.
04-18-2014, 08:58 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I
Just curious why the neck strap was not used? It has saved me several times.
04-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

So Sorry Mette, det kan få en voksen man til at grade.
Hope you have a good insurance to help shoulder some of the loss.

04-18-2014, 09:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I can imagine, I was told to sell my K-5 when I got my K-3 but I still have it. It's a hard camera to let go of. I like the larger image size of a K-3, but for most purposes, my K-5 is just as good. I still throw a short lens on it and bring it with me, when I have a long lens on the K-3.
04-18-2014, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
Just curious why the neck strap was not used? It has saved me several times.
tomwil, the reason I did not use the neck strap is the same reason I broke the camera in the first case: Because I am just not very smart, or very good at taking care of things. I brought the camera while I walked my daughter to sleep in the pram, and I put it down on the pram while I tucked her in. And then it just slipped off. I just want to kick myself.

I have mis-handled my favorite equipment before, but thanks to the great build quality of Pentax it has survived things that it should not have survived by any reasonable expectations. I guess I just ran out of luck today.

And, normhead, that was my plan exactly. Then I wanted to mount my 300mm on the K-3 and my 55-135mm on my K-5 and be ready for almost any situation.

I have a small silly hope that my insurance company will be merciful. They have surprised me in the past. But I know I don't deserve it...

Thanks for all your kind comments! They are a lot of comfort actually.
04-18-2014, 10:17 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I have had a K1000, a K20D, and now have two K5s. With respect to the K1000 and K20D, I also agree that the K5 is the best camera I have had. I hope you enjoy your K-3, and best of luck.
04-19-2014, 07:35 AM   #11

Photos: Albums
If you were so happy with the K5 and find the price of a K3 high, why don't you just buy a K5II(s)?
BEst APSC deal right now !
04-19-2014, 08:37 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can always send the K5 in to get fixed. My guess is you broke something, but not everything. Probably just need the contacts in the mount re-soldered or something simple.
04-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #13

Oh man that sucks. I know exactly how you feel, my K-5 took a dunk in a water tank last Thursday and I don't think it survived that. Still drying it so not sure yet.

I don't have the money for a new body so I'll be getting to know my ME Super pretty well this year I guess. I miss my K-5 already, that camera never ever let me down. Everything about it's design was just right.
04-19-2014, 10:32 AM   #14
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, that just sucks. I would be pretty upset if something happened to my K-5. Hopefully that K-3 will help you get over it.

And best of luck with bringing your K-5 back to life Lauke.
04-21-2014, 12:11 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look for sling straps, they're a lot more secure than a neck strap over your shoulder and more comfortable. I like the type which has a mount that slides along the loop.