Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
1- Take card out of camera before reformatting the card
2- Plug into computer
3- Transfer pictures
4- If this doesn't work,
4b- Buy a 32GB card and be done with it

To further aleonx3 comment, 32GB is the limit of the supported capacity of the K5. The camera does support SDHC and SDXC but is limited to 32GB as per Pentax literature. Some 64GB may work but technically, the camera doesn't support them.
It is not real obvious,* but the OP has a K-5 IIs and 64GB cards are on the OK list for that camera. At least, Ricoh says they have tested Panasonic, Toshiba, and SanDisk cards of that size and SanDisk up to 128GB.

Steve

* Stated as K-5s in the post, but in the user profile is K-5 IIs.

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-23-2014 at 06:09 PM.
04-23-2014, 06:16 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is not real obvious,* but the OP has a K-5 IIs and 64GB cards are on the OK list for that camera. At least, Ricoh says they have tested Panasonic, Toshiba, and SanDisk cards of that size and SanDisk up to 128GB.
Sorry I didn't notice that...

So knowing this, I'd go with Adam's suggestion and format in ExFAT using a PC... SDXC in FAT32 (as the camera probably formats the card as) is renowned for doing exactly this...
04-23-2014, 08:26 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
I now uses 3 Sandisk Extreme 32GB 45MB/s version and 2 80MB/s version, only time one failed on me is when I sat on it and broke it physically...
Uh, why didn't you think of uploading the photos to your computer before you sat on the card!?
04-23-2014, 09:17 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
I got 2 Sony 32GB SDHC cards , 90MB/s version, painfully slow to clear buffer after a burst and can only be recognised by my K-5, got card error msg when put them in K-30 and K-01, formatting doesn't help at all. I now uses 3 Sandisk Extreme 32GB 45MB/s version and 2 80MB/s version, only time one failed on me is when I sat on it and broke it physically...

My 2 cents
Wait a minute, I thought those sandisk cards are supposedly indestructible, and covered by warranty? true or not true?

04-23-2014, 11:01 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
32 gb god for video, surveillance cameras , bulk storage off computer, not recommended for daily shooting for reasons previously mentioned.
04-25-2014, 04:29 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
Sorry I didn't notice that...

So knowing this, I'd go with Adam's suggestion and format in ExFAT using a PC... SDXC in FAT32 (as the camera probably formats the card as) is renowned for doing exactly this...
I would not suggest anyone format an SDXC card in FAT32...IF formatted in FAT32 It will cause any SDXC Device (SDXC compatible camera) to render errors when the card is inserted.. The Standard format for SDXC is..... EXFAT

Gents If you care to learn more please read this and other articles on this site....It has really good information regarding Sd Cards . . https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/sdxc_capabilities/using_sdxc#cards-for-pcs

Question for the OP are you getting the Format Error on the camera or you computer OS?
04-25-2014, 04:43 PM   #22

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The error "card not formatted" is happening on the camera - Pentax K5S
Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
I would not suggest anyone format an SDXC card in FAT32...IF formatted in FAT32 It will cause any SDXC Device (SDXC compatible camera) to render errors when the card is inserted.. The Standard format for SDXC is..... EXFAT

Gents If you care to learn more please read this and other articles on this site....It has really good information regarding Sd Cards . . https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/sdxc_capabilities/using_sdxc#cards-for-pcs

Question for the OP are you getting the Format Error on the camera or you computer OS?
04-25-2014, 05:01 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I would not suggest anyone format an SDXC card in FAT32...
Yeah, I wrote it too fast on a too tiny keyboard. In no way I suggested FAT32.

So here we go with a better sentence.:

"So knowing this, I'd go with Adam's suggestion and format your 64GB SDXC Card in ExFAT using a PC... If you format an SDXC Card in FAT32 (as the camera probably does) it will cause this error message (Card not formatted)."

04-25-2014, 05:08 PM   #24
Pentaxian

If you format your card on your PC or Mac I recommend you use the SD Card Org utility to do this. This should eliminate any incompatibility issues that could be introduced on the PC/Mac side.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4
04-26-2014, 03:40 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If you format your card on your PC or Mac I recommend you use the SD Card Org utility to do this. This should eliminate any incompatibility issues that could be introduced on the PC/Mac side.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4
+++++++1! Thank you for reiterating this as I have said it a few times in the forum and directed members to this site.

If you do download this software & you are using SDXC cards you may need to download the SDXC "add on" through the link found in the download section for your computer.

OP try downloading this software and do the add on if needed. Then reformat your SDXC cards using a "Full Format". It will take a bit of time for them to format but it will delete and map any bad sectors on your cards and insure the correct file system is on your cards. Then if your camera gives you errors and other cards are able to be read then it is more than likely not recognizing the exfat file system and may need to be serviced as it is supposed to read Fat16, Fat32 and Exfat. The SDXC card is not backward compatible so if formatted with Fat32 it will render errors.

I do need to correct an error on my part by suggesting exfat for SDHC cards as I have recently learned on the SanDisk site the SDHC cards standard file system is Fat32. I presumed they also were using the exfat system.
SD/SDHC/SDXC Specifications and Compatibility

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 04-26-2014 at 03:46 AM.
04-26-2014, 07:34 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I do need to correct an error on my part by suggesting exfat for SDHC cards as I have recently learned on the SanDisk site the SDHC cards standard file system is Fat32. I presumed they also were using the exfat system.
SD/SDHC/SDXC Specifications and Compatibility
There is also this on the SD Card Org site:
https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/sdxc_capabilities/using_sdxc
QuoteQuote:

Understanding Backwards Compatibility
  • SDXC memory cards must only with SDXC devices.
  • SDXC devices can use SD, SDHC and SDXC memory cards.
  • SDHC memory cards can be used with SDHC and SDXC devices.
  • SDHC devices can use both SD and SDHC memory cards.
  • SD devices can only use SD memory cards.

Only Use SDXC Memory Cards in SDXC Devices

SDXC devices are backwards compatible, so they accept SD and SDHC memory cards. SDXC memory cards must only be used with SDXC devices and should never be used in non-compatible devices. If you need to format an SDXC memory card, you can typically format it by using your SDXC device or by using the SD Formatter 3.0 with your computer.

If an SDXC memory card is inserted into a computer or device that does not support the SDXC standard, a message may prompt you to format the card. Do not format the SDXC memory card in a non-compatible device because it will erase the data on the SDXC memory card and format the card for a different file system, making it incompatible with SDXC devices.
To use SDXC on your PC/MAC the OS needs to support exFAT You may need an add-on/update (Windows XP and Mac OS X (v10.6.5 Snow Leopard and later). The SD slot/reader must also be SDXC compatible. If you have a SD slot on a PC the SDXC driver will work only if the slot supports the driver. You may need to buy a SDXC compatable reader.
02-24-2015, 08:49 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I've had the same issue with my K-5IIs and several cards. A Sandisk 16GB, PNY 32GB, and now my Mobi eyefi 8GB, all SDHC. I turn on the camera and it says "Card Not Formatted" even though it was just working fine on my computer, and when I plug it back into my PC it tells me to format the card. My firmware is version 1.07 - the latest. Any other ideas?
02-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #28
Site Supporter

I had similar problems with a couple of PNY cards a couple of years ago with my K-5. I found the 'official' SD card organization formatter (https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html, used it, and most of the card reading/"not formatted" problems went away. YMMV.

My Sandisk cards have given my absolutely no trouble, so I try to stick with them when possible. [Beware of counterfeit Sandisk cards sold on ebay.]

Cheers,
Lou