Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use of Shadow Correction On Low

Hi,

I sort of doubt that I am going to use it, but am curious about the use of Shadow Correction on the Low or Medium setting if I am shooting JPEG and RAW. I presently use the Highlight Correction and I have found it valuable. I suppose with testing I would find out, but I am sort of curious about a second opinion. I suppose a Low setting might help in some situations, but I am not sure if the Medium or High settings would do too much. I now use TAV mode and naturally look for a good ISO after I have made my other settings, but I am curious as to if the Highlight Correction might help without taking away the value of the overall image. I really have done very well most of the time without the Shadow Correction, but as I mentioned I am just looking for some opinions, especially about the Low or Medium settings if you possibly have some. I am using a K-5 and a Sigma 150-500 lens.

Thank you.

Last edited by C_Jones; 04-18-2014 at 10:57 AM. Reason: punctuation
04-18-2014, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I keep it set lower (on low, IIRC) with HL correction off. At least this is what I liked.
04-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I keep it set lower (on low, IIRC) with HL correction off. At least this is what I liked.
DSims,

If it is what you like, I suppose it seems to bring out some of the image features in an effective way using the Low setting. I may possibly test it for some samples sometime. I am curious if it would effect the ISO that registers when I am using TAV. If at all, I would probably use it (Shadow Correction) on the Low setting if I am using the Highlight Correction also. Otherwise, I could just test them all (Low, Medium, and High) if I want to find out how they actually effect images.

Thanks.
04-18-2014, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I suggest you use shadow correction according to the scene. The higher the contrast the more shadow correction.

Shadow correction brightens the dark parts of the scene.
The high/low key slider in the custom image settings brightens or darkens the midtones.
The contrast slider controls the steepness of the S-curve.
All three settings can be used in concert to control the final image.

Regards,
--Anders.

04-18-2014, 02:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Anders,

Thanks for pointing out those different aspects. As I mentioned, I may test with the different levels of shadow correction and see what they do (learn them). I have not used the high/low key slider or contrast slider yet. As you said, the use of the tools effectively is according to the scene factors. I have been shooting birds and they sometimes move from one area to the next with quickly differing light, so I may try the Low setting of the Shadow Correction and the Highlight Correction (both on) simultaneously as a general test. If I need the slider controls, I may also try them.

Thanks,

Casey
04-18-2014, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
DSims,

If it is what you like, I suppose it seems to bring out some of the image features in an effective way using the Low setting. I may possibly test it for some samples sometime. I am curious if it would effect the ISO that registers when I am using TAV. If at all, I would probably use it (Shadow Correction) on the Low setting if I am using the Highlight Correction also. Otherwise, I could just test them all (Low, Medium, and High) if I want to find out how they actually effect images.

Thanks.
It was just my overall preference. I tested all possibilities and chose. I PP if I really care, but it works fine for those times when I don't need to (or it's impractical).
04-18-2014, 03:37 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That sounds like what I will do is test for different situations if I need to. Thanks again for your help.

Casey