Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No card in the camera?

I was panic-stricken yesterday as I finished some landscape shots; I noticed the battery was nearly depleted and instead of switching to my backup, I decided it was time to pack it in and head home. I switched off my K-5 but for some reason it did not shut down! Although totally unresponsive, even to switching it back on and off, the top LCD continued to show information. So I did finally take out the nearly-depleted battery and replace it with my spare. I seldom go out without a fully-charged spare and here was one time I was really glad to have it available - I wanted to know immediately if I really had a problem.

But here's where concern turned to panic. No response at all! Nothing, nada, zip, zilch, no display, no thump from the Shake Reduction engaging, completely lifeless. Once home, I took the card out and got involved in a few other things and finally ran out of wake time. I resolved to search the forums in the morning, hoping to find, or stumble upon, a solution for later today, knowing I could go to my K-7, which I've kept for just such an occurrence. I found nothing that matched my predicament, so I put the battery in the K-7 and fired it up. Uh oh - it's not turning on either! So, I guess my fully-charged backup battery was merely pocket fodder .

I put one of the dead batteries in the charger, got out my old faithful K-10, popped in the SD card and went for a walk (that battery had been sitting in the camera for awhile, unused, but the charge was still good). I had do a little mental gymnastics to get re-accustomed to the K-10, but it still felt good in my hands. It was a bit like a short time-machine journey and just long enough for the battery to charge up. When I got home I put the now-charged battery in the K-5 and ... YES, it was alive! I was so elated just to see those words "No card in the camera" on the LCD.

I think I'm going to get a little more anal about being ABSOLUTELY sure the spare is charged!

Last edited by jamarley; 04-25-2014 at 03:49 PM. Reason: needs new title
04-26-2014, 03:07 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a similar experience with a dud aftermarket battery. Not fun! :-)
04-26-2014, 05:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I LOL'd!

Serendipity strikes!