Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2014, 05:29 AM   #16

I failed to reach Mario in Croatia, alas

Any ideas where to get the replacement kit?
Any shop with worldwide delivery will do.

Did any of you perform the repair by your own?
I really doubt that there's any heavy magic about it, just screw/unscrew operations.

I would appreciate your experience.

Konstantin

07-08-2014, 04:34 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
My lens release button came off yesterday. I didn't lose it but can not reattach and won't stay on. Really annoying. Doesn't look like anything is broken, not sure how to fix it.
Anyone here with successful repair?
07-08-2014, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's no screwing or unscrewing with the replacement. It's glue and pressure. There are instructions in the forum if you dig for them.

It involved putting a circlip over the hole and gluing a rubber cone to the button, and more glue on the bottom of the cone, then pressing the button hard enough to force the circlip through the hole, and not using it til the glue dries. And if you're smart, covering the button with a piece of electrical tape so you don't lose the button if it happens again.
07-09-2014, 01:10 PM   #19

I bought my K5 in May of 2011 and I baby it. I was stunned to find the button gone two weekends ago. Since I did not have a second lens until just under 2 years ago, I estimate I changed lenses approximate 50 times or less over the years.

An email to Ricoh Canada brought the reply that I should send the body to them for an estimate that I could accept or reject. I mentioned that, as I found on the web, Pentax and/or CSR in the US had simply sent some users the replacement kit; others did not get it. I asked to buy the kit and that I felt comfortable installing it, well out of warranty, as I had spent 30 years working on delicate mechanisms in slide and film projectors. Apparently not an option. I expect my costs from Ricoh Canada to be around $150 to fix a poorly designed plastic button on a body that I can now buy new for ~$600.00. I have to say that this customer dis-service has soured me on Pentax/Ricoh. My faith in the quality/cost ratio is shaken. I will stay with Pentax, I expect, but I am no longer a devout Pentaxian.

Now to your question. I don't have an answer as to whether you should consider one now; mos tother respondents have given a positive take on it. I asked Ricoh Canada in my email if the problem has been fixed, as in, will this happen again? That question was not answered and I cannot see paying about $150 a second time, should it happen a second time; there would be no opportunity for a third time.

I should mention that I have contacted an independent American camera repair business and hope they will procure and sell the part to a relative in the US. If that works out I'll order two.

07-09-2014, 03:26 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekmadge Quote
I asked to buy the kit and that I felt comfortable installing it, well out of warranty, as I had spent 30 years working on delicate mechanisms in slide and film projectors. Apparently not an option.
That's very unfortunate.

I don't understand how companies risk to lose customers over such silly things.

Surprised to hear that Pentax Canada is not cooperating better; usually one hears very good things about Pentax Canda.

QuoteOriginally posted by derekmadge Quote
I should mention that I have contacted an independent American camera repair business and hope they will procure and sell the part to a relative in the US.
I hope this will work out for you.
07-16-2014, 11:17 AM   #21
Forum Member

I have my button and the code thing inside. I am wondering if I can just use super glue and attach it back. inspecting both the button/cone as well as the place where it goes in camera, I don't see any damage.
07-22-2014, 05:09 AM   #22

I would not risk just to glue the button inside.
I found the evidence sad experience of glueing on the forum of Pentax enthusiasts in Russia.
The guy used the super glue and left the camera till morning - in the morning the button revealed to be immovable at all.

07-22-2014, 06:45 AM   #23
Forum Member

thanks @intense. But I already went ahead and tried using super glue with existing button and the rubber cone. I used very less, tiny amount just to cover the button end and rubber cone. I left it untouched overnight and now its like original I changed lens at least 10-15 times after that and no issues.
07-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The rubber cone is supposed to help keep water out, not hold the button on. If you didn't have the circlip to keep the button inside, its only being held on by that frail rubber (which turned hard and easy-to-tear once the superglue dried on it). You might want to invest in a small piece of electrical tape to put over the button so that you won't lose it. Having to use a paperclip to change lenses *sucks*.
07-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #25
Forum Member

good idea. I will put small tape on it, just in case. thanks.
I will eventually call pentax and get replacement.